Green Hell of Inor CG III (Dennis Brothers)

Den589

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
French set up is complete for Day 3.

Inor Village:

Finger:

Farm:

Woods Road:

Neither of us bought interdiction today, so all forces came on full. I think we were both scared off by how ineffective the artillery interdiction was yesterday. The BB12 foxhole setup area is going to be a pain for me, its pointing straight into the woods to cut off the farm area. And from his inquiries in the other thread, he is going to be setting up on board in this area with additional troops. He currently only has an AA truck, an 8-0 and two squads allowed to set up in that area (visible just north of the foxhole/german control marker). It is a very small setup area though.

Barely visible in the photos, I am starting another Trench line in X32-Y31 as the next line of defense. The Woods are causing me to build multiple lines of trenches to attempt to slow down the Germans. The first line was in the farm area and the second was in the S21-S24 area of the finger of woods.

More to follow, I'm trying a new tactic today. Probably get started this weekend.

lionelc62

Reaction score
First name
Lionel
Country
llFrance
French set up is complete for Day 3.
Neither of us bought interdiction today, so all forces came on full. I think we were both scared off by how ineffective the artillery interdiction was yesterday. The BB12 foxhole setup area is going to be a pain for me, its pointing straight into the woods to cut off the farm area. And from his inquiries in the other thread, he is going to be setting up on board in this area with additional troops. He currently only has an AA truck, an 8-0 and two squads allowed to set up in that area (visible just north of the foxhole/german control marker). It is a very small setup area though.

Barely visible in the photos, I am starting another Trench line in X32-Y31 as the next line of defense. The Woods are causing me to build multiple lines of trenches to attempt to slow down the Germans. The first line was in the farm area and the second was in the S21-S24 area of the finger of woods.

More to follow, I'm trying a new tactic today. Probably get started this weekend.
I am also playing CG3 (CG date 2 in porgress) with the Germans. I bought 2 counter batteries and 1 Interdiction. My French opponent bought 2 Interdictions.
I have lost 4.5 squads and 4 SW to interdiction (and I have several squads / leaders downgraded). And my turn 2 reinforcements were delayed by one turn. So if you roll badly interdiction can be pretty devastating.

The Soiry farm should see some intense battles during your CG date 3!
Lionel

Den589

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I am also playing CG3 (CG date 2 in porgress) with the Germans. I bought 2 counter batteries and 1 Interdiction. My French opponent bought 2 Interdictions.
I have lost 4.5 squads and 4 SW to interdiction (and I have several squads / leaders downgraded). And my turn 2 reinforcements were delayed by one turn. So if you roll badly interdiction can be pretty devastating.

The Soiry farm should see some intense battles during your CG date 3!
Lionel
Yeah, I think for CG Date 2, interdiction is a must buy for the French, because of that big bonus the Germans get in CPP (the Germans are going to be rolling ALOT). In retrospect I'd buy two of them to make sure it hurts him a little more. I have probably gone a bit heavy on the fortifications in our playing.

sdennis

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
We played German Turn 1 last night after my Saturday setup. Hopefully Neil will put some pics out.
I tried another bombardment on the Farm and the Trenches mostly saved his guys. It broke about 4 squads and removed one wire and LOL the HIP 9-2 failed his check but the 4 other guys with him did not fail :) So a 9-2 just magically appeared in a farm building and a whole lot of rolling happened.

I'm not doing much in the finger woods but am still pushing hard in the woods and the Farm is going to go slower due to the forts.
I'm also being opportunistic in the bridge/town area, with a 8-1 led SW Ptn (early war mmgs/hmgs) starting to clear out the bridge and soon the graveyard. If I get to the graveyard or the woods beyond I will be content here I think.
I also dropped a 105 OBA on the farm but of course it drifted away from the 9-2. It did remove a wire but did nothing else really.

He has shown probably an entire FPP buy worth of HIP already, several I found by trying to move into woods. He had 3 SE HIP over by the "PITA" Foxhole in BB12 that I snagged last scenario, but he really only broke one guy for all of it and he missed the truck with the SW Inf gun after I got smoke in the truck hex.

