Gridiron Help Needed

Vinnie

See Dummies in the index
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Help needed here folks. I've been persuaded to pay in a Fantasy Gridiron league (along with my wife who knows even less than I do.) The draft is coming up and I have not a clue who to go for. What are your recommendations for my picks?

I could go with my wife's method which is to look at pictures of players and go, "Mmm, I like that one..." maybe substituting cheerleaders in stead?

Last edited:

wrongway149

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Help needed here folks. I've been persuaded to pay in a Fantasy Gridiron league (along with my wife who knows even less than I do.) The draft is coming up and I have not a clue who to go for. What are your recommendations for my picks?

I could go with my wife's method which is to look at pictures of players and go, "Mmm, I like that one..." maybe substituting cheerleaders in stead?
First off, always look at a schedule and notice 'Bye' weeks for certain teams. Even the best players score zero points during their teams' bye week.

For example, week 8:

Cincinnati, Kansas City, New England, Pittsburgh, Tampa Bay, and Washington all don't play. So you don't want to have too many starters from these teams, or have Carson Palmer as your starting QB and Ben Roethlisberger as your only back up.

Some fantasy GMS don't worry about it too much during the draft and just try to get some scrub off the waiver wire before his starter's bye week, but if your league charges for this it can get costly.

Much more to winning a league than just getting talented players. In fact I've found it too difficult to do this and also prepare for ASLOk.

just basic advice from my limited experience.

Last edited:

Psycho

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
Also, it seems everyone picks up a RB 1st rd. I've been told you should go for a big time WR (Fitzgerald, Andre Johnson or Calvin Johnson) cuz you can pick up a RB later. You may not get one of the top 5 RBs but there won't be much of a drop off. A top 3 WR can potentially score you bigger points.

This is my fantasy lineup:

QB - Tom Brady, NE & Matt Hasselbeck, SEA
RB - Adrian Peterson, MIN & Thomas Jones, NYJ
WR - Larry Fitzgerald, ARI & Greg Jennings, GNB
TE - Brent Celek, PHI
K - Stephen Gostkowski, NE
D - Steelers

Ours is a relatively small league :)

Vinnie

See Dummies in the index
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
ours is a 12 player league on NFL.Com. It looks like there will be a couple of spaces though unless anyone out there wants in?

I was having the Raiders D recommended to me. Are they any good?

Bret Hildebran

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Know how points are scored in your league and rate your players accordingly. Pick up a draft magazine or look at on-line ratings - there's tons of good info out there, just makes sure to understand how the ratings are formed relative to how your league scores (e.g. if it's a point per catch league, MJD is a better pick than AP).

NFL.com's on-line rankings are decent - they won't steer you ridiculously wrong in all likelihood although I think they have Michael Turner far higher than I'm comfortable with given his workload last year.

Good luck...

Bret Hildebran

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
QB - Tom Brady, NE & Matt Hasselbeck, SEA
RB - Adrian Peterson, MIN & Thomas Jones, NYJ
WR - Larry Fitzgerald, ARI & Greg Jennings, GNB
TE - Brent Celek, PHI
K - Stephen Gostkowski, NE
D - Steelers

Ours is a relatively small league :)
Brady, AP & Fitzgerald? 5 person league & you were picking 1 snaring them 1-10-11? Frankly in a real league (e.g. ~12 teams), I think you'd have to get real lucky to land both Brady & Fitzgerald and it would be impossible to get AP (unless it's the "other AP") and either of those other two...

Psycho

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
Know how points are scored in your league and rate your players accordingly. Pick up a draft magazine or look at on-line ratings - there's tons of good info out there, just makes sure to understand how the ratings are formed relative to how your league scores (e.g. if it's a point per catch league, MJD is a better pick than AP).

NFL.com's on-line rankings are decent - they won't steer you ridiculously wrong in all likelihood although I think they have Michael Turner far higher than I'm comfortable with given his workload last year.

Good luck...
Good point. The strategy I was given that I related above would not work in a league run by my friend. In his league QBs get only 1 pt for every 25 yds thrown for a QBs & WRs share a TD. In most leagues they are treated as the equals of RBs (1 pt for every 10 yds and full credit for a TD). :thumup:

mfl

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Vinnie,
1. Always go with the cheerleaders.
2. Here is a fairly up to date roster rating+ news site. http://fantasynews.cbssports.com/fantasyfootball/rankings
(don't worry about the $ symbols they are about the special type of draft)
3. Don't spend much on anything, including draft stuff. It is about fun.
4. Try get atleast one good player for the RB, QB, and WR postions. Backups in those positions might also have some value.
5. Make a good bet with your wife.
Mike

Psycho

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
Brady, AP & Fitzgerald? 5 person league & you were picking 1 snaring them 1-10-11? Frankly in a real league (e.g. ~12 teams), I think you'd have to get real lucky to land both Brady & Fitzgerald and it would be impossible to get AP (unless it's the "other AP") and either of those other two...
This one is a capped league and you build a team. Others can have some of the same players but it is unlikely to have the same exact team. You can change players from week to week as their cap number changes. I plan on dumping Jones within a week or two and picking up McFadden who gets an easier schedule. Might dump Hasselbeck depending on his performance. :)

