Go See Bruce Springsteen - Don't Forget Your Life Savings!

CPangracs

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Springsteen: Joe Schmo,...for a price!

Yes, ladies and gentlemen, from the guy who claims to be an "everyman" from Jersey. The staunch supporter of the Democratic Party and supporting the poor with social programs brings you the chance to see one of his concerts for a mere $100 so he can start his own "Get Bruce Rich" program!!

Yes, you, the guy pushing that shopping cart! Come on in and get warm for 2 hours and hear some of Springsteens hackneyed old tunes! Don't forget to buy an official concert T-Shirt for twice the price of a normal one, so all of your buddies back at the shelter can be envious and stab you for it while you sleep!;)

Yep,...this is a glaring example of how the entertainment illuminati think of the peasants. If this joker really believed in "the little guy", he would make his concerts affordable to anyone, not just the person who can blow a quick $100 on a singer who has a voice which is marginal, at best, and musical talent barely worthy of a 15 year old beginning guitar student.

Way to go, Bruce!:rolleyes:

Reaction score
CPangracs said:
Springsteen: Joe Schmo,...for a price!

Yes, ladies and gentlemen, from the guy who claims to be an "everyman" from Jersey. The staunch supporter of the Democratic Party and supporting the poor with social programs brings you the chance to see one of his concerts for a mere $100 so he can start his own "Get Bruce Rich" program!!

Yes, you, the guy pushing that shopping cart! Come on in and get warm for 2 hours and hear some of Springsteens hackneyed old tunes! Don't forget to buy an official concert T-Shirt for twice the price of a normal one, so all of your buddies back at the shelter can be envious and stab you for it while you sleep!;)

Yep,...this is a glaring example of how the entertainment illuminati think of the peasants. If this joker really believed in "the little guy", he would make his concerts affordable to anyone, not just the person who can blow a quick $100 on a singer who has a voice which is marginal, at best, and musical talent barely worthy of a 15 year old beginning guitar student.

Way to go, Bruce!:rolleyes:
You did notice that it is a charity concert. A fund raiser. Not so different than politicians charging $200, $500, $1000 a plate dinners for about $10 worth of food, just so those who are already converts can hear more of the same, while the politicos line their warchests.

This is a free market economy. If there was such outrage over the price of the tickets, people wouldn't buy them, much less go on eBay and pay the ridiculous prices being reported. If a benefit concert was being given by someone who had the same political beliefs as you, at $100 a pop, I think you would consider spending the dough. Regardless of whether you actually parted with it.

CPangracs

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Iron Mike USMC said:
You did notice that it is a charity concert. A fund raiser. Not so different than politicians charging $200, $500, $1000 a plate dinners for about $10 worth of food, just so those who are already converts can hear more of the same, while the politicos line their warchests.

This is a free market economy. If there was such outrage over the price of the tickets, people wouldn't buy them, much less go on eBay and pay the ridiculous prices being reported. If a benefit concert was being given by someone who had the same political beliefs as you, at $100 a pop, I think you would consider spending the dough. Regardless of whether you actually parted with it.
Not true at all. I give $25 to the RNC every 4 years, and that's it. I figure that about covers all of the bumper stickers, Christmas cards, and incessant mailings I receive around election time! ;-) I don't attend fund-raisers or benefit dinners, etc. I look too sexy in formal wear, I'm worried about my personal safety! :)

It's called a charity concert, but I guarantee you that Bruce is getting PAID, and that MAYBE $25 of each $100 is getting to the charity, if that much. Why not give the concert FREE and request donations at the door, without pressure? If they do anything other than that, it isn't a charity event, it is a money-making venture.

Reaction score
CPangracs said:
Not true at all. I give $25 to the RNC every 4 years, and that's it. I figure that about covers all of the bumper stickers, Christmas cards, and incessant mailings I receive around election time! ;-) I don't attend fund-raisers or benefit dinners, etc. I look too sexy in formal wear, I'm worried about my personal safety! :)

It's called a charity concert, but I guarantee you that Bruce is getting PAID, and that MAYBE $25 of each $100 is getting to the charity, if that much. Why not give the concert FREE and request donations at the door, without pressure? If they do anything other than that, it isn't a charity event, it is a money-making venture.
I'm pretty cynical when it comes to charity events. No charity event gives 100% to its cause. No argument about free service and asking about donations. There are always "expenses" which get sucked out of every dollar. The venue may require compensation, the staff. Bruce may be able to afford working for free, but I doubt all of his staff can. However, I try to avoid making judgements about whether or not the headliner or the headliner's staff are getting paid. There are some who do it gratis, others who insist on a cut. But, if it is a charitable event, it is therefore considered public money, and the books are therfore open to inspection by anyone.

