Gettysburg Triology

JDS8072

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Anybody heaard when the last part of the Gettysburg triology is gonna come out. I have God And Generals and Gettysburg. Im waiting for the last one to come out. I believe it will be called The Last Full Measure or something to that effect.

Tom DeFranco

Reaction score
Sorry Jeremy. From what Jeff Shaara said on CSPAN2 last year when on a live interview, Turner will not be doing The Last Full Measure. That is based on the poor showing that Gods And Generals had at the theaters last year. Frankly, I didn't think that it was as good as the book. Too much Stonewall and not enough of the other three main characters (Lee, Chamberlain or Hancock) for my liking. I think Bud Robertson's trip to be on site during filming influenced Ron Maxwell too much.

The most we could hope for is a six hour version of Gods And Generals which was supposed to be released this summer on DVD. I've noticed Turner hasn't even played 'G and G' on TNT this summer, allowingit to air on HBO instead.

Tom DeFranco

Reaction score
Originally posted by Peachy Carnehan
Hmm...This is bad news. I didn't much like the last one, but was still looking forward to it.
Peachy, do you mean that you didn't like The Last Full Measure as a book. Or, do you mean that you didn't like G and G?

Tom DeFranco

Reaction score
Originally posted by Janos
I enjoyed both of the previous ones, but would have loved to see #3, with the really ferocious battles of 1864-5, men like Gordon rising to the fore, etc.
Jeff, actually Grant, Lee and Chamberlain were supposed to be the three main protagonists in the third one, with Grant getting the lion's share of the attention. So said Jeff Shaara in the aforementioned interview in the post above. I don't know how much attention was paid to J. B. Gordon.

Janos

Reaction score
Combat Military Training Center, Hohenfels, Bavari
Country
llUnited States
Originally posted by Tom DeFranco
Jeff, actually Grant, Lee and Chamberlain were supposed to be the three main protagonists in the third one, with Grant getting the lion's share of the attention. So said Jeff Shaara in the aforementioned interview in the post above. I don't know how much attention was paid to J. B. Gordon.
That's why God invented the "fast forward" button.;)

Tom DeFranco

Reaction score
Originally posted by Janos
That's why God invented the "fast forward" button.;)
You'd probably fast forward through the whole third movie then, because, according to Jeff Shaara, Grant was the one in line to have the attention heaped upon him as Jackson did in G and G, and Chamberlain in Gettysburg. Let's face it, if it teachs people better than the history books all of the books' main protagonists are worthy of top mention. :toast:

Janos

Reaction score
Combat Military Training Center, Hohenfels, Bavari
Country
llUnited States
As some of you may be aware, there is a movie called The Last Full Measure -- I looked on the internet for one based on the Shaara book and found it. I forget what it was about, but it wasn't Lee, Grant, and co.

The post-Gettysburg "era" is my favorite part of the war. It's where the South was really called on to give it's best as Grant, Sherman, and Sheridan bore down hard on us. Such men as J B Gordon, Fitzhugh Lee, Cleburne, J S Mosby and others came to the fore and proved they could carry the load as Jackson, Stuart, Ashby and others had before them. On the Northern side, you see better generalship, too -- the three names above, for example, as well as many others. Grant's Overland campaign, Petersburg, and the race to Appomattox changed how units (on both sides) saw themselves and made them dig a little deeper to determine why they were there and get real pride in themselves. It changed the US military and changed war.

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Peachy, do you mean that you didn't like The Last Full Measure as a book. Or, do you mean that you didn't like G and G?
I didn't much like the previous movie (G&G), but was still looking forward to the next one. (The Last Full Measure, I assume it would be titled?)

Tom DeFranco

Reaction score
Originally posted by Peachy Carnehan
I didn't much like the previous movie (G&G), but was still looking forward to the next one. (The Last Full Measure, I assume it would be titled?)
Yeah, unfortunately, unless Ted runs into a big windfall and someone reminds him that he enjoys studying the ACW, I don't think we'll see The Last Full Measure. Or Maybe some other Hollywood type will take it off Ted's hands.

One other flaw I found in G and G, if you don't know any better, at the end, you'd think the Confederates were winning the War at the end, despite Jackson's death.

GeorgiaDixie

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Yeah, unfortunately, unless Ted runs into a big windfall and someone reminds him that he enjoys studying the ACW, I don't think we'll see The Last Full Measure. Or Maybe some other Hollywood type will take it off Ted's hands.

One other flaw I found in G and G, if you don't know any better, at the end, you'd think the Confederates were winning the War at the end, despite Jackson's death.
Well, at the time Jackson died, the South was definentely on the upside of the war. That is one of the aspects I do like about this movie! :D

Tom DeFranco

Reaction score
Originally posted by GeorgiaDixie
Well, at the time Jackson died, the South was definentely on the upside of the war. That is one of the aspects I do like about this movie! :D
Not if you check out what was happening in the West, though. Vicksburg had about another fifty days in Confederate hands. The Federals were winning most of the Western 1862 battles and New Orleans, Memphis, and Nashville were in Union hands. Out East Lee did well to keep the Federals in check, but the die was cast already in the West.