Gettysburg Campaign

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The first day's fighting is over as Union cavalry has battles it's way through the mountain passes to try and discern what the Confederate army is up to. In the south Union cavalry managed force the Thoroughfare Gap all the way to Georgetown but then Reb cavalry reinforcements showed uop and savaged part of Buford's division capturing thirteen guns in the process. Further north my Union troopers have managed to push through Hopewell Gap as far as Hopewell itself. We also have troops astride the Snicker's Gap Turnpike on the west side of the ridge. North of the Snickers Gap Turnpike the Rebs tried to meet my flanking force and were savaged for their efforts. So far we have inflicted more punishment then recieved despite the loss of the guns. We have captured Brigadier General Robertson and have found the body of Fitzhugh Lee, which will be returned to the Rebs under a flag of truce. Brigadier Robertson will get to enjoy our hospitality for a little longer. We are pushing scouts out in the dark to try and discern the Rebel stopping point while we await the arrival of the infantry, as I expect we shall find Rebel infantry in the morning.

This is a campaign game between Scott Kershner's Rebs and my Union troops. We skipped the Brandy Station fighting and went on to the next selection point. Shaping up to be a good battle and campaign. Look for further reports as we move into the second days fighting and beyond.

arckon

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Hey RangerBooBoo, do you know which map you are playing? As I just loaded map to get better idea of how the battle is unfolding for you guys.

I think I may have loaded a map further into the campaign than you guys are playing. I loaded map for June 15th Crisis in the Valley from campaign screen.

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
We are playing the Aldie, June 17 (var. 60) scenario. Just pop open that scenario and you can see the map and the forces.

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Well a quick update. It is now 1am and I've been pushing my cavalry down the roads trying to see how far I can get before running into the Reb cavalry. Got spanked for my efforts down south as we ran into some Reb cavalry, or I should say a lot of Reb cavalry, in line and waiting for my boys. Those fella's sure could shoot good in the dark. Did manage to catch one bunch retreating down the road and had us a little nighttime melee that pushed him along a little further. I'll give a better update once daylight hits and I can see more of what I'm up against, which I'm sure will include some Reb infantry by then. I'm sure they'll send some to keep me from sticking my nose too far over those mountains and finding out what they are up too.

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The sun is finally peeking over the horizon. Down south the Reb cavalry seems determined to make a fight of it and gunfire is exchanged. My scouts probe down the Turner Gap pike and have to hightail it when they run into Reb infantry. Not a good sign this early in the morning. All eyes and ears are turned eastward to look and listen for the arrival of Union infantry.

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
A portion of my cavalry digs in along the Ashby Gap Turnpike near the Rogers farm keeping an eye on the Reb infantry near Middleburg. So far they haven't shown an inclination to advance but are content to trade artillery fire. Reb infantry is also probing the north crossing of Goose Creek where I've got a cavalry unit in dire straits. Further south near White Plains I've turned the tables and am about to destroy one of his wayward units but otherwise the Reb controls the town and I've been content to sit back and observe. Scouts have seen more cavalry headed south though so I'm sure this sector will heat up shortly. Also got another wayward Reb cav. unit trapped in my rear area and will dispatch it shortly. Meanwhile couriers have been sent back urging the infantry to get the lead out and relieve my horsey guys.

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Ouch! Just finished another turn and the Rebs have given my cavalry NE of White Plain a nasty spanking and captured 6 more guns. Time to make a hurried strategic withdrawal....for those that can anyway.

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I've managed to break contact with his infantry in the center but having a little more difficulty in the north where I've got one unit that refuses to reorder and it is almost impossible for disrupted cavalry to get away if your opponent is aggressive. As a side note I do believe that disordered or not a bunch of guys with horses should be able to mount up and get away from guys that don't have horses. Wish HPS would look at this. Anyway my cavalry is retreating to a new defensive line at a point where I hope my infantry will arrive before his catches up to me. One lesson that you have to learn in HPS Gettysburg is that your cavalry can make a Buford like stand but the points for lost cavalry are so high that it is rarely worth the effort.

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Well I was forced to sacrifice a dismounted cavalry unit that disrupted in front of the Reb infantry which doomed it. I've retreated east towards my soon to arrive (I hope) infantry and taken up position on a ridge with good LOS for my artillery and awaiting rescue. Meanwhile in the south I'm setting up expecting Reb cavalry probes but so far my opponent seems to be cautious in this regard.

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Well the Battle of Aldie has come to an end. Union infantry came up in support and rescued the cavalry in the north and managed to chew up some more Reb cavalry in the south. In the end we settled on a draw when it appeared that there would be nothing more to gain. The Rebels lost more cavalry troopers but the Union lost more guns. I'm hoping the loss of horse will hurt the Rebel scouting in future battles. I'll report on the next battle in a thread called Gettysburg II as soon as we get going.