Greetings 2

rob2e

Recruit
Reaction score
First name
Rob
Country
llUnited States
Hi. I'm Rob and I'm brand new. I just purchased ASL SK #1 and plan to eventually get 2-4 if they ever reprint them.

My question is, as a solo player, where do I move to after I finish SK #4?

ThanX everyone.

RandyT0001

Elder Member
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
First name
Cary
Country
llUnited States
Rob, the game is much more fun playing with an opponent than solo. You can use the Virtual Advanced Squad Leader online interface, that uses JAVA to simulate board play in real time. You can use discord or skype for voice communication. If you are interested in trying it just join in on the ASL discord server

rob2e

Recruit
Reaction score
First name
Rob
Country
llUnited States
ThanX for that. I unfortunately usually don't have long periods to commit to gaming which means solo is more easily accessible to me. I can walk away from the game and come back to it as I please. It's probably going to take me a while to get through all 4 starter kits (if I can even get ahold of them without going broke), but I'm trying to plan for after that what I might do.

RandyT0001

Elder Member
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
First name
Cary
Country
llUnited States
The VASL system lets two players exchange moves in a play by email method as well. The game may take several days or weeks to complete the scenario but only a few minutes each day to process part of a turn for the day. MMP will reprint the others soon. You know that you can download the SK rules for all four modules from MMP for free here: https://mmpgamers.com/support/aslsk/ASLSK4_Rules_September_2021.pdf

If you have any questions feel free to ask.

rob2e

Recruit
Reaction score
First name
Rob
Country
llUnited States
Oooo how do we know what soon™ is? I'm glad to know that. I do know about VASL, but I have never had any luck playing (any game) on that. It's controls do not lend themselves to me personally enjoying it.

RandyT0001

Elder Member
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
First name
Cary
Country
llUnited States
Right now they are shipping out reprints of Hollow Legions which was last reprint decades ago. They will reprint the other SK modules relatively soon. Don't buy them on ebay. Would you be interested in a FtF game(s) with a player from your area, willing to teach the game for maximum enjoyment?

You can buy SK2, SK3 and SK4 from https://ritterkrieg.com/dice-tower-home/mmp-official-products/ for retail prices.

OK not SK2

rob2e

Recruit
Reaction score
First name
Rob
Country
llUnited States
I WOULD be interested in that if I could find someone in Spokane, WA willing to come over for an hour or two at a time.

That link is good to know, but obviously won't ve able to until 2 and 3 are reprinted, looks like I can get 4 now.

RandyT0001

Elder Member
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
First name
Cary
Country
llUnited States
Closest players are in Moscow and Lewiston ID that I see on the players map. Can't you move to Seattle? ;) About ten guys in that area.

He has #3 but not #2.

rob2e

Recruit
Reaction score
First name
Rob
Country
llUnited States
HAHA I can't move to Seattle, but Moscow is only a 90 min drive. Can you link me the player map please? I assume most people would be willing to play #1, as I have not even ready ANY rules yet or anything. I played regular Squad Leader when I was a kid, but really have no memory of it.

Faded 8-1

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Mark
Country
llUnited States
Hey Rob, just noticing your user name. Are you the Rob Twohy that converts D&D books and modules to Fantasy Grounds? If so, I know and admire your work, and extend my thanks on your efforts. Most of the content I've played on Fantasy Grounds has been stuff you converted, and picking your modules apart and seeing how they are made taught me a lot with regard to designing/converting modules.

Once you feel ready to move on from Starter Kit to full ASL, you will need the Rulebook (ASLRB), and the module Beyond Valor. That will give you the rules, informational and system counters, and German and Russian units. It will also give you several more mapboards with lots of scenarios to play on them.

There is Solitaire ASL (or SASL) but that is only for full ASL, not SK. To play this you will need the stuff I just mentioned (ASLRB and BV) at a minimum, but SASL can always benefit from additional modules, as SASL uses randomly generated map configurations and all mapboards in your collection are eligible.

Beyond that, each core module adds one or more nationalities, as well as new mapboards and scenarios. Yanks, which adds the US order of battle unsurprisingly, also includes Chapter E pages for your rules binder. Chapter E is basically a collection of special rules that are not used in most scenarios, but are necessary for certain scenarios. Stuff like airdrops, glider landings, weather effects, night combat, skis, assault boats, creeping barrages are found in Chapter E. Lots of cool stuff in Chapter E. :)

There are also what we call HASLs, or Historical ASL modules. These focus on a presenting a specific small battle or section of a larger battle in much greater details. These include 2 innovations, both of which have helped HASLs to become enormously popular among players. The first is historical map of the terrain presented on a large paper map, as opposed to generic terrain mapboards. Charlie Kibler's map for the very first HASL, Red Barricades, was a jawdropper. I doubt there is any ASLer who didn't want to play a game on that map when they first saw it. The second innovation is the Campaign Game (or CG). Instead of just a single scenario simulating mere minutes of time, the CG allows fighting that continues over days, or even weeks. Force preservation is suddenly maximally important, and the player can spend points each day to buy reinforcement groups, giving small packets of infantry, guns, vehicles, or artillery or air support to add to their forces.