Overseer

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Actually here's an interesting thing about his concerts.

In my economics book this semester, they mention a concert he did in good old Philadelphia. He charged $75 for the tickets, the average rock concert at the time was about $51. Seems like he charged a lot, well actually, he lowered the price from what they realized they could get to pass on savings to the fans.

Tickets were resold for on average, $280 each. Now, if you take that on as what could have been the market price, for how many tickets were sold, he passed on the savings of over $3 million to the actual fans that bought the tickets at $75.

Rabbi

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Politics aside, the guy is overrated and always has been. His voice grates on my last nerve and his music is really blah. I like maybe two songs he has ever done and I for sure would not pay more than a five dollar cover at a local bar to hear him play but that's just my opinion.

Oh and Jersey is a s*%thole. Especially Trenton.

Jon@lbc

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Rabbi said:
Politics aside, the guy is overrated and always has been. His voice grates on my last nerve and his music is really blah. I like maybe two songs he has ever done and I for sure would not pay more than a five dollar cover at a local bar to hear him play but that's just my opinion.

I live in New Jersey and it does suck. The state of stupid laws. It really makes me miss Swindon and Munich.

Patrocles

Reaction score
ha ha! you guys are just jealous of the boss! :laugh:

that price is below average for stars known worldwide...go check starting prices for Sting, Elton John, etc.
There was a report on the BBC and NPR about these so-called rock stars charging high prices for their tickets. Paul McCartney, Simon and Garfunkel, etc had the highest prices of ~$300 for prime seats! insane! Aren't these guys rich enough?? Of course the rock star PR firms blame the ticket vendors for the high cost and the ticket vendors blame the rock stars greediness for the high cost...go figure.
:(

Overseer

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Patrocles said:
ha ha! you guys are just jealous of the boss! :laugh:

that price is below average for stars known worldwide...go check starting prices for Sting, Elton John, etc.
There was a report on the BBC and NPR about these so-called rock stars charging high prices for their tickets. Paul McCartney, Simon and Garfunkel, etc had the highest prices of ~$300 for prime seats! insane! Aren't these guys rich enough?? Of course the rock star PR firms blame the ticket vendors for the high cost and the ticket vendors blame the rock stars greediness for the high cost...go figure.
:(
Yeah McCartney and Simon and Garfunkel charge ridiculous amounts. That's why I like Tom Petty, he charges basically enough to cover the costs of the show and no more. Heck, most of his album "The Last DJ" is railing on what music has become. :D

Overseer

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Rabbi said:

Oh come on, Trenton is paradise compared to Camden, which FINALLY overtook Detroit as most crime ridden city or whatever that study is about. I always thought it was never at number 1 because they didn't think any other city in the United States would be fair competition.

(I live not too far over the river from NJ in PA. I hate NJ).

Krink

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Rabbi said:

I couldn't agree more. Just remember though...there is no such thing as bad music, just bad taste.
:rolleyes:

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I'm not a Springsteen fan, but in his defense, he isn’t really a musician so much as he is a poet. I prefer ska music anyway I would pay $50 to hear Reel Big Fish, just as long as I got to pogo in the Mosh Pit.

mr_clark

Reaction score
Country
llGermany
Well, there is always the question of covering costs, even in charity.
Last year a famous german rock band held a concert where they really did only wanted to get the expenses back. Luckily they did not even had to rent a hall because the city of Berlin allowed them to use a oublic place for free, but nevertheless the tickets had to be sold for 10€ [roughly 15$], now imagine you need to pay for a concert hall additionall 10$ that is 25$ now let it be that some people everywhere want to make a little more profit from it (no neccessarily the artist] and you come up by 50$ you may spend on charity.

And then it's always the question what will happen with the money when it arrives at the charity organization... I mean it's a fact that after 'aid workers' entered Yugoslavia after the 1999 agression Toyota jump restarted production of the some 4by4 with auir condition to please all these helping people.