Grenades

caa

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hello,

After looking through the rules, something struck me (ok, many things!). I noticed that there is no mention of grenades in the rules. Given the fact that they were a fairly important personal weapon in WWII, I wonder why there is no rule concerning them. Are they abstracted into the FP of the MMCs?

Thanks,
Chris.

Hutch

Curator of the ASL Armory
Reaction score
First name
Hutch
Country
llUnited States
They are abstracted into the FP of the MMCs, as well as BAR's, Submachine Guns (Thompsons, MP40 etc.) This is used in the CC situations.

Last edited:

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
caa said:
After looking through the rules, something struck me (ok, many things!). I noticed that there is no mention of grenades in the rules. Given the fact that they were a fairly important personal weapon in WWII, I wonder why there is no rule concerning them. Are they abstracted into the FP of the MMCs?
Hi,

The various weapons contained within a squad are abstracted into the FP and range of the squad as well as other rules. For instance, the German squad is assumed to have an inherent LMG, which justifies its six hex range (ok, I'm not the game designer, so I don't know for sure). Grenades are abstracted by the PBF and TPBF rules. If you study your rules carefully, you will find that you can't use PBF fire against units that are two levels higher, which is probably due to the grenade factor. This little factoid is very useful in setting up defences in cities with tall buildings (e.g. "Guards Counterattack", "Himmler's House"). The defenders on the second level can fire at attackers that assault move into the street without worrying about receiving an AFPh PBF attack. The defenders on the ground level stay concealed because they would get a PBF AFPh attack, and because of the benefit they would get for Ambush.

So long,
JR

alanp

Philosopher of ASL
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
caa--

see endnote 8 in Chapter A. The above explanations are correct; the endnote has the "official" take.

caa

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Thanks for the responses guy. Makes sense now.

Regards,
Chris.

CHERDE

Reaction score
Country
llGermany
You might come across "grenades" in ASL, but this word does not mean handgrenades (aka Kartoffelstampfer, Eierhandgranaten).

In ASL the term grenades means Infantry smoke grenades (A 24).

da priest

Reaction score
Footnote Chap A:

8. 7.21 PBF: Adjacent and same-hex fire attacks are given double or triple FP not only due to their close proximity, but because grenades are now factored into the FP generation.

:dead: