Gettysburg Elliot Map

Compass Rose

Reaction score
Gettysburg Elliott Map

Does anyone know where I can locate a good close up view of The Elliott Map from Gettysburg? The only maps I have been able to locate, the map size has been too small to read the map and view all of the detail.

Thanks

Last edited:

Compass Rose

Reaction score
Thanks Hannibal.

Yes, I'm not interested in buy one, I'd just like to be able to see close enough so I can read the printing on the map.

I was hopeful with the download link however, I can't open it with anything I have, including Paint.net.

trauth116

Webmaster: hist-sdc.com
Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
CM: Have a look at this page as well http://memory.loc.gov/ammem/help/view.html in the case of the above map you want to go to the section on jpeg2000 (it is near the bottom) -which I think that map is. I think I use Irfanview (with plug-ins) as it is an open source program ( it takes some getting used to -- or that might be the MrSid one the pages also mentions -- the controls work entirely opposite of what else I have been using :) ....

Compass Rose

Reaction score
Hey Trauth,

Thanks for the Irfanview idea; it works great!!!

I had just finished watching a program on Pickett's Charge, and one of the historians was using that map. Up until then, I had never heard of it before.

Thanks Again :hail:

trauth116

Webmaster: hist-sdc.com
Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Source work access is my specialty :) Actually you can resize the image and move around on the Library of Congress site- but it is kind of a pain (least for me) ... I just download ones as needed. If you really get into it (on that site) you'll want the MrSid viewer as well -as LoC uses both formats.

And then if you don't have a life (like sometimes I don't :D ) you take screen shots, save them as something you can use then stitch them all together into one big image file and then print it (and if you really don't have a life- and have access to some dollar store cellophane tape ... you print out the panels and then tape them all together).