Gruntz 15mm Sci-Fi

Scott Tortorice

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Like I said in the other post, I feel like a kid in a candy store. :laugh:

http://www.gruntz.biz/

[video=youtube;o8R0xBshH-o]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o8R0xBshH-o[/video]

A 4x4 playing surface is small?!? Gah! How big a playing area do minis gamers use these days?

prymus

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I use a 4'x6' gaming table. But that is mainly because I'm anal about having area for maneuver. I hate wall to wall minis games. I have used my table for games of just 6 squads per side with one tank each. But I will admit that I do a lot of gaming that could be accomplished on a 4'x4' table.I do sometimes use a 3'x8' board when I'm doing a largish Napoleonic game, again just to gain that extra room for maneuver. But I realize that not everyone is lucky enough to have a gaming space as large as mine. I have had a 5'x12' game setup before, It was a large East Front WW2 battle based on Kursk. It was a campaign game in micro scale and we did 6 different dates, much like a ASL campaign, we had a purchase system and casualty return system. It was a blast, a friend took pics promising to get me some but I never saw them.That was back in '93 and have not done another.:upset:

Ruarigh

Born-again Viking
Reaction score
Country
llPeru
A 4x4 playing surface is small?!? Gah! How big a playing area do minis gamers use these days?
My gaming table is 6'*4' but a lot of the games I play will fit easily in a 4'x3' area, with some of the skirmish games, like Gloire/ 45 Adventures/ etc, designed for 2'x2' boards even in 28mm. I'm lucky enough to have an office/games room that is large enough for the big table, although my main reason for wanting a big table was so that I could set up and play Streets of Stalingrad 3rd Ed. The table is currently in the garage being refurbished for this purpose. The idea is to have a two level table. The lower surface will hold the boardgame for the next ten years, or however long it takes to play, while drop leaves that slot in on top will preserve the counters from disturbance by cats and will provide a gaming surface for other games when SoS (or other large games) palls. I really should get on and finish putting the table back together!

I love the terrain and game reports that the Gruntz guys do. I bought the rules as a pdf ages ago, but have never played them. Currently I am struggling to learn Tomorrow's War. I've read the rules but trying to play the game and remember the rules makes my head ache. I think that part of the problem is that the rules are not written concisely, so some of the meaning gets lost in the verbiage. Still, the games we have played have been enjoyable enough and I am sure that familiarity with the rules will make them better.

Ruarigh

Born-again Viking
Reaction score
Country
llPeru
Gack, double post. :(

Last edited:

prymus

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Your table project sounds cool. No cats here so I don't have to worry about that, and I'm so anal that I must complete a game before I start another. And I mean complete the game, not pick it up midway through. Had the Red Barricades campaign game !! setup for 7 months before we finished.Wanted so badly to play a game of Nappy minis but just couldn't do it until I finished the RB game. Sometimes I think there is something seriously wrong with me. No, I know there is!:crosseye:

Ruarigh

Born-again Viking
Reaction score
Country
llPeru
Sometimes I think there is something seriously wrong with me. No, I know there is!:crosseye:
Heh, I know the feeling. My problem is that I am easily distracted by new rules and new periods. Every so often I try to have a clear-out and focus on just a few, but I always wind up getting into new stuff, and so does my regular gaming partner. He leads me astray! Honest!! Well, that's what my wife says anyway.

I envy you completing a Red Barricades campaign game. I would love to play that, but have no ASL opponents near me, and my regular gaming buddy is years away from playing it. If I could get him playing the SK stuff every week then I might get him to the point where it was a possibility, but he struggles when he has more than half a dozen units to control (or so he says!). His tendency to charge with all his troops is also more appropriate to the Dark Ages games we play. :)

With Streets of Stalingrad, I had thought we might play on alternate weeks, which would help to keep it fresh for us, letting us continue our Rally Round the King campaign, while also making a reasonable amount of progress. Once the table is set up, I shall try him on a couple of the smaller scenarios and see how it goes.

Scott Tortorice

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I love the terrain and game reports that the Gruntz guys do. I bought the rules as a pdf ages ago, but have never played them. Currently I am struggling to learn Tomorrow's War. I've read the rules but trying to play the game and remember the rules makes my head ache. I think that part of the problem is that the rules are not written concisely, so some of the meaning gets lost in the verbiage. Still, the games we have played have been enjoyable enough and I am sure that familiarity with the rules will make them better.
Yeah, I am just getting into the rule book and I am...concerned as well. :)