GS up for sale again?

footsteps

Just visiting
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
The profile link is to jog your memory, the site looked a lot different back when Don was active and there were a number of blogs which were highly profiled. The site used to have a front page and gaming articles - it actually looked a lot like grogheads.com looks today, with the forum intended to be the 'back end' where we would discuss the stuff on the front end. But over time the site kind of became an ASL forum with some other discussions thrown in and much of the marquee site content has been dispensed with.

In other words, it isn't a surprise that the political forum got dissolved, but what is surprising is just how much of the other stuff has disappeared also without anyone even noticing. :) The front page/landing site now has a short introduction and a link directly to this forum. All the blogs, articles, etc. (where you would find the political stuff) is gone. The political stuff got - at least as I recall it - very little attention paid to it, but I suppose not much of the marquee content did either. It was a lot of work, and I think just two people were providing it - Scott Tortorice and Don.

I can't even remember all the names the site has had. Strategy Zone Online was one of them. And I think, even before I registered here, the forum was linked to the Armchair General site?
My bookmark for GS has always (almost 14 years now!) taken me directly to the ASL forum, as that's the only thing on this site that has interested me. So I have no context for the changes to the site that have happened outside of the ASL forum. The discussion in this thread is sort of interesting, but on little consequence to my continued participation in the ASL forum.

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
My bookmark for GS has always (almost 14 years now!) taken me directly to the ASL forum, as that's the only thing on this site that has interested me. So I have no context for the changes to the site that have happened outside of the ASL forum. The discussion in this thread is sort of interesting, but on little consequence to my continued participation in the ASL forum.
It's not about you. :) The question was asked what the creator of this site might have thought about political discussion, I tried to provide some context to cast light on that question. Others may have different memories of the period, I can only go off of memory as not a lot of the "old" site remains. But it's worthwhile noting how we got here nonetheless. My memory is that attempts to talk politics back when the forum was an adjunct to a (mostly video) gaming site didn't gain much traction but that the creator did try to do so. Worth noting also Don was a very heavy "free speech" guy and tended to fewer restrictions on what people talked about rather than more. There was just not an extraordinary amount of interest that I can remember in the handful of political discussions (many of which he started) at the time.

JimWhite

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
DISCLAIMER: none of this is directed at you specifically...just responding in a general way.

For me with the divisive and often nasty discourse that happens in the name of "political discussion" anymore, I'm glad to go to a forum where this is none, and none is tolerated.
I've always been curious...how does somebody confirm that a particular section is "divisive and often nasty" unless they actually click on that section's link and read the posts?

Then if they decide that to be the case...why would they keep going back? Why would they not just ignore it?

It should be left up to the site owner. If someone feels strongly about adding a political section, let them buy the forum and run it as they see fit.
The flip side of that coin is that if an owner decided to provide a political section then people should not complain if it happens to be in a forum where those same people choose to participate in other sections.

Just don't click on it.

bendizoid

Official ***** Dickweed
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
DISCLAIMER: none of this is directed at you specifically...just responding in a general way.

I've always been curious...how does somebody confirm that a particular section is "divisive and often nasty" unless they actually click on that section's link and read the posts?

Then if they decide that to be the case...why would they keep going back? Why would they not just ignore it?

The flip side of that coin is that if an owner decided to provide a political section then people should not complain if it happens to be in a forum where those same people choose to participate in other sections.

Just don't click on it.
Some people ain’t happy unless they ain’t happy.

hongkongwargamer

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Anyhooo .. lemme know if any of y'all bought GS. Will see what you planned then.

Wanna switch everything but ASL off? Wanna switch everything back on? Have at it. I know I ain't a paying client and managing GS ain't an easy job. Good luck!

I don't like the heavy handed moderation I saw before so I have a "forum/ channel" I can switch to and that I spend most of my time on. I am good. :)

Last edited:

Martin Mayers

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Gulagwanker
Country
llUkraine
I found the Politics and Religion forum divisive, nasty, distasteful and extremely entertaining...

Bizarrely, solely from P&R I have relationships in a loose kind of way with people I perhaps might not have had were it not for P&R.

And for those saying the site is an ASL site. I say, it's a site for ASL hobbyists. Just like my footie site is a site for supporters of Stockport County FC. If said hobbyists want to discuss Politics it should be absolutely allowed in my humble opinion.

All that said...it's up to the owner of any site what they allow on it.

Paul_RS

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
I found the Politics and Religion forum divisive, nasty, distasteful and extremely entertaining...

Bizarrely, solely from P&R I have relationships in a loose kind of way with people I perhaps might not have had were it not for P&R.

And for those saying the site is an ASL site. I say, it's a site for ASL hobbyists. Just like my footie site is a site for supporters of Stockport County FC. If said hobbyists want to discuss Politics it should be absolutely allowed in my humble opinion.

All that said...it's up to the owner of any site what they allow on it.
So when is the ASL folder kicking off on the Stockport County footie site? :)

Martin Mayers

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Gulagwanker
Country
llUkraine
So when is the ASL folder kicking off on the Stockport County footie site? :)
There's no folders. We have on occasion discussed weird hobbies including ASL. There are a few guys genuinely interested. One guy knew what it was. And I have one guy who would like to try playing it at some point.

dlazov

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
I like the computer war game section, but not a lot of traffic there.

dlazov

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
Shrapnel Games Steel Panthers WW2 is the only SP to play, it the only SP that has been updated and upgraded since 1998. SPWaW has not been updated since 2004 and does not run or function properly on Windows 10. SP:WW2 is and does.

SP WW2 is the best hands down!

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
Shrapnel Games Steel Panthers WW2 is the only SP to play, it the only SP that has been updated and upgraded since 1998. SPWaW has not been updated since 2004 and does not run or function properly on Windows 10. SP:WW2 is and does.

SP WW2 is the best hands down!

Back in the days when I still played computer games, I have sunk quite some time into the original (?) version of Steel Panthers. Fun stuff. I remember that I liked the 'big guns' creating caters and smoke. And the German 88's were just hell at long ranges just as they were in reality.

SP WW2 might be worth checking out.

A couple of weeks ago, I found another very old computer game, which I used to dabble with looong time ago: Empire. It is really ancient - from 1977, thus coming a bit after 'Pong' but before 'Pacman'. In fact, Empire is as old as Squad Leader.

Not a complicated game, not even a WW2 wargame, but it was addictive nevertheless. I was surprised to find out, that it still exists after 44 years. For the fun of it, I bought a license for some 20 USD and have revelled playing it again for some time now in its current version (EDCE).

von Marwitz

Last edited:

nekengren2

Reaction score
First name
Neal
Country
llUnited States
Back in the days when I still played computer games, I have sunk quite some time into the original (?) version of Steel Panthers. Fun stuff. I remember that I liked the 'big guns' creating caters and smoke. And the German 88's were just hell at long ranges just as they were in reality.

von Marwitz
Empire is a great game. One of those, "just one more turn" games. very addictive.