Gloster Hill 217: a warning after a botched playing

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
First my opponent insisted on turning off all the power in his house. It was around 50° Fahrenheit (10° C; 283.15° K) inside when we started playing. He said it would be more historically accurate. I drew the line when he suggested we play out in the foxholes he had dug in his flower beds.

I had the British, and although this was set in Korea, I surrendered Hong Kong and Singapore as well as the scenario on turn two. We went through the scenario card because, while I did not have the best of rolls, they weren't *that* bad. After several passes through the text, we found where we had messed up. The CPVA entry instructions say, "enter on/after Turn 1 along the north/east/west edge(s)." My opponent and I both missed that the entry instructions continue on the next line, "on/between A6 and P6."

Warning: don't miss that the CPVA entry instructions continue on a second line! Don't do it.

Also, dress warmly if your opponent is a historical accuracy buff.

JR

Last edited:

Justiciar

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Next time JRV and his OPFOR will be discussing how to read a paragraph. The hope is by year's end the will have mastered how to read a page and its footnotes. But like full-blown ASL this is a slow process. So we best just let them master the
sentence....shhh don't tell them about that James Joyce novel, you know the one...Don't do it.

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
That is what we love about the gamesquad forums: no matter how deeply you hurt, there will always be someone there to mock you. Thanks!

JR

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
That is what we love about the gamesquad forums: no matter how deeply you hurt, there will always be someone there to mock you. Thanks!

JR
Now we know how George Washington, Douglas MacArthur, Julius Caesar, and Tim Blaney could possibly have felt in your position.

von Marwitz

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
They misread the entry areas for the CVPA too?

JR
George Washington and Tim Blaney would probably have had trouble figuring out what CVPA could mean. Julius Caesar would likely have had trouble understanding the entry instructions, talking only Latin. Douglas MacArthur would probably have ignored them, nuking the place instead, had he had his way.

von Marwitz

Last edited:

JR Brackin

Cardboard Challanged
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
all right I am temporarily online - we still have no power and the near likelihood is that the power company is going to use another storm as an excuse not get us back running.

My excuse is that my brain was just a little chilled since we did not get the generator going and with getting a little older the cold effects me more than ever. However I am not sure why JR foresighted hexes in my illegal entry areas.

We are hoping to be back online tomorrow - however I am having doubts.

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
I am not sure why JR foresighted hexes in my illegal entry areas.
We both missed the additional bit of the sentence. If only one of us had missed it, I would put it down to user error. Since both of us missed it I think it may be something that is easy to do, and so this warning. I can't say it is an error per se on the scenario card, but it would be regrettable if the scenario was misplayed a lot because of an awkwardness in the layout.

JR

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
I can't find Foresighting in the RB. Is that in Chapter E?
The rules for foresighting are not yet available in a module that hasn't been released. In fact MMP is stymied because they don't see a way to release a module with rules on foresighting without creating a paradox. They may never be able to release it. In hindsight, perhaps the effort spent on developing those rules was wasted. MMP may have had the wrong people working on the rules because, really, they should have seen that coming. Players with foresight will still be able to use the rules in the meantime, of course.

JR

Last edited:

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
The rules for foresighting are not yet available in a module that hasn't been released. In fact MMP is stymied because they don't see a way to release a module with rules on foresighting without creating a paradox. They may never be able to release it. In hindsight, perhaps the effort spent on developing those rules was wasted. MMP may have had the wrong people working on the rules because, really, they should have seen that coming. Players with foresight will still be able to use the rules in the meantime, of course.

JR
Recently, I played some PTO scenario with lots of goresighting. So much H-t-H Melee by the Japanese, it was not pretty.

von Marwitz