We both quite literally had the most terrible rolls all night. My prep I shot I think 15? ROF 2 or 3 weapons, rated only 2 times (for not real effect) and broke my 81 MTR. The best roll I had was on a 2+3 shot on his 9-2 managed the 1,1 but everyone passed the NMC.

And I already malfed one of the tanks I brought on...

A platoon of mine entered on the far board edge and 3 tanks entered on the near side, two heading to the farm and one heading to the bridge.

He has 2 5/8 counters entering on the forest road.

We both have OBA out, his still an SR.

Den589

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
So after I had to redo part of my setup, had some reserves within 5 hexes so had to move them; we got started. (Mostly the error changed setup in the Village and the hill near the finger)

Here is the Village:

Steve seems to be trying to take at least the village approach today, under the red acq. is a mini kill-stack of 20FP with a 9-1. I've already lost the foxhole next to the bridge. However I've got an 81* Mortar set up way in the backfield at Y43. I absolutely love this hex. It covers the one side of the finger and can see alot near the bridge and the approaches to the cemetery. It has to setup in open ground and comes on as soon as LOS to him is gained, but he's so far away as to be pretty safe from fire. I think I'm in trouble in this area, and expect him to make some gains here if he can play the avoid activating reserves game.

Here is the Finger of Woods:

His bombardment came down in the woods just behind Soiry Farm and activated a bunch of reserves by breaking them, causing a few ELR's but no actual losses. Did give him some knowledge of my purchases as a Sapper with a DC was activated (in V15) and he revealed a 9-2 trap in the S17 building. The 9-2 pinned, but all of his half-squads passed. The trap was lost, so they all came on board searching for his artillery observer. His OBA missed his Pre-reg in R16, and only took out a wire. The Pre-reg narrows down where his observer is. I'm convinced its down to three hexes, so the search begins. He brings on a tank platoon, two head towards the Farm and one goes toward Inor village. My artillery SR came down in M27 searching out the tanks and maybe the observer in some suspect hexes. I also bought a 25LL AT platoon and one is in Y18, this spot can see the entire valley and the road approaching the Farm. Its plinking away at the lead tank.

The Farm

The battle of the foxhole is being lost and I may have to just concede the mortar and this area. I had a 24-1 and a 12-1 and whiffed on it, also an 8 to hit the truck with the 37* INF gun that also missed. Neither of us could hit anything today. Average rolls were probably 8.5 to 9.5. He got a two snake-eyes (clearing one Wire with one of them), but no other good rolls at all that I can remember. He's captured the 37* INF gun now and i need to decide how much I risk in trying to take it back. The 81* MTR broke, which is a God send and it looks like hes going to load it on an Opel Blitz and adjust its position before trying to fix it.

The Woods Road:

I setup a little heavier over here today, so maybe I can hold a bit better than yesterday. The terrain seems to be my biggest challenge, like someone else commented before, this is almost a PTO jungle fight on this front. No LOS, single squads sometimes with LMG's slugging it out at one hex range with minimal TEM.

I went HIP heavy today, although a lot of the HIP has already appeared in the German turn 1. Have a wine event this weekend, so French turn 1 will be probably be delayed a week.

sdennis

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I'm jonesing to play so maybe we can get a bit in on Sunday or Monday. As Neil said I am hosting him and a few friends on Saturday to try some nicer wines that I have (one purchased with the friend's help)
We will be enjoying:
  1. Patrimony from Daou (one of his favorite wineries)
  2. Insignia from Joseph Phelps (need to decide to sacrifice my 2014 or 2016) :)
  3. Mercury Head by Orin Swift (one of my all time favorites but his friend has never tried)
Plus whatever else we need to have a nice time :)

This wine commercial is for my Finnish friends here :)

Houlie

CEO of HoulieDice (TM)
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Scott, I am playing Inor CG1 Day 1 now. So, I can speak to that.

Lots of carnage through 3.5 turns. CVP at 22-21 in favor of the French (not counting interdiction losses). Roughly a company each! The Germans got their nose bloodied early, but finally got a breakthrough in the woods and bagged some prisoners.

