Guardian newspaper - The liberation of Belsen, 75 years on.

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
Interesting article. On reading your post I thought I had pictures of Belsen in my collection but turns out they were of Vught, a concentration camp in the Netherlands. I used some photos of it for one of my books. At left are the IWM images by a British war photographer named Laing, showing the electric fence, gallows, and portable crematorium for burning bodies. Vught was not explicitly an extermination camp, so they didn't need the large industrial crematoria of the death camps.

The article made me think of these images, particularly the soldier who still remembers the terrible sights of Belsen. At right are photos from a private collection - a platoon commander from the Calgary Highlanders had donated all his pictures to our regimental archives. Included in them was this road sign to the camp, as well as a posed snap by the camp crematorium. Sgt. Laing had taken a photo of this oven with the human bones lying in front, these intrepid Canadians seem a bit more blasé about the thing - but of course people deal with traumatic experiences in different ways. Lieutenant McKenzie, at centre, is the source of the photos. I talked to him on the phone once when I was talking about using his photos for the book. I never did ask him about the crematoria photo. Feels like a missed opportunity now but I'm not sure how I would have put it into words.

JoeArthur

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
I have been to Vught. It is near Hertogenbosch and I was in that town for the big Hieronymus Bosch art exhibition a few years back - I called in on the way to that.

I was stunned to see that the camp was in a middle of a very pretty forest which is a Dutch holiday resort area. Then you realise when you round people up - where are you going to put them? In empty holiday resorts where there is accomodation. These then become concentration camps..............

They have now built a modern prison right next to the camp - which seems slightly ill advised.

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
I've only visited one in person, the transit camp at Westerbork, which Anne Frank was kept at on the way to Auschwitz. Like other camps, it was set off in the woods - out of sight, out of mind I guess.

Ric of The LBC

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I've only visited one in person, the transit camp at Westerbork, which Anne Frank was kept at on the way to Auschwitz. Like other camps, it was set off in the woods - out of sight, out of mind I guess.
I visited Dachau in '90. I don't understand how anyone can live in the homes that are adjacent and overlook the camp.

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
I visited Dachau in '90. I don't understand how anyone can live in the homes that are adjacent and overlook the camp.
I wonder if the people living there aren't extra courteous to strangers, with such a potent reminder sitting in front of them.