GMT counter trays quick impressions

FargoGamer

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
ordered a bundle of 10 of these on recommendation from an ASL friend. cost was $20 plus $7 p&p for slowest shipping option. trays arrived in scotland from US about 7 days later with no import fees.

for ASL storage these things are fantastic. they have 20 compartments each and snugly stack horizontally to minimise vertical height. each compartment is large enough to hold a complete set of FS and HSs for a specific unit quality. i was able to easily accommodate my entire german OOB in a single tray with space for all my punched Guns and Vehicles. other nationalities can be accommodated easily with loads of free compartments for vehicles if you want it that way. all my infantry i formation counters are now organised in a single tray. a massive improvement over the cumbrous plastic snap lid system i used before.

overall great purchase. i have 10 more on order to complete my collection.

mryder

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
admittedly i haven't used them during a live ASL session yet. what specific issues did you have with them?
I use those trays for my small games such as Blackbeard, Ambush, and Patton. I'll use them for sorting counters after being clipped. Otherwise I use Raaco and Plano 3701's. The problem I have with the trays is how light they are and how easy it is to not have the lid totally sealed so they can spill easily.

Madmat

Madmat
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I like the Plano 3701 and use these for my core module OOB however for the TPP (Critical Hit Genesis '48 and Bounding Fire counters) the GMT flat trays work nice.
Not as large as the Plano 3701. I also use the GMT trays for my travel kit (4L Staples container).

GMT trays lock really nice and with a little trimming fit into the 4 Liter clear plastic storage containers from Staples.View attachment 44128
View attachment 44129

Here's how the CH Genesis '48 counters in trays View attachment 44130
look like compared to a standard paperback novel for reference:

ZAJACMWZ

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I can see fitting the Starter Kit components into these trays, but not for an entire core and additional module set. I have Plano boxes with barely any space left in them for my German and Russian forces.

I do use these, but only for Third Party stuff that is rarely used (mostly CH) and non-ASL games. I like the fact that the lids lock in place.

Ken Hampel

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
I like these trays. They nest with each other and can be stored in the module boxes. I think you could get 4 or 5 of these in the BV box. I also think the amount of empty space in these trays is much lower than for other storage options. So your entire kit has a smaller footprint. Thumbs up!

takai

Reaction score
Country
llSwitzerland
I'm convinced that the GMT trays are the best option.

I just ordered a couple of white GMT game boxes so I can organize all my TPP in them. I'll have an All-American Box and a CoS Box with their cover art printed on the boxes and nice GMT trays for all the counters inside. You will be soooo jealous - especially if you compare them to the new boxed editions that CH is selling - Ha Ha Ha.

Delirium

ASL Fanatic
Reaction score
Country
llIreland
I also use counter trays, usually the chessex type which lock closed.

Perfect for my needs and I've taken them to several intertnational tournaments and never had a spillage, even when they've been checked in during flights.

Madmat

Madmat
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
- Takai

I didn't know you could still order blank "white" game boxes from GMT! What size are they?

-M

takai

Reaction score
Country
llSwitzerland
They're the same size as the other GMT game boxes. Letter, I guess. You can order 2" or 3" depth and only from nobleknight AFAIK.

Madmat

Madmat
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Excellent just ordered some white GMT boxes from GMT elves (shipping from Hanford,California).
FYI in case anyone is interested:

Cost for 2" Box = $ 6.00
3" box = $ 8.00

Also they don't appear on the website, you have to use the Chat or phone in the order for these items.

-M

footsteps

Just visiting
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Excellent just ordered some white GMT boxes from GMT elves (shipping from Hanford,California).
FYI in case anyone is interested:

Cost for 2" Box = $ 6.00
3" box = $ 8.00

Also they don't appear on the website, you have to use the Chat or phone in the order for these items.

-M
How many trays stack inside each box? What are the LxW dimensions for the boxes?

Madmat

Madmat
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
- Footsteps

Don't know, perhaps someone else can provide answer. I just ordered 5 (x2 2" and x3 3" depth) about 30 minutes ago :laugh:

-M

HansK

Reaction score
Country
llNetherlands
I'm using the GMT countertrays too.

I've put my ASLSK counters, sorted by nationality, in them and did the same with the core modules that I purchased. They snap shut quite good and I will keep using them in the future.

takai

Reaction score
Country
llSwitzerland
How many trays stack inside each box? What are the LxW dimensions for the boxes?
I just got my boxes. The 3" box takes excactly 5 trays with no room to spare. Alas the counter trays do not quite fit as they're about 3mm too wide. So I had to shave off a bit. Easy with the soft plastic, but hard to make it a straight cut.

Ray Woloszyn

"Fire and Movement"
Reaction score
First name
Ray
Country
llUnited States
I have used them for other games and find they're fine. Soon the weight of the heavier Plano plastic will soon begin to tell on my poor and aged body!