The woods are a puzzle and good infantry tactics are rewarded. No river crossings or armored juggernauts. It offers a number of options and has been quite enjoyable so far. Specifically, CG1 is very accessible due to it being only 3 dates with no night. Very little in the way of SSRs.

sdennis

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I think they are 2 completely different experiences and not fairly "comparable" IMHO. I like both but they both are a unique experience. Inor might be like some PTO CGs in the jungle but I haven't played any of those.

Gunner Scott

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Well, which are you enjoying more?

I think they are 2 completely different experiences and not fairly "comparable" IMHO. I like both but they both are a unique experience. Inor might be like some PTO CGs in the jungle but I haven't played any of those.

Den589

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
So how is this CG compared to Dinant?
I'd say that Inor would be a good CG for players that want to dive right in and play immediately. Not a lot of complicated rules/SSR's, (the interdiction/counter battery complexity is mostly a pre-game exercise) and the terrain is pretty straight forward. The replay-ability of Inor should be very high. The German dictates where the fight is taking place. Dinant is much more complex amid the river crossing/ferries/Rommel.

I've enjoyed both, still too early to see how close Inor will be. Our Dinant CG was back and forth, being the only CG we have ever played down to the last date. So i guess the answer to which I've enjoyed more is TBD since we don't really know who's ahead yet...........I could be getting my butt kicked and just not realize it!!!!

Philippe D.

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
Very nice AAR, thanks to the Dennis brothers for that. I am currently playing CGII (first five Dates of CGIII, without the DTR to worry about) as the Germans, getting ready to play Date 3.

German progress around the Soiry Farm seems nice, and the "finger of woods" (good name for the area) seems to show good progress as well - in my game, we're still fighting west of that, and Day 2 was almost a complete status quo between Soiry and La Hache. (I did conquer Inor Village on Day 1, and the French didn't try to take it back despite the village being Isolated through an error of mine)

So far, this Inor CG has been a blast (first CG for both myself and my opponent). Rules-wise it's pretty straightforward, with the low(ish) counter density and varied terrain types turning the games into very different fights.

sdennis

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
So we played a quick 1/2 turn after work last night. We both continue either bad rolling or good rolling with no affects!

The 9-2 tried to leave but a 6+1 pinned him and broke his HS running with him. They are still stuck in the Farm with the rest of the SW Ptn having escaped to the trees and/or trench line.

This outcome was great as I could correct the OBA and hit them again... with no affect. and than in my prep of turn 2...

I rolled a 6,6 for my contact roll which means I likely won't get the Farm. I needed that for smoke and/or breaks.

His OBA immobilized my trail tank which was already MA malfed and I than rolled a 6 on the repair.
Every Frenchy failed or pinned which was enough to probably give me the flank foxhole (BB12) in perpetuity now.

A HIP Inf SW popped up near the graveyard and promptly shocked my bridge AFV which of course changed to UK...

sdennis

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
OK so we are sitting after Rally on German Turn 4
I have retaken the bridge with 5 squads with the 20FP foxhole in overwatch, he hasn't really done much but the threat is real :)
The tank, went UK, shocked, recovered only to get hit again by the inf gun and die to a 1,4... the inf gun crew was than broken and so was the hs that tried to pick it up but they did their job by killing the tank I suppose. The motorcycles are in the wrong place an extra squad raced up to the sniper if I remember right to join the platoon that started here. We have 2 French squads (Green I believe) splish splashing down the creek while my squad marches up the stream to meet them.
It appears like I can get at least the graveyard too, any French reinforcements will have to deal with a 9-2 on the ridge just off picture left who could finally come on board because his 81mm MTR near the dice cup broke and than Xed out.
Civilian interrogation popped up the 25LL in the village building as well.

