Gettysburg Campaign IV

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
11pm and action still continues on the field. Rebel troops have deployed along the Emmittsburg Pike denying that route as access to Gettysburg. The remainder of Third Corps will have to deploy there to keep them honest. However with several more Union Corps on the way knowing where the Longstreet's Corps is gives me some options depending on which way they move from their current location. Finally pulled back somewhat near Culp's Hill but still have some regiments in contact so the bloodletting isn't done there either.

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
A few quiet hours have passed with no firing but plenty of marching and digging on the Union side. Reinforcements are having to come a long way across this huge map and they won't arrive until full daylight is upon the field. Just hope they don't have a disasterous view awaiting them. Dawn is next turn and I suppose with it will come renewed fighting.

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Well the sun is peeking over the horizon and the rifles are warming up. Not much to see of the Rebs except for around Culps Hill and over in front of Little Round Top. Pulled back a hex row around Culps Hill to force the Rebs to come out in the open to push any attack. I've included a screenshot of the jump map so you can get a general picture of my situation. The yellow dot in the top of the triangle formed by my line is Cemetery Hill.

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Finally daylight arrives. It looks like Hill's Corps has pulled back into the town and along Seminary Ridge. However Ewell's Corps continues to hold Culps Hill and is still exchanging fire with Slocum's Twelfth Corps. Longstreets Corps, at least what is here and I can see of it, have begun to advance on the Round Tops. I'm still rushing troops to the front as fast as I can. I've included a screenshot of the jump map showing where everyone is as of 5am so no peeking Scott! :)

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Confederates are really putting the pressure on now. The leading elements of Longstreet's First Corps are going to be able to walk over Big Round Top in their turn. Hancock is racing to face them off and should see combat in my next turn. I should get a small advantage if he pushes too far as he won't be able to get his artillery through the woods and I'll have plenty of clear ground to fire my artillery. Most of the Army of the Potomac artillery reserve is headed this way also so we can set up a grand battery and smash them if they stick their noses out too far. Ewell's Corps is pushing further out to my right and the tired troopers of Eleventh Corps hit the road to push my line out further in that direction. Looks like Hill Corps is going to be content to sit in Gettysburg or beyond resting. Plans are afoot to turn the tide here but it is going to take some time. Scouts report that both Confederate flanks are "in the air". Sedgwick's Sixth Corps arrives next turn and a decision will have to be made as to which direction those lads go.

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Relatively benign turn as they go in this battle. I'm hoping that the Confederates have reached the point where theyve taken about as much ground as they can hold with the forces they've got. I've got more troops arriving in another couple of turns and then about an hour and a half they will really start pouring on the field. Are infantry losses are about even so I'm hoping in the end to outnumber him and stretch him past the breaking point.

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Rebel forces continue to push forward on my left along the lower slopes of the Round Tops. Second Corps has arrived just in time and is deploying to contest this move. Thank Goodness Hancock commands a large and well trained Corps. It appears the Rebs are digging in on my right in anticipation of a counterattack from me their. I have observed more Rebel forces sliding from the center to my left though I don't know if this is just the rest of Longstreet's Corps moving into position or if he is reinforcing with some of Hill's Corps. The lead divisions of Fifth Corps are about in position. The rest of the Corps will arrive next turn and will race to join their comrades. Sixth Corps arrives at 8am and will move into position along good roads to join with Fifth Corps. More Third Corps troops are racing to join the remnants of that command and there is still a brigade to release. Looks like things are falling into place...as long as Hancock's Second Corps holds...for me to sieze the iniative later in the morning. I've included a screen shot of my left flank.

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
You know I didn't even check as I was so frantic to get them to the front. I'll check next turn and let you know.

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Well the Rebs are switching pressure points from one place to another. Now they have backed off around the Round Tops are putting pressure on the lower end of Cemetery Ridge. I think I'll be okay by shifting some of Hancock's troops over to help. The rest of Fifth Corps has arrived and are on the march to join the rest of the unit. Ol' Uncle John Sedgwick will be coming on shortly and will be used to further my plan for a counterattack.

I checked and we started this battle before the Gettysburg patch came out so I didn't suffer any night march fatigue.