Marty Ward

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Definately know the scoring rules.
Watch what other people are drafting. The differeance between the top 5 running backs and 6-20 over the course of the season is 4-5 point per game. The differnce between 6 and 20 is 1-2 points per game. The same hold true for the best recievers and quarterbacks. So try to get a top 5 in one of those positions. If you can get 2 or 3 of them then take'em even if they are in the same position. Trades are your friend if you have a top draft pick to offer!
After rounds 1-3 make sure you get guys that will play every game and get the bll. You will need running backs. Running backs generally get more touches, therefore more opportinities to get points. Plus they get hurt more often. Try to get 4-5 starting backs on your team. If you have a choice between two backs from the same team get the one who they give it to inside the 5 as they will have more scoring opportunities.
There aren't many top line TE's so once you get your starting QB,RB qnd WR's look to see it one of the top ones are left. Gates, Gonzales, Daniels, Whitten and Shinone (?) are probably the top 5. But don't sweat it if you don't get one of them.
Get a defense that creates turnovers and has good special teams. Bears, Ravens, Steelers and Giants are good bets. You might want to get a top defense if no top 5 TE is available around round 10 (assumng a 15 round draft). Usually defenses and kickers are chosen near the end of the draft. Your kicker should be drafted last as you really cannot predict points for them and there is no point in wasting a pick on them.
Pay attention early in the seson. Sometime a guy no one looked at just blossoms. Last year I was able to pick up Chris Johnson, Steve Slaton and Desean Jackson in the first 3 weeks and did they ever produce! Also don't be afraid to trade.
Good luck!

Vinnie

See Dummies in the index
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Well here's the players I drafted...comments?

Rivers, Philip QB SD
Smith, Kevin RB DET
Tomlinson, LaDainian RB SD
Bryant, Antonio WR TB
Coles, Laveranues WR CIN
Smith, Steve WR CAR
Keller, Dustin TE NYJ
Gould, Robbie K CHI
Ravens DST
Manning, Eli QB NYG
Sproles, Darren RB SD
Ward, Derrick RB TB DAL
Crabtree, Michael WR SF
Moore, Lance WR NO

Psycho

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
Well here's the players I drafted...comments?
Rivers, Philip QB SD - very good pick
Smith, Kevin RB DET - yikes, wouldn't take anybody except Johnson from DET
Tomlinson, LaDainian RB SD - good pick (if he stays healthy)
Bryant, Antonio WR TB - tough call, TB has so many questions right now
Coles, Laveranues WR CIN - might be a good pick, he is good and Chad will get the majority of attention
Smith, Steve WR CAR - very good pick
Keller, Dustin TE NYJ - prob good since they have a rookie QB
Gould, Robbie K CHI - it's a kicker
Ravens DST - great pick
Manning, Eli QB NYG - might be good, depends on his WR holding onto balls
Sproles, Darren RB SD - I like him better than LT
Ward, Derrick RB TB - should be good
Crabtree, Michael WR SF - he missed the whole preseason, I would have stayed away from him
Moore, Lance WR NO - pretty good pick up cuz NO likes slinging the ball around

Vinnie

See Dummies in the index
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Well the season has now ended for me with a 4-10 record. Not so great actually. What is especially aggravating is my wife who chose her team on the basis of " he looks cute" and " he's got an interesting name" has gone into the playoffs with the best record of 10-3-1. *****!

MLaPanzer

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Well the season has now ended for me with a 4-10 record. Not so great actually. What is especially aggravating is my wife who chose her team on the basis of " he looks cute" and " he's got an interesting name" has gone into the playoffs with the best record of 10-3-1. *****!
Never ever play these types of things with women. It will drive you nuts.:nuts:

Marty Ward

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Who did you end up with?

Vinnie

See Dummies in the index
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Phil Rivers QB
Kevin Smith RB
Ladaniuan Tomlinson RB

WRs were a problem I ended up with a very poor corps
Donnie Avery
Pierre Garcon
Steve Smith

TE was not a great position for me. Although he did OK everytime I played my opponents TE had a great day after doing nothing for them for most of the season
Zach Miller

Kicker
Matt Prater

DST these guys really prodded buttock for me

Ravens

mfl

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
In the playoffs, in the league I'm in. Very even league. Playoff teams are 9-4-1, 8-5-1 (me), 8-6, and one out of the 5 teams at 5-5 got in. Next week we compete for the championship and the other teams vie for 3rd/4th, 5th/6th and such.
Vinnie I hope you had fun no matter that your wife did so well. You might want to think about a christmas give for her. Maybe a uniform of one of her players? Or would she get too much milage out of that!
Mike

Marty Ward

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Phil Rivers QB
Kevin Smith RB
Ladaniuan Tomlinson RB

WRs were a problem I ended up with a very poor corps
Donnie Avery
Pierre Garcon
Steve Smith

TE was not a great position for me. Although he did OK everytime I played my opponents TE had a great day after doing nothing for them for most of the season
Zach Miller

Kicker
Matt Prater

DST these guys really prodded buttock for me

Ravens
If this was your first year you didn't do to bad.

Rivers and the RB's can get you there but the WR are a bit weak. I have Tomlinson and Marion Barber as my running backs in one league but I have GREAT WR's to off-set them. You really need two studs, guys who can get you 30+ points occasionally, to pull you through. Plus you need to pick up the emerging stars as quickly as possible. You can't get stuck on who you drafted. Don't be afraid to drop them.
The Ravens defense has had it's moments but overall they aren't as good as they have been in the past. I'd have taken them if I could of though and probably stuck with them all year. I didn't get a good defense in any of my leagues, I'm in 3, so what I did was try to find an average defense who was playing a crappy team, read Detriot, Tampa or St. Louis. I had some monster games from them.
If you play next year I predict a playoff in your future!