Gotterdammerung im Osten AAR....Soviet POV

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Posting my first AAR. I would appreciate any and all comments. Planning on posting every 5 turns or so and will try to add some screenshots later on.

Soviet Turn 1: Soviet forces launch an offensive against Finnish forces on the Karelian Peninsula. Some progress is made along the southern edge of the peninsula as Terijoki falls in an enveloping move that isolates one Finnish Unit along the border. We have created a small breach in the Finnish line and hope to exploit it next turn. Our plan is to drive hard against the Finns so as to knock them out of the war as soon as possible and free up the forces needed to defeat them for the final drive on Germany.

Soviet Turn 2: Finns retreat blowing bridges as they go. Soviet forces advance and destroy one encircled unit southwest of Terijoki and encircle another northwest of there but fail to destroy it with their attacks. One other Finnish unit is trapped with its back to the river near Lake Ladoga. Soviet forces also manage to bridge the central river and establish a beachhead on the far bank. Several other gains were made on the peninsula as well. Another attack was developed against the Finns further east. The Svir River was breached at Lodeinoye Pole and Soviet forces advanced within a short march of Aunus. The Svir was also breached just northwest of Podporo’ze and troops advanced to contact with Finnish forces. Soviet airmen attacked the Finnish Air Force at their base to try and stop their attacks at the source.

Soviet Turn 3: Soviet advance continues on the Karelian Peninsula and several pocketed Finnish units are destroyed. Soviet forces take Aunus and continue to advance in eastern Finland.

Soviet Turn 4: On the Finnish front the only gains were recorded by unopposed units moving throughout Finland. We anticipate picking up quite a few VP hexes as the Finns concentrate on defending the approaches to Helsinki. Soviet forces launched Operation Bagration with the subtlety of a sledgehammer, hoping that the massed attacks coupled with the shock bonus would produce several breakthroughs along the line. Some gains were made but at the cost of high casualties. Among the towns recaptured were Gorki, Rogachev, and Zhlobin. We also threaten Pinsk, with forces on the outskirts of town posed to take it. Breaches were made in several places but due to the severe fighting no units were able to exploit it.

Soviet Turn 5: All is pretty well quiet on the Karelian front as Soviet forces wait for supplies and replacements to catch up. Soviet forces did advance and take Imatra in an effort to stretch Finnish forces to the limit. On the east side of Lake Ladoga Soviet forces liberated Petrozadosk against no opposition. Mop up operations continue against several Finnish units pocketed along the Svir. Operation Bagration continues to gain momentum as the Fascist forces withdraw in a vain effort to save them. Most of the screen left by the Axis forces were pocketed and destroyed. From north to south, Soviet forces are approaching Opochoka and have captured Rustoshka and Idritsa and are nearing Polotsk. Vitebsk is on the verge of being surrounded as forces exploit breakthroughs north and south of that city. 3rd Tank Army and 29th Tank Army are within a few kilometers of completing the encirclement of Orsha. The fall of Vitebsk and Orsha will greatly enhance our logistical efforts in supplying the Army as it races eastward. The Soviet 3rd and 33rd Armies are also moving to complete the encirclement of Mogilev. The Germans will be forced to counterattack, withdraw, or face the encirclement of the forces there. Soviet forces have also forced a breakthrough that is within 20 kilometers of taking Bobruisk by storm and forcing the Berezina before the Germans can set up defenses behind it. If the Germans prevent this then forces attacking northward have already flanked this line and should force the Germans to retreat from it.

Last edited:

Xandamere

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Here is the Axis assessment of events up to and including turn 5:

Initially I began to pull all of the Finnish forces back from the eastern area (the line along the Svir river and the Karhumaki area) towards Vilpuuri. The defensive terrain is excellent here, with a super river northeast of Vilpuuri, lakes to divide the Soviet attack, and prebuilt fortifications. I figure if I concentrate Finnish strength here I can hold off the Russians for quite some time, especially with the 2 German infantry divisions I've sent in for backup. In this narrow area, Mark cannot fully exploit his numerical superiority without overstacking his units and taking very heavy losses.

