God I'm so confused - Printing boards from VASL....

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
Perhaps colour photocopies of physical boards would be easier?
Even using a home all-in-one printer-scanner-phocopier would do it.

Jazz

Inactive
Reaction score
Country
llLithuania
What I have done in the past to get physical maps with overlays and other VASL affects is:

- Create a VASL game consisting of one board with all the effects (no hills, ground snow, etc...) in effect. A 3 board scenario would require 3 single board VASL games.
- Save the .png image using the VASL option.
- Find a color printer that will handle 11"x17" (not sure of corresponding European paper size?) paper.
- Print each board out with all the same hard wired size/scaling parameters. I used PhotoShop but I'm sure other programs such as gimp have this sort of capability.

While a bit time consuming and cumbersome, in my experience this does yield boards with VASL effects and a slightly enlarged hex size with littl/no distortion. I used it to make maps for a FtF playing of Battlin' Buckeyes which IMMHO is unplayable if you cannot remove the hills on the physical boards.

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
The first thing I'd do is unzip the vasl module and see if the original board images are there. If you are not aware, you can just change the extension on a vasl module from *.vsl to *.zip.
The map images are not stored in the module (.vmod) file. They are stored in board files, which do not have extensions. You may be thinking of the game files, which can be saved with any extension, and I am guessing you are saving them with vsl. I use .vsav. The saved game files do not contain the maps themselves. They contain the names of the maps. The maps are loaded from the board files. You can print the map from the board files, but that will not show any features of the on-going game, nor is it possible to generate an image with multiple maps as a single image, if that is what you are aiming to do, without using some other program.

I doubt anyone is going to give you the resize number you ask for, as it is printer dependent (even if you get the dpi right). Just iterate in by printing a hex, measure with a caliper, and adjusting.
vasl exports .png files, and I believe .png files have a definite idea of how big they are physically. A two-map-row map exported to .png while viewed at zoom 100% is exported at 300 dpi, is 2600 x 2090 pixels, and will print at size 8.667 x 6.967 inches, including a 400 pixel (1.33 inch) white border around the maps. The driver and/or the program you print with will make sure that it actually prints at that size, unless you aren't paying attention and leave a checkbox on that says "fit to page size" or something similar. A map exported while at zoom 50% is exported at 300 dpi and is 1300 x 1045 pixels and 4.33 x 3.483 inches. Again if you print it at its natural size, It will appear on paper as that size (in inches). The printer driver will convert the image dpi and number of pixels to the equivalent on the printer, no matter how printer native dpi varies from dpi in the .png file.

Some image formats do not store the physical size (or dpi) inside themselves (or perhaps some programs don't insert that information in them). In those cases images printed on one printer may have a different size than ones printed on a different printer, but the vasl images do have the dpi information stored in them, so I believe that probably all printers will print the images exported from vasl at the same size (again, barring some other program or driver resizing it).

Depending on what you are aiming to do, one problem may be that the vasl board files are not the same ratio length to width as the true maps. vasl maps are 1800 x 645 pixels. By my measurement physical maps are 8 x 21 15⁄16 inches (I got a range of measures from the different, bad rulers I own; you may want to find a really good ruler to get more precise numbers). If you compare the length to width ratios of physical to vasl you will see they disagree by about 1.5%. So when you zoom to the correct width (372.1% seems to be a number that works to get the right width), the length will be off and vice versa. If your goal is to produce maps that will be compatible with physical maps, you must scale the width and the length independently. There is no vasl zoom level that will produce compatible maps. You should be able to punch numbers into a spreadsheet to get the correct x and y scaling, however. If your goal is to print out maps that are a certain size across but are not concerned with compatibility with physical maps then you should be able to punch in numbers and produce maps that are whatever size you want using either vasl zoom or some other program for scaling.

JR

Last edited:

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
As a matter of trivia, physical size is an optional parameter in a .png file. It is possible to have a .png without that information in it. The vasl png exporter seems to be filling it in, however. The information is stored as pixels per meter, and is apparently converted in gimp to other units (such as dpi). As meters and inches don't align neatly the actual number is probably stored in the png file as a rounded number. I am guessing most programs will honor the physical size when printing.

JR

BigAl737

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I put this together long ago...

I use MS Publisher but any page editing software would work just as well I think.

It assumes you start with the boards set up (w/overlays, turn tracks, whatever) in VASL.

Attachments

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
Another option, and I think I recommend it over MS Publisher, is to use PosteRazor. Create the image as above and chop the border off. Scale the image if you want it to be compatible with existing boards. Posterazor works as a wizard. Select the cropped (and scaled) image, set options for page size, orientation, border, overlap size, & target size. It exports to a .pdf. You can print the .pdf yourself or take it to your favorite print shop. This skips setting the page size & centering the image, etc, that you do in MS publisher. PosteRazor is available in windows and linux (definitely free in linux & the last time I used it, in windows as well); I don't know about its availability for mac. It's a tool that does a very specific thing (i.e. it's not as broadly useful as MS publisher), but for printing maps it is exactly what you need to do and no more.

