Gettysburg Campaign IV

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Well ask and you shall receive. The Rebels swatted my nose with the newspaper this last turn. I didn't think he would risk stepping out but he marched out and spanked the force I had harassing his right flank and took a couple of gun sections. Going to have to watch myself and keep from sticking my nose out to far. Meanwhile the Union turns are kind of boring as we march the Artillery Reserve to the front along with our last fresh Infantry Corps. Meanwhile we continue moving an entire cavalry division out beyond his left flank. I do believe that he got an inkling of what is coming as I ran into a small cavalry patrol this turn. They won't get away but the word is out. I'll have to see how he responds.

arckon

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
For the record RangerBooBoo, still following this with great interest, I think yahzooo, whenever I see there is a new post here to read.

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Thanks for the feedback guys. Don't worry, I'll be posting updates as long as this campaign goes on.

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Well I'm filled with despair after watching that last replay. The rest of the Rebel cavalry arrived on the scene and isolated and destroyed over 500 cavalrymen that I had foolishly left exposed in my cockiness that there wasn't any Rebs out there. Well that is going to make my job of turning this game around pretty tough. I'm going to have to lower my goals and shoot for a minor loss now. Going to take some time to get my last fresh Corps to the front and reorganize the rest. Should have the guys on the scene squared away in a few more turns where I can begin the artillery duel which I'm thinking my artillery will have the advantage.

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Well I imagine this to be a somewhat boring section of the AAR to read as most of my time now is spent getting my artillery into positions to rake his positions and my infantry in place to support those guns. I've got to get my guns in good, fairly close firing positions while protecting them from Rebel counterattacks. The guns I have in place did fair work this turn and there will be even more in place next turn with the rest of the AoP artillery reserve being emplaced in about 7 or 8 more turns. As long as he seems to be unwilling to take too much artillery fire I think we can drive him from Gettysburg itself without too much trouble. It is going to be what comes after that is going to be troublesome. I have managed to get a few guns in place that get enfilade fire on some of his positions so I expect to see a repositioning of Rebel lines again next turn.

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I believe we are on turn 74. I'll try to remember to post a screenshot of the victory conditions next time.

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Well more guns are getting into position each turn now so hopefully the damage to Confederate infantry will continue to mount. I've included a screenshot of the victory level as I finished up turn 80 out of 158. As you can see I've got a little over 2500 points to regain to get this off a major defeat but I think it can be done. There is a 1000 point VP hex sitting in Gettysburg itself and I think I'll end up with that before it is done. I've no doubt that this one will go the full distance as there is a lot of fighting left to do.

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Yes, the cavalry losses are the biggest reason the score is what it is. Didn't see where I had much choice though as they were the only troops I had to delay his advance.

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Not much to report this turn as I we are letting the artillery do it's work and moving up my last infantry corps. Reb counterbattery fire did get a couple more guns though and each point hurts at this stage. My guns are doing a good job though as I'm concentrating on his infantry as that is where the hits are most likely and the guns can't defend themselves if the foot soldiers are out of the way. Kilpatrick's cavalry division began to show up this turn and we shall move them up to make a big sweep of the right flank and prepare the way for my last fresh infantry Corps.

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The Rebel infantry has decided they didn't like the looks of all the guns being arrayed against them and pulled back from the edge of the city of itself. You can see the situation around Gettysburg itself in the included screenshot. Not much else to report as we continue to position ourselves for later turns.

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Well not much action to report unless you consider the sound of troops marching or riding to be exciting. We did run into Fitzhugh Lee as we probed the Rebs left flank where he is protecting a creek crossing. We've brought up the better part of a brigade and two gun sections so I expect we'll own the crossing when I get the file back. I've included a screen shot of the entire battlefield and outlined my plan for everyone to see what I'm trying to accomplish (no peeking Scott!). I hope everyone can appreciate that there is some hard marching to do yet before the action picks up and doesn't get too bored with the narrative until then.

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Well a rarity, a two update day. Ol' Fitz decided to keep his position holding that creek crossing so we are digging in for a fight and sending flankers around. Looks like I might be stymied until Kilpatrick arrives with more numbers. Meanwhile Union artillery exacted some revenge and destroyed 3 Rebel guns which helped the score somewhat.

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Still slogging away on this battle as my last uncommitted Corps marches it's way to the Rebels left flank. Not much else to report except that my guns did some good work this turn destroying 3 Rebel guns. Also, my cavalry is working on clearing Rebel cavalry from the area that my flank march will be using. Finally got the VP total down below 8000 so something to feel better about.

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Well this battle continues to drag on as as we continue to exchange losses. He is pushing my extreme left again but that is not a big issue as I can retreat with no problems and it means there are troops there rather then where my main blow will fall.....if that infantry Corps will ever get there. What I wouldn't give for a Harry Turtledove moment and have a couple of hundred trucks on hand. He is getting a little more bold with his cavalry and I think in another turn or two he'll be regretting that.

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Turn rate has slowed way down but we are still battling it out. I'll give an update with the next turn I receive.