The first few turns see the Finns holding up well, although the bulk of Russian strength has yet to be brought against them. They hit back against encroaching Soviet units as the opportunity presents itself, especially when the Russians have to advance and sit upon a river hex. A few sorties by the Finnish Air Force backed by 1 bomber unit of the Luftwaffe make short work of the bulk of the Soviet Navy. The Finnish line has been established, and we'll see if Mark can break it.

On the German front, the first thing to notice about this scenario is that German infantry no longer has a qualitative advantage over the Soviets. In fact, the only areas where I can count on quality to help me out is the severely outnumbered Luftwaffe and my precious few Panzer and Panzergrenadier divisions. These range all the way up to 95% quality, making them very powerful forces indeed, so I need to husband them carefully for when they're needed. As of turn 5, none of my mobile divisions have yet seen action, I see no point in sacrificing these extremely valuable formations just to slow an unstoppable juggernaut.

Operation Bagration drives huge holes into my front lines. I know I can't hold that long of a front with the meager forces at my disposal, so I began to pull back everything I could, leaving a screen of small units (security regiments and engineers mainly) in the parts of fortified line that I still held to slow Mark down. He made short work of these, blasting through most of them on turn 5. They did their job, however, and the bulk of my forces in the center have pulled back safely. As Mark notes, there are cut off German forces in Orsha, Vitebsk, and Mogilev. I don't particularly want to sacrifice my divisions to slow his advance at this early stage, but I need to do something to prevent him from running the rest of my army down in the open, and these cities (which each have fortified areas surrounding them and a supply point in the city itself) seem a good place to leave some troops to help stall the Russian advance.

Mark seems to have used a lot of interdicition on turn 5, which is a very wise move considering that practically all of Army Group Centre is running west at full speed. To help alleviate this threat, I brought in the Luftwaffe's fighter units and concentrated them on the central front to provide cover for my retreat. This led to a series of air battles throughout the turn, resulting in me losing 89 aircraft and Mark losing over 400. A very favorable loss ratio, but the Luftwaffe cannot take this kind of punishment for long (I only have a total of roughly 1,000 ME-109's and FW-190's, some of which are with my allied air forces). I don't know how many aircraft Mark is fielding, but I hope this punishment has hurt some of his bomber formations and will reduce interdiction over the next few turns.

The biggest threat to me right now is the forces storming north out of the Pripet Marshes that are threatening to cut off the retreating Army Group Centre and trap me between his forces advancing from the east. I'm throwing everything I can spare into the line here to attempt to hold Mark off until my troops can make good their escape, but I just don't have much in the way of reserves at this point in the scenario.

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Soviet Turns 6-10

Well here is my description of how I saw things in turns 6-10. Forget to get some screen shots but will try to go back tonight and pick a few to post later.

Soviet Turn 6: It is obvious that our plans for Finland will have to be put on hold until the rail lines are repaired and our logistical tail can catch up. Tried one attack and it failed miserably so we will put our offensive on the Karelian Peninsula on standby. East of Lake Ladoga we are trying to mop up the two pocketed units but this is proving difficult. Most advances are on hold here also as we wait for more supply. Operation Bagration continues on against weak German opposition in all but the bypassed towns and against the drive to outflank the Berezina. Tough work ahead as we surround the cities of Orsha, Mogilev, and Vitebsk. I would like to bypass these altogether but they are necessary for my supply lines. We will work around them as much as possible in an all out drive to get to the Berezina before the Germans have time to dig in too deep. We have advanced to within 40 km of Rezekne and only 20 km from Pytalovo. Our troops have taken Polotsk and have flanked the Dvina by taking Lepel. We are within 10 km of taking Bobruisk and Berezino on the Berezina itself so hopefully we can cross the river on the fly. Further south Pinsk still resists our forces but we have troops on three sides of the city and hope to see its fall soon.