JR

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
After some more investigation, I have found that vasl does *not* mark the png with size information. When gimp said that it knew the size I took it at its word, but I noticed PosteRazor was reporting pixel density as 72 dpi, not the 300 dpi reported by gimp. As I said, pixel density is optional in .png. It's relatively easy to add to the file if you need to do that; I used the imagemagick utility convert to add the information. There's no reason you would need to add it to a .png just to print it out with posterazor.

JR

xenovin

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Vincent
Country
llUnited States
This must be what Ray uses lol

Another option, and I think I recommend it over MS Publisher, is to use PosteRazor. Create the image as above and chop the border off. Scale the image if you want it to be compatible with existing boards. Posterazor works as a wizard. Select the cropped (and scaled) image, set options for page size, orientation, border, overlap size, & target size. It exports to a .pdf. You can print the .pdf yourself or take it to your favorite print shop. This skips setting the page size & centering the image, etc, that you do in MS publisher. PosteRazor is available in windows and linux (definitely free in linux & the last time I used it, in windows as well); I don't know about its availability for mac. It's a tool that does a very specific thing (i.e. it's not as broadly useful as MS publisher), but for printing maps it is exactly what you need to do and no more.

JR

Reaction score
First name
Ricardo
Country
llSpain
The map images are not stored in the module (.vmod) file. They are stored in board files, which do not have extensions. You may be thinking of the game files, which can be saved with any extension, and I am guessing you are saving them with vsl. I use .vsav. The saved game files do not contain the maps themselves. They contain the names of the maps. The maps are loaded from the board files. You can print the map from the board files, but that will not show any features of the on-going game, nor is it possible to generate an image with multiple maps as a single image, if that is what you are aiming to do, without using some other program.

vasl exports .png files, and I believe .png files have a definite idea of how big they are physically. A two-map-row map exported to .png while viewed at zoom 100% is exported at 300 dpi, is 2600 x 2090 pixels, and will print at size 8.667 x 6.967 inches, including a 400 pixel (1.33 inch) white border around the maps. The driver and/or the program you print with will make sure that it actually prints at that size, unless you aren't paying attention and leave a checkbox on that says "fit to page size" or something similar. A map exported while at zoom 50% is exported at 300 dpi and is 1300 x 1045 pixels and 4.33 x 3.483 inches. Again if you print it at its natural size, It will appear on paper as that size (in inches). The printer driver will convert the image dpi and number of pixels to the equivalent on the printer, no matter how printer native dpi varies from dpi in the .png file.

Some image formats do not store the physical size (or dpi) inside themselves (or perhaps some programs don't insert that information in them). In those cases images printed on one printer may have a different size than ones printed on a different printer, but the vasl images do have the dpi information stored in them, so I believe that probably all printers will print the images exported from vasl at the same size (again, barring some other program or driver resizing it).

Depending on what you are aiming to do, one problem may be that the vasl board files are not the same ratio length to width as the true maps. vasl maps are 1800 x 645 pixels. By my measurement physical maps are 8 x 21 15⁄16 inches (I got a range of measures from the different, bad rulers I own; you may want to find a really good ruler to get more precise numbers). If you compare the length to width ratios of physical to vasl you will see they disagree by about 1.5%. So when you zoom to the correct width (372.1% seems to be a number that works to get the right width), the length will be off and vice versa. If your goal is to produce maps that will be compatible with physical maps, you must scale the width and the length independently. There is no vasl zoom level that will produce compatible maps. You should be able to punch numbers into a spreadsheet to get the correct x and y scaling, however. If your goal is to print out maps that are a certain size across but are not concerned with compatibility with physical maps then you should be able to punch in numbers and produce maps that are whatever size you want using either vasl zoom or some other program for scaling.

JR
The board files with no extension can be open with programs like Winzip, Winrar, 7z, etc. You will see among other files a gif file of the board you need.

sneo

Singapore ASL'er
Reaction score
Country
llSingapore
let me know which maps you require as I have a workflow of getting the right files out and processing these in photshop each time theres a new map released. i have these in pdf for full board and half board.

Martin Mayers

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Gulagwanker
Country
llUkraine
Which Clipping Tool is that, Martin?
The Snipping Tool....standard on Windows. Strangely enough I never knew it existed until someone pointed it out relatively recently.

So...now I just crop the board on VASL. Do a snip of the playing area. Then print it off on A4 or A3. And usually can do a bit of zooming in to make the hexes slightly larger.

Really easy.

Last edited:
Reactions: MTL

olli

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llGermany
Martin it would be a bit expensive but take the map to a printers and get them to copy and run off as many as you need?