Greetings from Slovakia and Austria

MichalS

Reaction score
First name
Michal
Country
llSlovakia
Hi everyone, I am new to ASL (and wargames in general).

I am 39, living between Slovakia and Austria. Since I was little I was heavily into board games and since about 13 years of age also into pen and paper RPGs. After the fall of the Iron Curtain me and my friends also started getting wind of wargames, I played a couple but never owned any except of a Czech version of Gondor (SPI, 1977). Got more seriously into wargames only last year, while researching D&D prehistory/Chainmail for an RPG project of mine. I learned that John Hill was originally aiming to design SL as “D&D in Stalingrad” and (via the Retro rules) got sold on ASL. I reached out to players in the vicinity and the general region (Vienna, Czech Republic, Poland) and hoping to kindle a community in Bratislava (hope it is allowed by SSR in this particular scenario). I already own quite a couple of modules (BV, Yanks, FB, most of BFP) and trying to negotiate my busy schedule to secure a spot for regular gaming. Have not installed VASL yet.

If I may, I have an immediate question: How the heck are you supposed to search this forum, when most acronyms or "too common" words are rejected?
"The following words were not included in your search because they are too short, too long, or too common: gun, mmg, hmg" :D

Thanks,
Michal

Paul M. Weir

Forum Guru
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Country
llIreland
If I may, I have an immediate question: How the heck are you supposed to search this forum, when most acronyms or "too common" words are rejected?
"The following words were not included in your search because they are too short, too long, or too common: gun, mmg, hmg" :D

Thanks,
Michal
Under previous GS software the search function was fairly dreadful, returning only a small fraction of matches, not sure how good the recent current version will turn out to be. My work around was using the Google "site:" type queries as normal web browser searchs.

Something like:

site:gamesquad.com "Paul M. Weir" dshk

will find posts of mine referencing the Soviet 12.7mm DShK heavy MG. OK, it's done outside GS, but it works.