Ground Support: "Rockets" and "PTAB"

commissar1969

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Gentlemen:

SSR6 of scenario "The Fuehrer's Firemen" (published by On All Fronts, Sept '87 issue, pp. 7-8) states that the Soviet player receives Sturmovik support and that he may choose among "82mm rockets, PTAB, or 150 HE."

Where are the rules for rockets? What are "PTAB" and where can I find the rules for them?

Thanks in advance,

Commie

Paul M. Weir

Forum Guru
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Country
llIreland
PTAB are small 2.5kg HEAT bomblets (1.5kg HE). They were the equivalent of cluster bomblets, they were dropped individually or from cassettes. From what I read they were sometimes just heaped up in bomb bays (wince)! Up to 280 could be carried by the IL-2 Shturmovik.

One source for the rules is the original HoB's "Onslaught To Orsha". BFP will republish OtO and already have used some of the rules in their Crucible Of Steel.

commissar1969

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
PTAB are small 2.5kg HEAT bomblets (1.5kg HE). They were the equivalent of cluster bomblets, they were dropped individually or from cassettes. From what I read they were sometimes just heaped up in bomb bays (wince)! Up to 280 could be carried by the IL-2 Shturmovik.

One source for the rules is the original HoB's "Onslaught To Orsha". BFP will republish OtO and already have used some of the rules in their Crucible Of Steel.
While I appreciate the history lesson, I was asking where these rules can be found in the ASLRB or in an issue of OAF.

Paul M. Weir

Forum Guru
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Country
llIreland
I can't recall where the FF rules for such are...could be on the front inside cover or the back inside cover?
You might be thinking of HoB's Fuehrer's Firemen pack, rather than a OaF scenario.

commissar1969

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
No, I'm talking about On All Fronts. I even named cited the issue and page number. I'm looking at it now - it has "On all Fronts" printed on the upper left side. If you have the old OAF issues, you'll be able to find it easily.

Vinnie

See Dummies in the index
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
I think they might be generalizing the effects so you get sturmovil support as 80mm rocket OBA or 150mm OBA. But this is very much a guess.

Paul M. Weir

Forum Guru
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Country
llIreland
I don't know about OaF, but neither rockets nor PTAB are covered in the RB. The RB basically lumps all dropped "stuff" under Bombs. HoB's OtO is 2002 which means that those rules were well, well after that '87 issue of OaF.

commissar1969

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I think they might be generalizing the effects so you get sturmovil support as 80mm rocket OBA or 150mm OBA. But this is very much a guess.
No, I'm afraid armament for Air Support cannot be received as OBA. The Sturmoviks are fighter-bombers and not Spotter aircraft.

PTY

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
They may be in the issue before. I don't have it, but that is my best guess.

Justiciar

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I looked at my issue, I could not find the special rule for the rockets...but a few issues later there was another special SSR "ramming" and the rules were written up for it. So maybe in that issue with FF they forgot to insert the rules? I did not do a thorough check maybe in an earlier issue there were rockets, and the rules are in that earlier issue and they assumed you would go back to that one to find them? Mind you they should have said see issue XXXX had they done that. So my guess is there is a goof on their part.

Justiciar

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I noted that Walt Harrar was a play tester of that scenario, while he does not post here, his buddy "Major Issues" does (see the AAR section), maybe you could send the major a PM and ask him to ask Walt if he remembers or knows how the rockets worked... It may take awhile to get your answer as the major just started a new job and he might be less regular checking in here than usual...