Green Hell of Inor CG III (Dennis Brothers)

Den589

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I'll check when I get home from work. We are entering the top of the 4th and if I had to guess 10 CVP in armor, a 9-1 armor leader and maybe 10 CVP in infantry dead for the German. Around 8 CVP in infantry and 2 CVP in a big mortar dead for the French. We are both pretty good at keeping casualties down, with the exception of my wine induced mania of running a squad next to a flamethrower trying to kill an AE squad......oops.

sdennis

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
So we finished the day after French T5 with a 3.
The highlight of the last turn or two was a lot more carnage on both sides (Neil has totals).
I averaged about a 9 or 10 for my prep fires in T4 and T5, slowing me down.
He rolled 3 1,1 in a row at one point... to my credit I just put my head down... never seen so many French heroes.

But the lowlight was I got a little lucky and managed to grab 2 of the 3 Farm buildings with a 467, captured a few guys with a 247 and was looking good. Jumped the 6+1 who used to be manning the OBA in the last farm building.
No ambush and why go HtH right? end up in melee. OK I got another turn and my AFV is guarding the approaches.

In his turn he broke my only guy who could see the valley south of the farm, big oversight on my part, I could have covered it with more but didn't.
So he runs 2 squads unmolested across the valley to get one building back and than to add insult to injury the 6+1 rolls a 1,1 in CC and kills my 467............
So I lost the Farm. Lot of no mans land there with me controlling on building and one trench and him controlling the rest.

Girls upstairs were yellign at us to hurry up so no good pics. Setup will show up maybe after next weekend.

Den589

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Casualties started to ramp up this date, specifically in the last couple of turns. I was furiously trying to take back the Farm, and ended up stealing hex R17 by running across the valley and T17 by the aforementioned 6+1 from hell who single handedly wiped out a squad. Heroes were popping up everywhere, no less than 5 heroes were created (4 French and 1 German.)

CVP were 37 dead for the German. Twelve of this was armor, two tanks and a 9-1 armor leader. The rest were squads, no leaders died for the German.
CVP were 36 dead for the French. Almost all infantry, some were prisoners later killed by the French inflating the numbers a bit. I did lose a 81*MTR, but didnt lose any leaders either. So 34 of the CVP was men. Not a good day for the French Army.

Losing the Infantry CVP total 25 to 34 is not ideal, but the French still have the numbers. Also the quality is going up rapidly, as the 4 heroes really helped battle harden my guys.
The farm is probably a lost cause at this point, since he has stepped into the woods to the north of the farm, so I need to probably retreat from there. I'm probably going to try to eliminate a few entrenchments in the Re-fit phase to help deny him cover in the coming days.

Den589

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Setup has begun for scenario #4. Steve has declared a night attack. So I've got to take a lot longer setting up, I get a lot of HIP and a ton of dummies to setup. I assume he is going to be picking a single front and ramming troops down my throat in that one sector, so I have to very carefully setting up my guys. Interesting situation as to what front he will decide to attack:

A) The forest road. I think this is dangerous for the German. Pre-43 Germans are Lax at night and most of my guys over here are the special 4-5-8s that are stealthy in the woods. So any CC ambush will be a 2 pip swing for my guys.

B) The finger area. He's found that i have heavily mined this area and have a nice continuous trench line that is hard to get through.

C) The Village of Inor (probably the obvious choice)

My buys weren't exactly ideal for a night attack, but I continue to go pretty heavy on the fortifications; which since i get so much free HIP and Dummies will be all real fortifications (wire, trenches, mines) this time. Hope to be setup by the end of the weekend so we can start playing this scenario next weekend.

lionelc62

Reaction score
First name
Lionel
Country
llFrance
Setup has begun for scenario #4. Steve has declared a night attack. So I've got to take a lot longer setting up, I get a lot of HIP and a ton of dummies to setup. I assume he is going to be picking a single front and ramming troops down my throat in that one sector, so I have to very carefully setting up my guys. Interesting situation as to what front he will decide to attack:

A) The forest road. I think this is dangerous for the German. Pre-43 Germans are Lax at night and most of my guys over here are the special 4-5-8s that are stealthy in the woods. So any CC ambush will be a 2 pip swing for my guys.

B) The finger area. He's found that i have heavily mined this area and have a nice continuous trench line that is hard to get through.

C) The Village of Inor (probably the obvious choice)

My buys weren't exactly ideal for a night attack, but I continue to go pretty heavy on the fortifications; which since i get so much free HIP and Dummies will be all real fortifications (wire, trenches, mines) this time. Hope to be setup by the end of the weekend so we can start playing this scenario next weekend.
interesting option. The night can help for an attack on the Village. In the woods it is much more difficult but at night you an concentrate a lot of troops on a small area, it can help.

sdennis

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Not all the Germans are Lax in this... :) I don't like the 3 freedom of movement leaders... and I'm out of town next weekend, so there will be a delay in seeing if this night attack works

sdennis

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
So we finally got back to playing. Here is the night setup.

Big line of wire showed up protecting Inor and my graveyard toe hold is about all I start with over here.