In the finger area we discovered the complete line of mines that basically brings this to a standstill for now.
I assume the mines extend one more hex since I cleared the end of the line last scenario. The Foxhole on the upper right has my 9-2 with a hmg/mmg.
When I ran away from his OBA he ran a HS down to burn the immobilized and abandoned tank center bottom. I ran 2 squads back over there because my observer was in the foxhole alone... he tried to jump them and I won the ambush and got the kill. My radio is still broken though. The other tank that was here got lucky and raced across the valley, getting hit once by the 25LL at the top of the valley but a bounce and a follow on miss (and a miss by a new 81mm Mtr at the top of the valley) got me over to the Farmm than he was able to get on top but miss the CC. His 9-2 has absconded to the trench line in the woods and his observer is apparently in the first farmhouse building but got the OBA down on my two HSs in the first trench. One died the other lives. I would like to overrun his observer but you can't overrun a HIP guy... so the Tank will likely have to freeze the observer, bringing him on board so my HS can overrun him but if he fails the 3TC he will get bounced BACK to the trench in the OBA. Interesting times.
So I have a slim chance here to get the Farm IF I can get rid of the OBA, but it involves running across the valley in front of the 25LL and MTR...
Oh and I was able to repair my broken 81mm MTR load it on a truck and get it back assembled, ready to fire on the graveyard right here above this sentence under the motion Truck that could not get out of the way.

Meanwhile... in the Farm area. You can see his extensive trench line inside the trees makes it a bit costly for me to get into the woods. His 9-2 is all the way over on the left now and the 8-1 that was there is over by the farm itself.
You can see where last turn I snuck 2 concealed squads into the edge of the woods but chose to back off. A side goal was to try to isolate these guys but that doesn't seem likely now.
The big stack just outside the woods in the lower left is a -1 leader, 2 old mmgs with HSs, 2 good mmgs with full squads + a hero but it's still going to hurt to try to get into the Trench line. The foxhole in the rear bottom left is 2 old hmgs in overwatch, their goal this turn will hopefully be to shoot his squad off my tank... pretty sure the path with no wire is mined...
Over by the upper foxhole the battle is won by the Germans but the French are pretty solid in the middle of the trees now. Some guys came up from the bottom and some from the top...
The HtH is a beserk guy of mine who he jumped on and didn't get the kill. We will be shooting into that for sure. The really bad thing about this beserk result was he ended up activating some reserves I was not planning on activating... If I remember it was even a reserve leader and/or mmg... on of those cases where a 1,1 hurts more than it helps.

And last but not least, in the woods the main battle may be over for the day...
Most of the exciting action was at the top where my engineers complete with FT showed up. I got a DC down broke some guys, made it up the hill... got knocked back down and than the funny part happened.
See the G control marker in from of my FT? I had a 548/DC there and Neil broke him and decided to try to get the kill by running a squad adjacent on the road. Even though he knew my FT was there (it was concealed but he knew)...
After he moved, I was like I guess my FT will shoot... CR I think and followed up with the inherent... no more squad!
Neil now blames it on the wine he was drinking, granted this was near the end of the session and we were 3 bottles in but... I give him credit for not whining (see what I did there?!?!!?) too much about it.
He had a turn here where I could not reveal any concealed guys he got next to me and these are all the stealthy guys, so I had to self break like 4 or 5 squads up here so that's why the battle is probably going to stagnate for the last bit of this scenario. Hopefully I can keep him here. Not quite as far as I was hoping to get but steady progress and now hopefully he has to defend the village on the next scenario too.
We were both fairly heavy in the woods, I was trying to avoid activating many of his reserves and I did not succeed in that tactic at all last turn...

Tuomo

Keeper of the Funk
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Steve - appreciate the AAR, but your counters are messing up my view of the map.

sdennis

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
In all honesty, I think the map is great except for some of the paths, especially with plexi over the map, the paths can "glare out of existence".

We both end up correcting each other most moves, 2,4 (no 3)

sdennis

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
And did I forget to mention the 3 HOB rolls in one Rally phase of his in about 90 seconds? 2 heroes and "only" a BH???

Den589

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
And did I forget to mention the 3 HOB rolls in one Rally phase of his in about 90 seconds? 2 heroes and "only" a BH???
And need you mention my average rolling of around 8 or 9 for most of the last two play sessions??? Hence why I had so many Rally attempts to get those 3 HOB rolls in the first place!!!!!