Soviet Turn 7: In Eastern Finland Soviet forces are halted on their northward advance due to the lack of supplies and the forces along the Svir are still struggling to finish off the Finnish troops there. On the Karelian Peninsula the Finns have counterattacked. One Finnish armor unit had extended itself but the worn Soviet troops were unable to cut it off or hurt it in any great degree. Reserves have been moved into this area to rejuvenate the offensive. Operation Bagration continues though the surrounded cities of Orsha, Mogilev, and Vitebsk continue to cause us logistical problems. Soviet forces have reached the Dvina at Druya and Polotsk. Further south we have reached the Berezina and began attacks to force a crossing. We have met with no success as of yet. Forces attacking northward from the Pripet have taken Pinsk and threaten Slutsk. Supplying the troops is continuing to be our main problem. Along that line we have begun to work on the reduction of the surrounded cities mentioned above. Very few successes so far but some the future holds some promise.

Soviet Turn 8: All quiet on the Finnish front. Moved up reserves to make an attack in the second combat round but didn’t get one so they will be there to launch an attack on the next turn. On the central front we are moving to try and pocket the forces arrayed against us at Pskov with the thought of driving for Riga after this so as to cut off all German forces in the Baltic States. Further south we were once again set up to make second round combat against the surrounded cities of Vitebsk, Orsha, and Mogilev. These attacks will have to be carried out next turn. We were able to breach the Berezina in several places as it appears that the Germans are going to fall back even further to avoid our attacks. Many aircraft are put on interdiction to try and hinder this move. In the Balkans several guerilla units are surrounded but some are making a nuisance of themselves.

Soviet Turn 9: Finally finished off the pocketed units in Eastern Finland and started the process of moving those units westward to help in the final defeat of that country. The Finns are proving to be especially troublesome and have had the audacity to actually counterattack my forces. Launched a serious attack on Finnish troops defending the approach to Koivisto but made little headway. Supply continues to be an issue. Railroad and bridge repair continues as rapidly as possible in this sector. On the main front our forces have liberated Pskov and almost have the troops that are defending this area pocketed. It is expected that very few of them will be able to escape before this happens. Meanwhile further south and east our forces have captured Plavinas and the railroad bridge directly NW of that city. This puts our forces only 140 km from Riga. All forces will continue to push for this city as quickly as possible to cut off an landward escape of German units defending in the Baltic States. The Dvina has been breached at Daugavpils and our forward units are only 90 km from Ukmerge. The Berezina has been crossed in many places and are advancing as fast as German rearguard units and supply difficulties will allow. We also continued our attacks northward from the Pripet. Some successes were met this turn and several German units were destroyed. We have run into several units of the 18 PzGD just on the other side of the southern Berezina and we are not sure if they intend to fight or if our rapid advance just caught them before the could escape further west. Large scale assaults were made against the cities of Vitebsk, Orsha, and Mogilev. According to reports from the commanders on the scene we we unable to gain hardly any ground but that the Fascists paid a much higher price in casualties then our forces did. Railroad and bridge repair also continues as fast as possible in the central sector.

Soviet Turn 10: Soviet forces continued to attack Finns guarding the approaches to Koivisto, retreating some units but not all. Otherwise this area of the front is pretty quiet and will probably remain so until the rail lines can be repaired and fresh troops brought over from Eastern Finland. In the central sector our forces closed the pocket at Pskov and continued to attack there. Our forces are now only 50 km from Riga, advancing up both sides of the Dvina. We have also reached the outskirts of Panevezys, outflanking Ukmerge to the north. We also have armored recon elements just outside the city of Minsk and will take the city soon. Once again we assault the cities of Vitebsk, Orsha, and Mogilev with limited success. Hopefully the German defenders are getting weaker each time and will collapse under the weight of repeated assaults by our brave comrades.

