GS up for sale again?

olli

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llGermany
Saw a message on FB that this site is up for sale again anybody any news on this?

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
So they can take even longer getting new product out the door,,,not to mention probably more expensive?
Websites don't cost that much money, and they could write off the nominal cost as a marketing expense. The concern about limited resources and expense is therefore a non-starter.

Having said that, though, I can't see MMP deriving any benefit from hosting a third-party discussion forum.

Primarily, they don't need to market ASL, as they have a very captive and loyal audience already. If they were concerned about new sales they would spend more resources keeping the SKs and core modules in print. Since they can still sell out a P500 of a scenario pack in a matter of hours to all the guys who already own the core system, they can concentrate on that - and there is no need to own a third party discussion forum for that since they already communicate with their fanbase in a number of other ways.

holdit

Reaction score
Country
llIreland
Does this site generate any revenue or is it just a hobby within a hobby?

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
I think that it generates no revenue and its maintenance requires a cost.
There are no mandatory fees for us to pay, btw.
And no advertising - except the usual 15+ spam messages from New Delhi about CND gummies and male enhancers that the mods have to remove every single day.
Not speaking about the fact that managing the ASL crowd is like pastoring a herd of cats.

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
You will see at least two Gold members in this thread who donated cash towards the maintenance of the site. The costs and income have never been revealed. I suspect any profit would have been modest.

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
That must be the worst bit of all. Most of the cats here are feral.
Well, really only a minority are feral. But they know how to make noise - quite like my real life two cats (and those tend to speak more and more as they are growing older).
I find the forums much less a pain than during my first duties as a Moderator (2003-2008): those were wild times. But the usual suspects of that era have either scampered elsewhere or have developed more positive attitudes.

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
I think that it generates no revenue and its maintenance requires a cost.
There are no mandatory fees for us to pay, btw.
And no advertising - except the usual 15+ spam messages from New Delhi about CND gummies and male enhancers that the mods have to remove every single day.
Not speaking about the fact that managing the ASL crowd is like pastoring a herd of cats.
Just open a can of wet food for them and watch the stampede!🤣

Brad M-V

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
There should be an annual $5 membership fee; if they truly don't make anything from these forms, then why worry if that chases people off? It would at least weed out what they need to get rid, mostly. ;-) Besides, who can't afford $5 a year? Nonmembers can read still, but just can't post...

lluis61

Reaction score
First name
Luis
Country
llSpain
There should be an annual $5 membership fee; if they truly don't make anything from these forms, then why worry if that chases people off? It would at least weed out what they need to get rid, mostly. ;-) Besides, who can't afford $5 a year? Nonmembers can read still, but just can't post...
I agree. The supporting fees are a bit onerous for the common members, specially considering that 90% of the people here think that $20 is a step to buy another module, or dice, or whatever ASL related. A symbolic one of $5 could multiply the number of supporting members and add a good flow of cash to this forum. I will support at the current fees, because I like this forum and I want it to be alive in the future but, why not a bronze supporting member who has the privilege to post? My lads, where do you will find AARs a-plenty, thorough advice on the rules and a myriad of other things related to ASL, including good humor and comradeship?

Mister T

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
Since MMP has the most to lose from the termination of the forum, it is best-placed to make a bid for it.

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
Since MMP has the most to lose from the termination of the forum, it is best-placed to make a bid for it.
From what I can tell, MMP loses nothing from the termination of this forum. Everything it offers them is available elsewhere.

I'd even go so far as to suggest that MMP would gain by termination of this forum, as players would naturally and more consistently seek out the other sources of information.

lluis61

Reaction score
First name
Luis
Country
llSpain
From what I can tell, MMP loses nothing from the termination of this forum. Everything it offers them is available elsewhere.

I'd even go so far as to suggest that MMP would gain by termination of this forum, as players would naturally and more consistently seek out the other sources of information.
Exactly. MMP has no quarter or dime to gain from this forum. This is a free forum, open to TPPs, and that are the most benefitted by the forum. And in fact, MMP has been doing its part since two years ago, keeping the core modules alive and giving exciting new HASL modules. But, my point is that we the players are the most benefitted. Look at other forums and see what happens there. We are here to discuss, argue and declare anything about ASL related. Don't search any "institutional" support. The thing is if we are strong enough to keep this forum running or not. Not decide if we migrate to an "official" (and hypotethical) forum.

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
No idea what "buying" this forum would cost.
But I reckon, it is more the "running" rather than the "buying" which is the fuss.

von Marwitz