Green Hell of Inor CG III (Dennis Brothers)

Den589

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Are you remembering the DN5 rule that discourages this sort of deathstar?
Even when we were playing Dinant, I still made killstacks and just surrounded them as best I could. It was a risk I know, but I think only one time did the sniper pick the MG stack and it missed the leader. His sniper counters arent that close to the area of my two kill stacks in Inor at least in this scenario. He's got them both in the woods (seperated by the minimum # of hexes possible).

sdennis

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
but as Neil pointed out, even in Dinant it's not much of a deterrent IMHO, just play standard anti-sniper defense

Carln0130

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
but as Neil pointed out, even in Dinant it's not much of a deterrent IMHO, just play standard anti-sniper defense
Catching up to this way late, but standard anti-sniper defense doesn't work in Dinant. The TEM of the Kill stack gets dropped to 0. You need more than the standard 2 HS on either side of the deathstar waving bright red construction flags. It doesn't prevent kill stacks, but it certainly can penalize them. That said, you boys are Inoring at the moment :).

Den589

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Catching up to this way late, but standard anti-sniper defense doesn't work in Dinant. The TEM of the Kill stack gets dropped to 0. You need more than the standard 2 HS on either side of the deathstar waving bright red construction flags. It doesn't prevent kill stacks, but it certainly can penalize them. That said, you boys are Inoring at the moment :).
I thought I had to risk it in Dinant. I got away with it for the most part. Only once did the sniper find a killstack and it selected a sacrificial half squad with a HMG. Maybe I was just lucky, but I did lose so on the other hand maybe not....

Carln0130

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I thought I had to risk it in Dinant. I got away with it for the most part. Only once did the sniper find a killstack and it selected a sacrificial half squad with a HMG. Maybe I was just lucky, but I did lose so on the other hand maybe not....
Well..................if your sacrificial HS was holding an HMG, he was living life well. Most sacrificial HS are in the low rent district with Mauser's and the like. ;-)

sdennis

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
OK we are back for a teaser update... need to take another week off after this for the holiday etc.
So the night ended with me having a nice CVP win but not getting the territory I wanted. Starting to feel the time crunch but still see a possible victory.
Let's start with the Village which I have finally decided to attack in some strength... and the start was not great.
This is all after the first German turn.

So the French have nothing large and scary yet in the village but has a smattering of troops in most buildings. We beef up our approach in case of any tricky OBA/Bombardment with the 9-2 led 36FP started in the fox hole but retreated to the building. The plan was smoke, smoke and more smoke. Got plenty and the hole in the center was supposed to be handled by said 9-2... who promptly rolled a 6,5 and did nothing. So we decided to advance slowly and the squads in the buildings pinned or broke my initial squads outside the foxhole and than a plethora of mortars discovered they can see clear OVER the village to that hex... Not sure I like the FFE smoke counters, they do cut down on clutter but I keep forgetting there is smoke around it!
He claims he is going to run away but why bother I can't shoot crap... You can also see my platoon of tanks that are arriving to help, they did get shot at by a 25LL but managed to skirt by.
He had his 2 hmgs over hear separated and the first shot broke one of them, interested to see if his 10-2 is still camped over here waiting to get the band together again.

Near the farm and middle we have the following going on. The 9-2 over hear did a slightly better job, stripping both ? off the front trench guys but they both passed their MCs... but R21 was hiding a FT which than broke the front trench guy allowing us to gain that first trench in S21. We got a bit ballsy and put a 238/DC and another FT IN a minefield in R23 (giving the FT at least a Foxhole!). The 238 was able to place his DC but as Area Fire it did nothing, so again the FT had to take care of it, causing the HS in the S22 trench to disrupt and rout to me in a minefield... he survived... so I have a few guys here but am relying on the 2 FTs to tackle this trench line. The 9-2 has options of crossing the valley after we clear a few more things out or going to help the advance in the Bois de Soiry. No surprises in the Bois de Soiry yet, all empty hexes. I don't have much in the upper part of this picture and Neil is squawking about a counter attack, but I will give him some of this is I can make progress in the village and on the board edge.