Xandamere

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Turns 6-10, from the Axis perspective:

Orsha, Mogilev, and Vitebsk are surrounded on turn 6. They all have supply points and good fortifications, so I had planned on leaving a few suicide troops behind here to slow the logistics of Mark's advance, but unfortunately he trapped a few more forces in each city than I had intended to leave. Down in the Pripet Marshes, my fears have come true as his forces surge northwards. I sent 16th, 20th, and 5th panzer divisions as well as SS Wiking to counterattack and I managed to inflict some losses, but I pulled the panzer divisions back before getting too tangled up...it would be a disaster to get one surrounded and lose it admist the Russian advance. These formations are precious, and I cannot afford to lose one this early in the match.

The Finns are holding out quite happily, lines intact, fortified, and in good supply. The Russians keep advancing up towards the Finnish lines and getting thrown back by counterattacks. The peace-loving Finns extend an offering of armistice, if the Soviets will surrender Leningrad to them.

As this phase of the game continues, I see that I was wise to not attempt and hold a line along the Dvina/Berezina rivers, as Mark's forces coming out of the Pripet Marshes cannot be stopped. He manages to surround upwards of 2 infantry divisions in various areas of the marshes, plus support units, but that's infinitely better than if I had left my troops eastward and had them hit in the rear by the Soviets. I want to slow Mark and keep him away from the heartland of Germany, but I cannot afford to lose my army...my reinforcements in this scenario are not impressive.

I suffer another blow when Mark pockets my troops around Pskov...those buggers were held in reserve until turn 11 so I couldn't pull them out! Another infantry division plus several support units are surrounded and currently under heavy Soviet attack.

It looks like Mark is going to cut off Estonia when he takes Riga, but luckily I have reasonable sea transport in this game. I'm not going to pull a Hitler and insist on holding the Courland pocket, you can bet on that!

Given my initial assessments of the scenario, I've kept an eye on my infantry units (Which for some odd reason begin this scenario as untried), and I've made a special effort to pull any 80%+ proficiency units off the line as fast as possible, to save them for more critical fights. As the game progresses and more important objectives come under attack, I'll need troops that have a qualitative edge on the Soviets.

In the air war, the Luftwaffe has been limited to reacting to Mark's heavy interdiction. On my turns, I fly my fighters forward to cover my retreating troops, then fly them back at the end of the turn to airbases in the rear, where they're safe. I can't afford to lose my air arm this early, so I have to be careful with them. As of turn 10, I've lost slightly over 200 frontline fighters, and my fighter strength stands at 864. I'm sure Mark has thousands of aircraft, but I believe I'm hurting whatever bomber formations he's using for interdiction...my air briefing has said over 300 Soviet aircraft shot down each turn for the last 5 turns, almost all of them when they interdict my units and are attacked in turn by my fighters. I'm hoping I can wear down his bomber formations through this tactic.

Finally, as of turn 10 the Soviet loss penalty is at 28 and the Axis is at 0. Very little combat in the last couple turns has contributed to a reduction in the loss penalties as replacements fill out the units in the field.

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Okay, here is my first attempt at posting a screenshot. This is the Finnish front at the start of the Soviet Turn 11.

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
One last one, here is the pocket around Pskov at the start of the Soviet turn 11.

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Soviet Turns 11 - 15

Here is how things looked from the Soviets for turns 11 - 15

Soviet Turn 11: All is quiet on the Finnish front as we dig in and try to withstand the Finnish spoiling attacks. Waiting for reserves to move up and the rail line to be repaired. Attacks were launched at Narva but with little success. Our main hope there is to pin the enemy in place until we can cut them off. Further south our forces entered portions of Riga and began to move west and north from that point. Instead of allowing the Germans time to withdraw from the Baltic ports we intend to make him fight to keep them and do what we can to cut him off from that avenue of escape. Once again assaults were launched against Vitebsk, Orsha, and Mogilev. We actually managed to retreat the Germans out of Vitebsk but our forces were too exhausted to take advantage and couldn’t occupy the city before German troops were retreated into from another attack. Our forces also completed the capture of Minsk on this date and continued to race westward. New attacks were launched south of the Pripet but minimal gains were made. We expect the continuing attacks there to have a telling effect in the week to come.

