Glanz's Stalingrad Trilogy and new ASL ideas

Cdn HIPster

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Hi guys,

I just received 2 of the 3 Stalingrad Trilogy books by David Glanz. I'm just into the first book, reading about the summer campaigns that preceded Stalingrad (Blau 1 and 2 right now). The books offer exceptionally fine detail of the strategic campaigns but they are not an easy read. 'Stop and Go' is the order of the day....

It's been interesting reading about the punch, counter-punch and pincer actions (on both sides) around Voronezh in the summer of 1942. Surely there's a few good scenarios here, if not a campaign game (I know, we already have lots of Eastern Front CGs).

The more I read, the more it's apparent that a few good green open boards would be a welcome addition to ASL, in order to represent the steppe country. The brown desert boards just don't do it at all for me. Throw in a gully or two, or a small village or huts and you've got perhaps something that is 'bang-on' for representing the steppes. Also, a river board in steppe country would be useful.

I realize this is not a new suggestion, but perhaps it is time it was revisited.

I for one sometimes dream of making new boards but I haven't got all the technical tricks down to feel confident in producing one.

What say you?

Clayton

Last edited:

Honza

The Art Of Wargames
Reaction score
First name
Jan
Country
llCzechia
Dien Bien Phu, about the French Foreign Legion in Indochina.

Cdn HIPster

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Yes, those maps would do the trick. A more washed out green à la board 4 would be more pleasant to look at though. Oh well, picky I guess!