Good Infantry Scenario for a new player?

von Garvin

Staff member
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Hi all
I have a new ASL player and we are meeting on Saturday for his second game. He's a gamer, but new to ASL. Our first match was ASL A, The Guards Counterattack. Other than Gavin Take, which I don't really like for teaching due to SAN of 0, what would you recommend for an infantry-only scenario?

Thanks in advance!

von G

Binchois

Too many words...
Reaction score
First name
Lester
Country
llUnited States
If you have it, Totensonntag (FrF45) from Friendly Fire Pack #6. Awesome little scenario using infantry and MGs, plus one Lt MTR per side. Good for teaching offensive maneuvering (Polish) plus forestalling and withdrawal tactics (Germany). The terrain is pretty basic (though there is a 1st-Level Steeple), with good opportunities to try out Wall Advantage, FLs, or CC. There's even one Polish hero in the OoB.

Fast play which replays differently almost every time. I hope this helps!

P.S. SANs are 2 and 3 ;)

Uncle_Duke

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I'd like to add ASL 126 "Commando Schenke" to the list.

Pros:
Infantry Only
Included in Beyond Valor (and thus playable by nearly everyone)
Lots of fun toys for the Germans (8-3-8s, FTs, DCs, Good Leaders)

Cons:
Slightly more complicated than some on this list by virtue of urban terrain and greater variety of weapons
Lots of ways to lose as the Russians. Newer players are better off playing as the Germans. (Thanks @R Hooks for reminding me of this)

Last edited:

R Hooks

Smoke Break brb
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I'd like to add ASL 126 "Commando Schenke" to the list.

Pros:
Infantry Only
Included in Beyond Valor (and thus playable by nearly everyone)
Lots of fun toys for the Germans (8-3-8s, FTs, DCs, Good Leaders)

Cons:
Slightly more complicated than some on this list by virtue of urban terrain and greater variety of weapons
I played ASL 126 a month or so ago and barely won, as Russian with balance. I think a new player might have a hard time defending against what can become a steam roller very rapidly. So if you try it let him be German.

Uncle_Duke

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I played ASL 126 a month or so ago and barely won, as Russian with balance. I think a new player might have a hard time defending against what can become a steam roller very rapidly. So if you try it let him be German.
You make an excellent point. Though ROAR has "Commando Schenke" as ~52% pro German over 131 plays at the time of this post, I think it's a little misleading-- there are a lot of ways to lose the scenario spectacularly as the Russians, most of which relate to setting up too far forward or not realizing that some blocks are death traps.

As the Germans, it's more about calculated aggression. You may be tempted to fire all those sweet shiny toys you get, but shooting won't get you any closer to the objective. There are still ways to make make mistakes, but it's probably a little more forgiving to a German player than the Russian.

A_T_Great

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Scenarios 1-4 are good. I found I was able to get a good grasp of the rules by playing the first ten scenario's in BV.

fenyan

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I've had fun with ASL 105 Going to Church and DASL 1 Guryev's Headquarters.

von Garvin

Staff member
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
We are going with AP 08, Bloody Harvest. Now he will be exposed to Scenario Defender and all it entails, including boresighting.
Ought to be fun.