Great Game Stores - Support them!

SamB

Shut up and play!
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Just saw some comments about game stores closing. Wanted to share a link.

http://www.moxboardinghouse.com/

This is a great game environment in Seattle. Two locations. A well stocked game store (no ASL) and a restaurant. You can go to eat and they bring you a menu with games as well as food and drinks. Order your food and pick out a game. They bring it to your table and you sit and play.

On Tuesday, you can eat and try out a game and if you buy it you get 20% off.

Not ASL, but tons of good games. My grandson, son in law and I went and enjoyed ourselves. :)

What other good game stores / good game venues exist out there?

sfcmikej

US Army Retired
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Gotta hawk Gamer's Armory in Cary NC. Scott has an awesome store with tons of ASL stuff along with other games, knowledgeable staff, and a huge area to gather and play. Host the ASL CX weekend and keeps the store open late for it. Which reminds me, did that happen this year?

Mike

Proff3RTR

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Time was in the UK that traditional games store/shops (board games that is) were very common, now adays they are a rare thing, so getting hold of your ASL needs can sometimes be problamatic. London has a few, but as I live all the way down in deepest darkest cornwall (over 350 miles away) it is not viable.

In my county I know of exactly zero board game shops, there is one in Plymouth (next County along) that has been going since I was young but that stopped stocking ASL over a decade ago, so unless you live in london or one or two select places it is all internet etc.

Sad state of affairs, but a sign of the times board game wise in the UK, I do envy you guys in the US and Canada, every town it seems has a few good old school games shops.

andreasf

Reaction score
Country
llGermany
For me it is the other way round:

When I started playing in the 80s there were no shops selling strategy-games in Germany. I actually had to drive to London every other year (560 Ks) to get the games (anyone remember "Dark They Were and Golden Eyed" for comics, "Games Workshop" when they were a rather rundown location somewhere in the suburbs and that superb small shop I guess it was in Hanway Street at the corner of Tottenham Court Road/Oxford Street that had to make way for the first Virgin Mega Store? And there was another one a few hundred meters to the west at Bayswater Road)

Today we have MageStore in Düsseldorf and "Brave New World" in Cologne. And of course the Internet. And Vassal. And Michael and Rudi who live next door

But I still remember the excitement - driving all the way, not knowing which games had been published, which books published - anyone remember "Forbidden Planet" when it was a small comic-shop?

Proff3RTR

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
For me it is the other way round:

When I started playing in the 80s there were no shops selling strategy-games in Germany. I actually had to drive to London every other year (560 Ks) to get the games (anyone remember "Dark They Were and Golden Eyed" for comics, "Games Workshop" when they were a rather rundown location somewhere in the suburbs and that superb small shop I guess it was in Hanway Street at the corner of Tottenham Court Road/Oxford Street that had to make way for the first Virgin Mega Store? And there was another one a few hundred meters to the west at Bayswater Road)

Today we have MageStore in Düsseldorf and "Brave New World" in Cologne. And of course the Internet. And Vassal. And Michael and Rudi who live next door

But I still remember the excitement - driving all the way, not knowing which games had been published, which books published - anyone remember "Forbidden Planet" when it was a small comic-shop?
I remember 'Forbidden Planet' they had one in Plymouth, it is now a mix of forbidden planet and games shop (lots of fantasy stuff etc but no ASL).