Good websites to visit.

Kevin Kenneally

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
All,

I highly recommend this website to visit if you wish to get more information to read about WWII for possible scenarios.

http://cgsc.leavenworth.army.mil/carl/contentdm/home.htm

Visit these links on this site:

WWII Operational Documents

CGSC Student Papers

Military Review

and

the CSI Press.

You will be very pleased when you se GREAT items there.

Kevin Kenneally

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

Kevin Kenneally

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Thanks Kevin! I've been there but did not see that overview page. Nice.

Here is one for Ray W: DA-PAM 20-244: Soviet partisan movement, 1941-1944.

Ziemkes book on German operations in Scandinavia is there too for those who do not have it. Highly recomended!

That would be:

"The Northern Theater of Operations".

Excellent book. Now everyone needs to download this before it goes away.

Kevin Kenneally

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Maybe the Moderators place a "sticky" on this thread?

So that others MAY enjoy these "FREE" materials of research and historical enjoyment.

Jazz

Inactive
Reaction score
Country
llLithuania
I'm trying to save some of these pdf files but for some reason it's not working - any hints?
Worked for me, but it did take long enough for the PDF to actually load to my screen that I thought it wasn't working for a while. Once it got there, they all saved successfully.

Thunderchief

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
They do take a bit of time to load, but clicking on the save button doesn't give me apopup window to give it a file name and save it to a folder.

Opening the file in a different window then trying the "save as" option doesn't work either.

Surely it's not because I'm from outside the US? :cry:

Kevin Kenneally

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
They do take a bit of time to load, but clicking on the save button doesn't give me apopup window to give it a file name and save it to a folder.

Opening the file in a different window then trying the "save as" option doesn't work either.

Surely it's not because I'm from outside the US? :cry:
If you are doing this from your work place, they may have the disabled the save function to make saving any documents downloaded inoperative to save. I have this same problem at my work.

But the save function works fine at home. Many of the documents are 4+Mbs in size. So be careful when you begin to download. Even with high-speed interenet, it will take some time. If you are on "dial-up", then it will take all night to download one file.

Paul M. Weir

Forum Guru
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Country
llIreland
Worked for me even though I am in Ireland, thank the gods for broadband!

They also have Glantz's two books on "August Storm", the Soviet invasion of Manchuria in 1945 as well as one on Nomonhan in 1938. The only time I saw the two Glantz books in a shop I was already overloaded, both for my arms and way beyond airline check-in weight limits, so I had to pass.

Kevin Kenneally

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Worked for me even though I am in Ireland, thank the gods for broadband!

They also have Glantz's two books on "August Storm", the Soviet invasion of Manchuria in 1945 as well as one on Nomonhan in 1938. The only time I saw the two Glantz books in a shop I was already overloaded, both for my arms and way beyond airline check-in weight limits, so I had to pass.
Paul,

So download as much as you can as quickly as you can.

Enjoy

Thunderchief

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
If you are doing this from your work place, they may have the disabled the save function to make saving any documents downloaded inoperative to save. I have this same problem at my work.

But the save function works fine at home. Many of the documents are 4+Mbs in size. So be careful when you begin to download. Even with high-speed interenet, it will take some time. If you are on "dial-up", then it will take all night to download one file.
I'm using broadband and am trying from home - no way would work allow access to downloading stuff off the net! Still no luck, will keep trying to see if things change.

trevpr1

ASL Player
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Oh lord have mercy on us NOW. :hush:

Trev is "privy" to all the US ASL players Historical treasure trove...... :angry:

Enjoy. :clown:

I won't be able to do much with it but 'gape in awe and wonder' (as the heralds in Civ II say). However there are two designers of scenarios not far from me who will love this.

Kevin Kenneally

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I won't be able to do much with it but 'gape in awe and wonder' (as the heralds in Civ II say). However there are two designers of scenarios not far from me who will love this.
Trev,

Make sure you look at the 5 part "Small unit actions on the Eastern Front." VERY GREAT readings in that book. Glad I found the digits version, my paperback hard=copy is breaking at the glued binder.

Also, the "Siege of Bastogne" papers is the basis for the Book "Eight Days at Bastogne". Please read the CGSC paper "Armor at Bastogne". It also appears in the Eight days of Bastogne as well.

tmercer

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Surely it's not because I'm from outside the US?

Nah, I'm on the central coast (iinet) and am downloading fine. I clicked on the file which opened in my browser window as a pdf. Then I clicked on the "save a copy" button within the pdf frame. It did take a few minutes to appear in my browser due to the file size and no adsl2 up here but once it got there it was good. If you are still stuck let me know and I will dl a few and email to you

Tim