Soviet Turn 12: Began pulling troops from Eastern Finland to bolster my attacks on the Karelian Peninsula and to expand my advances north and west of Imatra. Continued attacks on the Pskov pocket with not much success but since the Germans there have no supply source it is only a matter of time. Meanwhile the rail repair unit waiting patiently there has been sent to help repair railways in Finland. Further south we continued attacks against the surrounded cities of Vitebsk, Orsha, and Mogilev. No ground gained but German casualties are mounting. We have completed the capture of Riga and some troops are headed westward from there and others have turned north in an effort to capture the Baltic ports and deny the Germans an escape route by sea if possible. Our troops are with 120 km of Memel and all are racing wanting to be the first to capture German soil. Further south of this thrust troops are poised on the outskirts of Kaunas, and Wilno and Lida have fallen with advance elements from these attacks only 90 km from Grodno. Soviet troops in a bold and fast paced move have also seized the citadel city of Brest Litovsk in preparation for throwing a bridgehead over the Bug River. Back to the east, our forces continue to track down and destroy pocketed German troops but this is troublesome and time consuming. South of the Pripet our troops are also approaching the Bug River and have come within 30 km of Lvov. South of this we are engaged in clearing out German rearguard between our start line and the Dnestr River. The partisans in the Balkans, who have gone unmentioned so far, are busy in the mountains blowing bridges and railroads.

Soviet Turn 13: Continued consolidation of the Finnish front along with repairing the railroads to get better supply to units in the further reaches of that country. Broke over the Narva River and began to race to the Baltic ports to cut off the escape of German units by sea. Doubt we catch many but every one that we do destroy is one less on the main front. We now have units within 40 km of Memel and within 50 km of Tilsit. It will be a race to see who takes the first German town in East Prussia. Meanwhile we have crossed the Nieman River at Kaunas and expanded our bridgehead there. We also have recon units on the outskirts of Grodno but we will have to hold off its capture until the arrival of stronger units. Units prepared themselves for the next turn crossing of the Bug River at Brest Litovsk and near Chelm. Lvov was captured this turn with forces gathering themselves for a big push on Przemsyl and Jaroslaw in the ensuing turns. Intelligence suggests that this will not be easy as it looks like the Axis forces have pulled back to the Vistula and not engaged in any heavy fighting before that river. We have also received indications that the Axis is reinforcing the aforementioned sector with heavy elements of his army by rail. Overall I think we will have to call for a rest and refit for those forces north of the Pripet as the approach the Nieman as many of these troops are red coded without even seeing any combat. Priority in this area must be placed on taking Vitebsk, Orsha, and Mogilev to allow for the repair of rail lines. South of the Pripet we will push as fast as possible to gain the Vistula and a possible bridgehead. Rail lines are shorter in this area and it is hoped that we can supply our troops well enough to maintain momentum.

Soviet Turn 14: No activity on the Finnish front other then rail repair and digging in to cause the Finns more casualties. The Narva River line is broken and troops are in hot pursuit of German troops headed for the Baltic ports and seaborne safety. Parnu did fall this turn to forces advancing up the west coast. Bridgeheads were secured and expanded over the Bug River but no major actions to speak off. South of the Pripet troops consolidated the takeover of Lvov and advanced to within 20 km of Zamosc and 40 km of Przemysl. Sambor also fell this turn. Rail repair continues at a rapid pace where possible. In the ongoing sieges of Vitebsk, Orsha, and Mogilev some gains were noted and we expect that Vitebsk may actually fall next turn. In almost all attacks against these areas the Germans had more casualties then our gallant troops so attrition should be taking it’s toll soon.

