Ghost Recon Online

Scott Tortorice

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
This game already has two strikes against it: Ubisoft, and a third person perspective. But given it is F2P, the Ubisoft angle doesn't bother me that much since I don't have to give them my money unless I want to. And the combat looks really interesting:

[video=youtube;02ULPiyRCHI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=02ULPiyRCHI[/video]

I am curious to see how this turns out. Regardless, I have to say that I am really enjoying these cyberpunk/near future warfare games. So much more interesting than yet another WWII setting or some sort of generic modern setting.

Scott Tortorice

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Interesting preview here:

http://www.pcgamer.com/previews/ghost-recon-online-preview/

It seems this game was slated to go into beta by last summer, but only made it this March. I wonder what sort of development problems they encountered.

I hope this philosophy hasn't changed:

GRO is the evolution of free-to-play. Players can use real world cash to accelerate unlocks, but will always be restricted by their experience level, which can only be gained by playing online. Theo explains his influences: “I feel respected by the developer when I play League of Legends. I don’t feel like there’s a thousand tricks trying to con me out of my money.”
I have to say that one of the reasons why I am really enjoying Blacklight is because the game is very generous when it comes to handing out money. Really, the only reason I would buy something in Blacklight with real money is out of convenience and not necessity.

Last, dev vid:

[video=youtube;-v8K7XdVWfQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-v8K7XdVWfQ[/video]

Scott Tortorice

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Looks like the game is going to go either open beta or live next week according to this picture posted on the official FB feed:

View attachment 37069

Can't wait! I think GRO is going to be quite popular, especially seeing how it offers an alternative to the screwed up console port that Ubi released for Future Soldier.

Redwolf

Member # 3665
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

Scott Tortorice

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I am so sick of this DRM nonsense. It is often the case of the "cure" being worse than the disease. Fortunately, with the possible exception of GRO, I am not a fan of Ubisoft games (the last two I purchased was Chessmaster GM and Silent Hunter Pacific, which was years before Ubi went totally off the DRM deep end). Their current line-up, with the possible exception of 2013's Watch_Dogs, just doesn't interest me at all. Well, Ghost Recon Future Soldier did...until it became apparent that it was an awful console port.

Redwolf

Member # 3665
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The best part is that only the paying customers run this crap that opens up their computer.

The pirates get it with DRM removed.

Scott Tortorice

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I love rediscovering a forgotten game. :)

Forgot all about this game while it worked its way through closed beta into an open one. I greatly enjoyed my time as part of the invite-only beta, so I was eager to see what changes have been made since then. With that in mind, I re-installed the game the other and had as much fun as I did the first time I played it. GRO is a great tactical shooter that everyone should try, especially those who are always clamoring for a "tactical shooter". It doesn't get more tactical than this game! To prove this point, I made a vid showing off some of the action/ This vid features all three classes: assault, sniper and support. It also shows off three (or four?) of the maps, some of which have been newly added since leaving closed beta (the sub pen and the "city of the future"):

[video=youtube_share;9splBkblk-Q]http://youtu.be/9splBkblk-Q[/video]

A lot of fun!

As you can see, that game can be quite the white knuckle experience. However, it is most definitely not a "twitch" experience. Teamwork, combined with solid tactics, wins the day.

So what's not to like?

Two things:

1) It can take an inordinately long time - 2 to 5 minutes - to get in a game. I don't think this is due to a lack of server population as much as a lackluster "quick match" automated system (I had the same problem with Hawken until they incorporated a server browser). This game also desperately needs a server browser.

2) Matchmaking needs to be more precise with the different levels of skill. As it is right now, new players are restricted to a beginners pool for the first five levels of any class, but once you hit that, you are dumped into a mosh pit of players with widely varying skill levels. One session you might enjoy a really tense and well-balance match, while the next you will be me mercilessly curb stomped into oblivion by the opposing team. This definitely needs work. :)

Despite these minor flaws, the great nature of the game continues to shine through!