Just a brief overview of what you might like to take a look at after getting your feet wet with Starter Kit.

Last edited:

Zakopious

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hi. I'm Rob and I'm brand new. I just purchased ASL SK #1 and plan to eventually get 2-4 if they ever reprint them.

My question is, as a solo player, where do I move to after I finish SK #4?

ThanX everyone.
After SK #4, you are at the junction of many paths.
You could:
1. Get the rest of the Starter Kit Bonus and Expansion Packs. https://mmpgamers.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=2_8
Get the free SK downloads from MMP. https://mmpgamers.com/index.php?main_page=page&id=6
So that you can continue playing Starter Kit Rules.

2. Get the ASL Rules & Beyond Valor and start playing full ASL. https://mmpgamers.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=2_4&products_id=46

3. Collect the rest of the ASL core modules, historical modules and Third Party Products (TPP), aka: Third Party Publishers.
Which allows you to accumulate more scenarios (8,000+) than you could possibly play in your lifetime.

rob2e

Recruit
Reaction score
First name
Rob
Country
llUnited States
Hey Rob, just noticing your user name. Are you the Rob Twohy that converts D&D books and modules to Fantasy Grounds? If so, I know and admire your work, and extend my thanks on your efforts. Most of the content I've played on Fantasy Grounds has been stuff you converted, and picking your modules apart and seeing how they are made taught me a lot with regard to designing/converting modules.

Once you feel ready to move on from Starter Kit to full ASL, you will need the Rulebook (ASLRB), and the module Beyond Valor. That will give you the rules, informational and system counters, and German and Russian units. It will also give you several more mapboards with lots of scenarios to play on them.

There is Solitaire ASL (or SASL) but that is only for full ASL, not SK. To play this you will need the stuff I just mentioned (ASLRB and BV) at a minimum, but SASL can always benefit from additional modules, as SASL uses randomly generated map configurations and all mapboards in your collection are eligible.

Beyond that, each core module adds one or more nationalities, as well as new mapboards and scenarios. Yanks, which adds the US order of battle unsurprisingly, also includes Chapter E pages for your rules binder. Chapter E is basically a collection of special rules that are not used in most scenarios, but are necessary for certain scenarios. Stuff like airdrops, glider landings, weather effects, night combat, skis, assault boats, creeping barrages are found in Chapter E. Lots of cool stuff in Chapter E. :)

There are also what we call HASLs, or Historical ASL modules. These focus on a presenting a specific small battle or section of a larger battle in much greater details. These include 2 innovations, both of which have helped HASLs to become enormously popular among players. The first is historical map of the terrain presented on a large paper map, as opposed to generic terrain mapboards. Charlie Kibler's map for the very first HASL, Red Barricades, was a jawdropper. I doubt there is any ASLer who didn't want to play a game on that map when they first saw it. The second innovation is the Campaign Game (or CG). Instead of just a single scenario simulating mere minutes of time, the CG allows fighting that continues over days, or even weeks. Force preservation is suddenly maximally important, and the player can spend points each day to buy reinforcement groups, giving small packets of infantry, guns, vehicles, or artillery or air support to add to their forces.

Just a brief overview of what you might like to take a look at after getting your feet wet with Starter Kit.
A) I am that Rob Twohy and THANK YOU SO MUCH for those nice comments. I always tell people that money is nice, but what's WAY BETTER are comments like those from the community that show my efforts helped people to make their games better.

B) I totally didn't realize I co-opted someone else's thread. I must have missed that. Apologies to all on that front.

C) ThanX for the great info. That really sheds proper light on what I need to do in the future, once I get that far.

ThanX again Faded 8-1!

rob2e

Recruit
Reaction score
First name
Rob
Country
llUnited States
After SK #4, you are at the junction of many paths.
You could:
1. Get the rest of the Starter Kit Bonus and Expansion Packs. https://mmpgamers.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=2_8
Get the free SK downloads from MMP. https://mmpgamers.com/index.php?main_page=page&id=6
So that you can continue playing Starter Kit Rules.

2. Get the ASL Rules & Beyond Valor and start playing full ASL. https://mmpgamers.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=2_4&products_id=46

3. Collect the rest of the ASL core modules, historical modules and Third Party Products (TPP), aka: Third Party Publishers.
Which allows you to accumulate more scenarios (8,000+) than you could possibly play in your lifetime.
WHOA! Cool. ThanX for that.