Soviet Turn 15: Attacks launched once again on the Finnish front as our supply situation improves somewhat and replacements have built up some of the earlier depleted divisions. No ground was gained but this will be slow grinding offensive designed to wear the Finnish Army down to the bone. Reserves from Eastern Finland are beginning to arrive in this sector.
In the Baltic States our forces have advanced to the outskirts of Tallinn. We will be able to attack next turn but are doubtful that there will be any Germans there to attack as they will all probably make there escape by sea. All the units in this area won’t make it out though as several units have been trapped and will be destroyed. The Pskov pocket was also eliminated on this turn. Russian forces have captured the first German territory in East Prussia though Memel and Tislit still remain in enemy hands. We have also been unable to expand our bridgehead over the Bug River at Brest Litovsk at this time. Further south we have flanked Chelm to the SE and are on the outskirts of Krasnystaw, which puts us only 60 km from Lublin. Our forces that have captured Zamosc also outflank Krasnystaw and it should fall shortly. In a mad rush Soviet forces have captured Przemysl and the bridges there but there appear to be a large number of German formations there so it shall remain to be seen whether we can hold it. Moving southward our forces have moved up the edge of the Carpathian Mountains and continue to mop up isolated forces and consolidate our control on this area. A cheer is raised for the forces besieging Vitebsk as the city proper has fallen under our control leaving two isolated pockets north and south of the city. Attacks were also made at Orsha and Mogilev with some ground gained but more importantly some German units were destroyed. This should make these cities capture easier in the days to come. As much as I would like to continue the advance into East Prussia it appears that we will need to stop, refit, and rest with the bulk of our forces in this area. Some consideration will have to be placed on repairing the rail net so as to resupply our advance elements. We will continue the push elsewhere to try and keep the Germans off balance.

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Here is the situation around Vitebsk. Couldn't do any others at this time without giving too much away.

Xandamere

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Ah look at all those juicy Soviet units sitting around Vitebsk....and not on the front lines. That's why I left those three fortress cities behind, to disrupt Mark's supply net and force him to split up his attacking force to deal with the pockets behind his lines.

Xandamere

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Turns 11-15 from the Axis perspective:

Turn 11 was a doozy, the far north front in Estonia and the south front around Brest-Litovsk south along the Carpathians to the edge of the Hungariay forces activated. As with the initial start of Operation Bagration, all my troops had orders to pull back as fast as possible. I left a screen of security and engineer units to delay Mark's forces while my main army retreated...no sense in throwing my forces away in battle in poor terrain against an enemy operating with a shock bonus.

In Estonia, Army Group North pulls back as fast as possible to the ports in order to be shipped out...no Courland pocket for me!

Turns 12-14 really had very little action. Finland was almost totally quiet, the other fronts just consisted of German troops pulling back while the Soviets cleared up my screen of suicide units I left behind to delay my enemy.

Turn 15 opened up a bit more on the Finnish front as Mark moved substantial forces up to Finnish lines. I'm not sure I agree with his long pause on the Finnish front...it allowed me to rest up my troops, bring in some Germans, and they're quite formidable now. Finnish forces counterattack as Mark moved up to my line, and even though I didn't actually kill any Soviet units I drove up his loss penalty from 50 or so to 105, just on the Finnish front alone.

Soviet forces have also begun to reach my lines in East Prussia, along the southern Vistula, and in the Carpathian mountains. The game has been relatively quiet on the main front for a while now, but the serious action is about to begin...

Xandamere

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Here are some screenshots of my lines at the end of my turn 17...just posting the edge of my lines because I don't want to reveal what I have hiding behind my lines waiting to pounce :)

Xandamere

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
And finally, the Carpathians front: Sorry for so many screenshots...just wanted to show the status of the entire front, this won't happen again :)