And deep in the forest there is still the sound of gunfire... he has put another wire line along the roadblock. I thought I was being tricky by setting my truck up under the road WIRE I controlled but he promptly got blowed up by an AT-Mine right in front of the roadblock. My entering company is running as fast as they can to get into the battle while I use a few other guys to try to find any left behind surprises on the hill.

sdennis

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
OK we got another turn in, yes we are slow, but there is wine to drink, family drama to discuss (our youngest cousin is a train wreck), and other matters to discuss!

Once again this is not going how I planned :)
In the village, Neil is VERY proud of his H39s arriving on the scene. My 3 tanks moved into the area between the river and buildings, one got shocked and than killed by the river edge 25LL.
His 10-2 lost a hmg to malf and Xed it out. My 9-2 was bothered by the mortars until I got some more smoke down, but I also lost 228/hmg, in the end my 9-2 is moving up into the foxholes with less than his 36 FP.
You can also see his 4 mortars on the hill. They are a PITA for me, they do see over the village to the river's edge. My SR should keep his 10-2 at least on the ground level or he will get smoked at least...

The middle is starting to fall. His trench line is half mine now and my 9-2 scampered across the valley from the farm after clearing out all the possible HIP hexes.
I did lose one FT permanently to an 11, while the other one is pushing his guys out of the trench line. I have a 50mm mtr near the farm that will keep him from coming back into my face as he sees the entire tree ridge line.

We are breaking out from the Farm and heading deeper into the forest pushing the French before us like sheep! Nothing exciting here so far, he's just falling back.
He's contemplating a counter attack in the KK16 area but I'm not too concerned about it.

And finally in the forest we have some maneuvering going on. He sneakily moved some guys under the wire w/o penalty because the wire was not onboard (I had nobody next to it to see the interior woods hex).
I was surprised the board edge was not mined or wire... not sure what's going on here from the French POV. I've tried to challenge his 2 squad/mmg in PP22 with my own 2 squad/mmg in RR19 but he keeps winning that battle.
RR19 only contains 2 mmgs on the ground and a concealed squad trying to hide and afraid to pick up the weapons. On the roadblock I was going to set a DC and clear it but losing the truck over here makes that kinda a waste right now...

sdennis

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
We are still playing this, real life has gotten in the way.

Brief summary, we are on French T4 and the German attack into the village is pretty much repulsed. He used my smoke against me, so I dropped another OBA smoke to withdraw and started too and he rolled gusts in his T4... so now my withdrawal is in more trouble.

The woods attack has also stalled but a bit of progress has been made but not enough.

Starting to look a bit tough on the Germans in this playing... we will continue but every attack I throw at him is repulsed by defense in depth...

Not sure what to do next...

Den589

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
We concluded this CG yesterday with a German capitulation in the bottom of the 4th turn of CG day 5(I think it was day 5?). Steve had some more rough rolls, including breaking almost the entire 9-2 led 36FP stack in the village of Inor on a 1MC from a 81*MTR shot. When we deduced that I could move my tanks adjacent and force the entire stack to die he conceded.

I enjoyed this CG, almost three games going at once. There is the battle for the Inor village (a small city fight), there is the battle for the Farm (a small village type fight) and then the battle in the woods (an almost jungle feel to this battle.)

Some of the things I learned about this CG, certain hexes are huge for the French, the mortars that I kept putting on the ridges ( R44-R45 and even better in Y43-Z43) were killer. These hexes not only allow fire into parts of the village, they also control the edge of the woods of the finger in the area of R26-U25. To not put some of the mortars up here would be a mistake in my opinion. I had at least four in these hexes, every day after the first. Its very hard for the German to counter them, unless they bought planes or got into a counter battery mortar duel with the French although the German 50's can't even reach those ridges most of the time. The other thing that I did was constantly bought the maximum amount of FPP. Trenches, Mines and Wire are somewhat cheap in this CG and I bought a ton of them everyday. Wire and Mines in the forest fight was killing him with the French waiting adjacent to shoot him off the wire/mines.

We are on to Sword & Fire Manila next, although it will be awhile since Steve has to somehow rig a table that will fit the huge maps for CGII (4'x6' doesn't fit on our current configurations at either of our homes).