With the minefield here in the middle we both are leaving it pretty well alone for now.
My chinese cloaking are for the entering reinforcements.
Black cloaks are on board guys

He setup a bit more over here than what I expected, the forward farm boys are the isolated guys I knew would be there.

So the plan was all about the woods. I tried 2 bombardments here hoping to get a hole to punch through. You can see the motorcycles ready to race down the road and there are a lot of my guys over here...
And both bombardments went backwards and basically punched a hole through the reserves and nothing else.
They did overlap so I got some kills but his front line is still entirely in tact and I won't be able to exploit that hole at all.

Best laid plans....

sdennis

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
And we played up to Turn 2 French on Saturday.
In town you can see my reinforcements running up the road and I've filtered through the woods in front of the graveyard. My dummy cloaks are finding a lot of hexes that contain "stuff" but as of yet I don't know what that stuff is.
He is always very lucky with starshells and brought on a big MTR to hit my 4 mmgs in the foxhole in front of the graveyard, breaking the leader of course. He's still down...
His usual tactic in a CG is to stack his leaders together and than when they get freedom of movement they break and try to free others. I was hoping the bombardment would find such a stack in the woods but no. The guys in the Trench at top and in the first building behind the wire were such HIP stacks.

My 36 stack in the middle here under the 3S foxhole, did fry everyone he saw across the valley in the farm when I got a lucky starshell placement but the isolated guys are still alive and free to move now but we have them surrounded, almost. The new wire in the woods on the left is on the ridge, every hex of the ridge has "something" in it because my dummies keep getting bounced. I'm not sure if I'm going to get the Farm or not. My kill stack sees all the buildings, might be time to try an IR and just lay waste.

And in the big woods you can see my reinforcements are engaged but his front line is all in tact still. I broke one frontline squad you can see here. I could have jumped him but decided not too, that might have been a mistake. I would have had at least a 1 pip edge in ambush because his no move guy under him is most likely one of the stealthy "special" guys.
And the ridge I have to climb by the board edge (where you see 4 control markers) are mostly likely all wire and/or mines. Dummy cloaks were bounced in most of those hexes. I did jump on one wire on the road. You can see he reinforced with some leaders and 2 ACs.
The broken reserves are mostly back already. His sniper hit a cloak with 2 467s in it and freed up the only guy in the middle here by the brush/OG. Not sure how frisky he's going to get with this guy.

So minimal progress is being made but I have not suffered a single CVP yet and he's down maybe 4 squads or more?

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Note: Dummies will always get bounced if you are the ATTACKER because per A12.11 the ATTACKER must reveal a real unit first but if these are dummies they cannot cause a reveal, even temporarily, of a DEFNDER's dummy units.

sdennis

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Note: Dummies will always get bounced if you are the ATTACKER because per A12.11 the ATTACKER must reveal a real unit first but if these are dummies they cannot cause a reveal, even temporarily, of a DEFNDER's dummy units.
Correct, I've been moving attacker dummy cloaking counters liberally into empty hexes. He asks "is that a real unit?", if not it is eliminated. HIP guys or Fortifications can cause the asking of that question.

sdennis

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
OK got a short session in Saturday and finished T2 French and T3 German.

In Inor proper the Germans approach cautiously. The woods at the end of the wire line held a HIP guy who ran away before I could recon by fire. The building on the riverbank got reconned, disrupted and than hit again and died.
His tall stack in the first building behind the wire is a 10-2 led 30FP stack. I really have nothing over here to deal with that. I have a lot of troops now that the entry guys have arrived but I can't stand with this stack, so we hope to just gain as much as we can on THIS side of the road. He's shot a lot of dummy cloaks as I have doubled up or even tripled up in other cloaks that I haven't risked.
To make any appreciable progress here would need lucky starshells or something like it...

In the middle nothing happening but the Farm might finally fall?
He searched a bunch of cloaks I got adjacent and revealed several squads and got rid of a dummy. This also freed up some guys across the valley when they got lit up. He had a couple of dummies over here and one HIP guy hiding under the wire in R13 (where my 9-1 is) got blowed up by a DC and the wire went away also. I think he only has 3 squads left in the Farm and nearby tree line, the trench guy is a HS and so is the broken guy. If he hadn't broken the 467 you see running away the Farm might already be mine, breaking him allowed the tree guys to regain ? and I couldn't jump the Trench guy.

And my big failed gamble in the Forest is a mess! for both of us I think. Near the board edge I found mines in 2 of the 4 hexes, I was expecting wire. One guys went into the RR mines and was able to rout away and rallied right away :)
The old lmg squad could not get under the wire... and where the melee is was a broken french and a ? french squad that slowed me down but I finally just jumped them with 2 548s and a -1 leader.
Won the ambush, had the odds and rolled a 9 to CR the unbroken guy and kill the broken guy. With the ambush I left one squad to deal with the HS and moved past with the other squad and leader. That failed roll freed one more no move but I have them surrounded!
So I do have my hole sort of but I've lost a bunch of my cloaks and I'm likely to only get 2 more moves... so no where near the break through I was hoping for. Since I won't be able to surround them with control he likely doesn't need to pull back really either.

sdennis

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Going slowly due to other commitments... got another full turn (Fr T3 and Ger T4) done on Saturday.
Overall I am happy with the results, the night attack is a great option in the forest but not having the bombardment take at least part of the front line out means I get no break through but you can see how it almost happened. The CVP is like 24:3 ? so I've killed almost a full company which is good but territory advancement was much less than desired.

