Good Seaborne Assault Scenarios

Discussion in 'Advanced Squad Leader' started by Mr Incredible, Dec 7, 2017.

1. Mr Incredible

Mr Incredible Rod loves red undies

Oct 26, 2004
    Perth, Australia
    Thinking about undertaking a seaborne assault scenario with a regular opponent.

I have played BR:T and Sand & Blood.

Was looking for a regular seaborne assault scenario and seeking recommendations for one to cut our teeth on.

Was thinking

A55 The Cat has Jumped
    A79 Mike Red
    Hell or High Water
    When I call Roll

any other suggestions?

2. djohannsen

djohannsen Active Member

Jan 3, 2017
    ASL74 "Bloody Red Beach" is one that I want to try (someday).

Jeffrey D Myers and Eagle4ty like this.
  3. Honza

Honza The Art Of Wargames Silver Supporting Member

Dec 30, 2005
    Oxfordshire
    There are not a lot of Seaborne Assault scenarios to choose from.

4. rreinesch

rreinesch Active Member

Feb 11, 2005
    Austin, TX
    If you have Blood and Jungle, BFP-56 White Beach 1 is fairly small scenario you can cut your teeth on.

Spencer Armstrong likes this.
  5. LFT98 "And Then They Landed' is, I believe, a seaborne assault from LFT #11, which came with the cool beach map.

6. MAS01

MAS01 Active Member

Sep 29, 2009
    Joplin, MO
    Just looking at the scenarios out of LFT 12 this morning:

FT136, Shanghai By Sea, is a 7 turn scenario with 6 Japanese landing craft and 14 squads.

FT145, Bears of Kinmen, is larger, at 8.5 turns with 12 ChiCom landing craft and 24 squads.

7. Eagle4ty

Eagle4ty Active Member

Nov 7, 2007
    Eau Claire, Wi
    If looking for something a little out of the ordinary try Lone Canuk's LSSAH#11 "SEA BATTLE" and LSSAH#13 "THE RUSSIANS ARE COMING!". The former is a Sea Assault scenario the latter a Sea Evacuation one (rare indeed). I gave both scenarios a rating of 8 out of 10 for fun, playability and balance and replay for what that's worth (of course quite subjective).

8. zgrose

zgrose Active Member

Jun 13, 2004
    Pinole, CA
    A hearty +1 for AP101 When I Call Roll in your list. Very playable and touches many of the rule elements of a Seaborne Assault.

9. buser333

buser333 Active Member

Jun 24, 2013
    central WI
    My regular opponent and I just broke into these ourselves. He chose "AP101 - When I Call Roll" as our first foray and it proved to be a great learning scenario. We are now playing "CH4a - Dog Green" and it is a nice additional step up from that. After that we plan to tackle "AP83 - Thai Hot" to ease our way into the Japanese.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2017
  10. ReggieRed

ReggieRed Member

Aug 14, 2015
    Central Ohio
    When I Call Roll was a nice one to "get our feet wet" (pun intended), and it has a write-up in one of the recent journals (11 or 12) that was helpful for getting a handle on the rules. Dog Green is basically the same action but adds a few things that are not in When I Call Roll, namely transporting tanks to shore in LCs, and a much larger ocean area to traverse to introduce more chances to attack LCs on their run in. When I Call Roll was so small that it offered few opportunities to shoot at LCs and thus we really didn't get a good handle on those rules.

Bloody Red Beach and/or Hell or High Water from the Gung Ho/Rising Sun set is our goal, but one of them (don't remember off-hand) has caves and we thought that might be a lot to bite off along with the seaborne assault stuff right off the bat.

11. jrv

jrv Vare, legiones redde!

May 25, 2005
    Teutoburger Wald
    Bloody Red Beach has caves. On the other hand its use of LC is fairly limited. The Marines land mostly in LVTs, which die like normal vehicles instead of using DP. Still its not the worst decision ever made to hold back and learn something of the beach landing rules first.

JR

12. bprobst

bprobst Active Member

AP83 Thai Hot is like "Seaborne Assault Lite" and a fun scenario too.

13. Sean Deller

Sean Deller Active Member

Oct 17, 2004
    Massachusetts
    Concur. This is a great scenario.

14. zgrose

zgrose Active Member

Jun 13, 2004
    Pinole, CA
    Super duper lite (seaborne assault) but a nice scenario.

15. Cpl Uhl

Cpl Uhl Active Member

Dec 2, 2007
    Brussels, Belgium
    Any of the early war Japanese seaborne assaults are easier because they don't have ramped LC.

16. jrv

May 25, 2005
    Teutoburger Wald
    The Japanese Daihatsu has a ramp. It was used 1937-1945.

[​IMG]

JR

GeorgeBates and kcole4001 like this.
  17. von Marwitz

von Marwitz Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2010
    Kraut Corner
    It surely does have an interesting hull design. I was not aware of this before.

von Marwitz

18. jrv

May 25, 2005
    Teutoburger Wald
    kcole4001 likes this.
  19. KhandidGamera

KhandidGamera Trn&InfraSt Rwk-VLXM Elim

Oct 20, 2007
    Greencastle, PA
    I'm surprised no one mentioned DB62 Heroic Defense of Wake. Lots of interesting things in this, Bunker guys have some talent for innovation I think. Part night, part day, burning wreck LC (actually Patrol Boat), Japanese Air Support. Haven't gotten a chance to play this, but want to. Seems like a good primer on a number of subjects with a manageable scenario size.

Early CH one, predating SPR, but you can pick out CPT Miller in the OB: CH4 Stutzpunkt Vierville.

ASL News #49, Assault on Pointe-Du-Hoc.

Some day JR, when I can take more time off for ASLOK: BRB.

Tom Morin likes this.
  20. Whiskers1123

Whiskers1123 Active Member

Sep 12, 2012
    SoCal
    What about Critical Hit Packs. They have many. I'm sure I missed a few.

Pointe-du-Hoc
    Omaha Beach West
    Omaha Beach East
    Gold Beach
    Sword Beach
    Juno Beach
    King Red and new King Red/King Green coming soon
    Utah Beach coming soon
    St. Come-du-Mont coming soon

Honza likes this.