Global ASL Ladder Challenges & Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

PabloGS

Reaction score
Country
llChile
Robert Devereux US attackers surrendered to my Japanese defenders in J64 American Tragedy. Too bad real life interfered and prevented us from finishing it. We did get to learn caves though!

Houlie

CEO of HoulieDice (TM)
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
After a long time away from the ladder and limited ASL play this year, Vic Rosso and I will lock horns in AP57 Kleckerweise. I have the defending Germans and Vic the attacking French. Vic and I always have great games and I look forward to our game.

Scott Hasson

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I'm not sure what ever happened to the flow of emails but Scott Hasson's Germans concedes to Pierce Mason's Russians in AP93 Best Think Again.

Scott Hasson

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I'm not sure what ever happened to the flow of emails but Scott Hasson's Germans concedes to Jason Wert's Russians in J54 Showtime.

sunoftzu

Reaction score
Country
llTaiwan
Finished off BFP-033 "Kunlunguan" (vs Mark Humphries), which ended when an 81 mortar round got a CH, which destroyed the pillbox in BB5 (and its contents). My Japanese had taken heavy casualties (as had the Chinese), but as long as the pillbox survived, I always felt that I had a chance to get through 7.5 turns. Once the pillbox was gone, the writing was on the wall.......

Our next scenario will be BFP-046 "The Shan Capital", with Mark as the defending Chinese, myself as the attacking Thais.

sunoftzu

Reaction score
Country
llTaiwan
Mark and I also finished off BFP-046 "The Shan Capital", which features KMT Chinese defending vs a Thai (Axis Minor) attack. Been wanting to play this one for a while !!!

8 turns looks to be a long time for the KMT to hold out vs 16 elite squads, but I think the equalizer must be the SWs, especially the HMGs. A ROF tear can quickly tear an organized looking Thai attack into shreds....

..... which it eventually did, but a bit too late. By the end of turn 4, the KMT had lost about half its force, and nearly all of its heavy weapons, and Mark decided that he would not be able to hold out the final 4 full turns. I agree that it did look a bit too much for the KMT remnants and accepted his surrender.

Our next 2 games will feature Air Support (which Mark want's to get more familiar with), so next on the list is BFP-035 "Mai Phu", with myself playing the defending French, Mark with the attacking Japanese. This game will be followed by BFP-042 "Bukit Full Of Trouble", with myself playing the defending (Australian) British, Mark with the attacking Japanese. I have played this scenario before (as Japanese), so Japanese balance will be in effect for Mark's Japanese.......

John.

sunoftzu

Reaction score
Country
llTaiwan
Jack and I finished our game of ITR-007 "Rebounded Spirit".

It was a good scenario, my Rumanians worked their way forward into assault positions, and Jack point-defending the VC factory with a few pickets to slow down the bright green hordes. Once the factory assault began, the Hungarian morale was anything but fanatic, and by the end of Rumanian turn 5, there was only a leader left in the VC factory.

Finally a bit of luck goes Jack's way; one of his squads goes Berzerk in the RPh, and they , along with some well placed smoke allow the Hungarians to re-infiltrate the building, and by the end of their turn, there are 2 Hungarian squads, a SPG, and a '-1' leader back in the factory, The Hungarians aren't ready to call it quits just yet.

But In my turn 6, Jack malfunctions both SPG MA's, and all his infantry succumb in the CCPh, leaving me in sole possession of the Factory. No way he can capture it back, so its victory to my Rumanians.

ITR-007-Hun-06-RPh-gif.gif

Our next game will be the final game in the ITR series, ITR-008 "Beyond The Slaughterhouse". Sides are yet to be determined, Jack gets the balance.

John.

Vrosso

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
After a long time away from the ladder and limited ASL play this year, Vic Rosso and I will lock horns in AP57 Kleckerweise. I have the defending Germans and Vic the attacking French. Vic and I always have great games and I look forward to our game.
challenge accepted

sunoftzu

Reaction score
Country
llTaiwan
Mark and I finished our game of BFP-035 "Mai Phu" a few weeks back.

My defense featured a lot of deploying, as I sought to buy time to hold the 1 building that would deny the Japanese VCs. Initially, the Japanese enjoyed the upper hand, as I quickly lost 3 squad-equivalents in the first 2 turns. But then my MGs and IG were able to destroy 4 Japanese tanks over the next couple of turns, and this slowed the Japanese infantry enough to turn p2 into a fortress, surrounded with moats of MMCs. Mark saw the writing on the wall and conceded after an uninspiring Japanese turn 5 Rally Phase. We are currently 2 turns through BFP-042 "Bukit Full Of Trouble".

BFP-035-IJA-05-RPh-gif.gif

John.

RZasl

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Accepted! We'll be using IIFT and playing (mostly) by PBeM.

Looking forward to playing Bob again.
In a wild back and forth match my Partisans defeated Steve's Germans in FT30 - Death is Their Trade. In the end it required that my Partisans survive two separate CCPh attacks in the final player turn, remaining in Melee to secure the slimmest of victories. It was a hard fought victory against a skilled opponent. I'm still not sure how I pulled out the win. I'm looking forward to playing Steve again.:cool:

Vrosso

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
For the record, my french forces held off houlie's counterattack by their fingernails, this thing went 9 swirling turns and came down to two cc rolls in the last phase. One of my gun crews was ambushed at 2-1 odds and survived the attack to close out the game (the 9-2 also had to destroy a tank in cc with the help of a HS).

sunoftzu

Reaction score
Country
llTaiwan
Finished off BFP-042 last Tuesday. It's been a tight game so far, and in my final turn, I just needed to 'block' (make virtually impossible for opponent to physically enter) one of the VC buildings. Was able to place a number of half squads in key positions to effect this. A wounded leader even advanced into CC with a Japanese 448 squad .....and survived to tie it up an MELEE (and more importantly - create a hex that cannot be traversed). These are the things you do as a defender to close out a victory in the last turn.

Mark tried to clear a path in the Prep Fire Phase (PFPh), but when that didn't provide enough opportunity, his Japanese called it a day, giving victory to my tough, battered, and bruised Australians. A good scenario from start to finish !!!

BFP-042-IJA-08-PFPh-jpeg.jpg

mgmasl

Reaction score
First name
Miguel
Country
llSpain
As a side comment, even in melee, a SMC may be overrunned and Japs are specially good troops for overrunning SMCs.

Last edited:

ecz

Partisan Captain
Reaction score
Country
llItaly
Last update seems to be May 2016, I am interested myself...
Mark never appeared here in GS in 2017, probably real life prevents him to update the ladder and partecipate to our discussions.
He also quitted his partecipation to VASLeague 2017. I hope he's ok and he will return here soon

ecz

Partisan Captain
Reaction score
Country
llItaly
I would find someone to play J12 Jungle Fighters as Japanese (me playing the British side), VASL live only*, Skype is welcome but not mandatory.
I would make a AAR of the scenario.

* due to the nature of the scenario actually British Turn one could be played via email since no Japanese unit is onboard and no DR/dr is necessary.

Big Noodle

Yooper Lunatic
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I am returning to the ladder after a long layoff as well. (Assuming the ladder is still a going concern which appears to be in Question. Are the standings being updated or is it just the website that's out of service?)
I will take the Japanese in J12 if you wish!

Status
Not open for further replies.