In the village. My lead guy got uncloaked and decided to dig in to save himself! We also realized we had been playing the cemetery woods as REAL woods, both in our setup (control) and not having LOS through it...
We decided to finish this scenario with them as blocking but remove the control markers. I cannot challenge his 10-2 stack and only using light to blind him is my only option over here.
We also pushed up the hill and discovered 2 guns.

In the middle the Farm has finally fallen (I think for good?)
His guy under the wire was HIP, we found him by movement and than the FT that was cloaked next door survived to hit him with a 4MC which is only pinned on... All the trenches are mine now and my 9-2 kill stack across the way moved up the hill to try to see the retreat over here stays a retreat.

And finally where all the action has been this scenario the forest.

We keep trying to press through the minefield, we assume it goes all the way to the board edge. The melee on the road was a concealed German who after not getting the ambush decided to stay concealed and he rolled a 2,2 to get the CR and unconceal me... that was the only CC that didn't go my way this turn. We have a captured wounded 5+2, so Neil got to pull out his new counters.
In the LL17 and MM17 area I was able to shoot and jump on 3 or 4 broken squads and get 3.5 squad deaths I think?
I only have 1 guaranteed move left but have lost most of my cloaking so movement is harsh but you can see I have my hole I just really can't take advantage of it.
Over here I also unveiled a FT that proceeded to roast someone with another good roll.
LVP taken is 6 so far and like I said earlier the CVP has been great.

Den589

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
We have gotten to turn 5 of the night scenario. Casualties have been huge for the French today. French have lost 26 CVP I believe (all infantry; although 2 was a captured 6+1) and the German has only lost around 10 CVP (all infantry.) Steve is probably still going to lose the CG day, but he needed a big kill day.

The village: Germans dug a foxhole in F40, which is irritating me and hopefully we will be taking it back shortly, a 10-2 led stack of 5 HMG's in the upstairs of I40 will hopefully clear up the squad in the foxhole and maybe the still cloaked unit in F39.
He's also trying to dig another foxhole to expand his perimeter in L32.

Middle: The T29 foxhole was just retaken in CC, this will probably allow me to keep that small copse of woods around the U29 victory location.

The Farm: Nothing going on again in the finger, he has a massive 36FP stack in the middle of the finger that I'm not comfortable approaching. He has taken almost the entire farm and the lower level of woods, except for around the pond and I won a CC in W11 infiltrating to V11. I may lose this guy, but need him to be reacting to me for a bit here. A 2nd flamethrower has appeared in this sector and cleared out the trench line. The CX guy in the farm as well as the two concealed stacks are attempting to counter attack to try and hold a piece of the farm to force him to get the bad modifiers on the ELR roll between scenarios. His has already dropped to an ELR of 3 the last refit.

The Woods: I've stabilized my lines here, after he threatened to break through in the KK and LL hexrows, he activated a big reserve here and that helped me a ton. I have lost a LOT of troops in this area though, probably 90% of my losses were in this sector of the fight. Another 9-2 appeared in this area and the other flame thrower as well.

He's at +6 in VP and will probably get another 2 for casualties so he will probably take another loss, but he seems happy with the death he caused today. I'll be blunt night battles in most CG's are kind of a pain in the ass to us. Slow, very small progress and with open terrain, it becomes a pseudo-day scenario very soon, with light everywhere. This has had a much different feel. Half the board was totally unused and I still have around half my troops on no move. To us this has got the feel of a true night scenario better than any CG we have played in the past, especially in the Woods sector. Even grouchy Steve says hes liked the night scenario which is high praise if any of you know him.

sdennis

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
My guess is most if not all of his "counterattack" Farm guys are dummies. The Truck will find out about the CX squad since we can get to bypass of his hex, and I have enough over here to make sure they don't retake the Farm.
All of this BS would have been stopped if I had gotten just ONE starshell over the Farm or valley... every one I got moved north by at least 3, they were all lined up in a row and ignored the Farm completely.

Old Noob

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Merde (or scheisse), depending on which side you are playing.

phlegm027

Reaction score
So it looks like you guys are having funin Inor.

My real question . . . Has anyone gotten the Nogueria, Nadir, or Dolan Vichy heroes into play yet?
a major prize for first sighting of one of theTrinity in play.

lionelc62

Reaction score
First name
Lionel
Country
llFrance
So it looks like you guys are having funin Inor.

My real question . . . Has anyone gotten the Nogueria, Nadir, or Dolan Vichy heroes into play yet?
a major prize for first sighting of one of theTrinity in play.
You don't have Vichy forces in Inor, so no Vichy heroes.

Lionel