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Well 7:00am has come and gone and the Union situation looks bleak. The Rebs have concentrated just to the north of the Round Tops and are trying to outflank Cemetery Hill. Second Corps is rushing troops to the area but it is going to be a tight race. It is tempting to launch Fifth Corps attack now to relieve the pressure but I'm resisting as I want the Rebs fully committed and fatigued as much as possible when the time comes. Also want to get Sixth Corps in place to assist this attack. The question is quickly becoming will it be too little too late. Attached a screenshot of the current victory information.

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Another turn done and the Confederates continue to put pressure on Cemetery Ridge. The troops I can see on the Round Tops are digging in and I've spotted more troops headed to the fight at the ridge with the forces there turning to put pressure on the ridge in an attempt to get behind my troops on Cemetery Hill. This is going to be a near run thing as more of Hancock's boys are rushing to reinforce the sector along with the tired reserves of Reynolds First Corps. Meanwhile my other reinforcements are moving into position. Just completed the 7:20 am turn and at 8am I start getting reinforcements every turn for the next two hours. Hopefully I can hold long enough to get them in position to implement my plans rather then have to launch a rescue attempt. Lots of time left in this one but I've got to worry about possibly losing too much of the army and not having enough left for the next fight.

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Well I've just completed the 8am July 2 turn. Reb cavalry has discovered Fifth Corps on their right flank and I can see troops forming up and marching in that direction. I was really hoping that they would remain undiscovered for a lot longer but such is the vagaries of war. They will deploy and prepare to meet the oncoming Rebs, advancing as much as possible without risking being flanked. First, Eleventh, Twelfth Corps continue to hold the line from in front of Culps Hill to Cemetery Hill and and down to the Clump of Trees. From there a depleted Third Corps mans the line to the pike below the Round Tops and then Second Corps fills the line. Part of Second Corps is rushing to bolster Third Corps as the Rebs continue to put pressure on the ridge and things are getting dicey there. Second Corps and Army Reserve artillery are deploying to pound the Rebs occupying the Round Tops since I don't have the infantry to drive them away. Sedgwick's Sixth Corps has just arrived and will be marching full bore to get to the front. The question will be whether to send them to bolster the line or to reinforce Fifth Corps in an attempt to reduce Confederate pressure by attacking. This will be the question of the day. I'm far enough behind in points that I'm going to have to attack and regain some victory point hexes. What will have to be determined is if I have hurt the Rebels enough while they were making their gains that I can find a weak point to strike or eventually stretch them enough to find an open flank. I've included a screen shot to show the current situation.

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Another 20 minutes has come and gone. Sykes' Fifth Corps is definitely getting ol' Bobby Lee's attention as I can see troops and guns moving in that direction lessening the pressure coming from the Culps Hill area on the Baltimore Pike. More surprises ahead for Ewell's boys later in the day on this flank. The Rebels are maintaining the attack but without as much intensity in the center. I've had to resort to stealing odd regiments from brigades here and there in the center to reinforce this sector. Reinforcements from Hancock's Second Corps will make their presence felt next turn. The deployment of the AoP artillery reserve in firing positions to take on the top of the Round Tops has caused the Rebels to retreat to the reverse slope. More of the guns of the reserve have deployed to take on other Confederate batteries in the next turns and we shall see who wins this gun duel. If nothing else I'm hoping I can run them out of artillery ammo.

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Well it looks like the crisis has passed. Rebel forces are retreating from the Culp's Hill area to meet the threat posed by the Union on their left flank. Union troops are advancing to occupy their abandoned positions. The Rebels are retreating across the board for that matter. They've withdrawn from Cemetery Ridge and my troops are peaking their noses over the edge to see who shoots at them. Might have gone a little far and got shot at for our trouble but contact is maintained with the Reb army so that they know they can't retreat with impunity. They are also withdrawing from the Round Tops and we should reoccupy them within the next turn or two. I'm about 3500 points away from turning this back to a draw. We are at the point where the game has changed from the Rebels trying to get as much as they could to them trying to hold on to what they've got. I've got plenty of fresh troops on the way to persuade them that holding on to stuff in Virginia might be a better idea.

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I've caught up to the retreating Rebs in most places, or got to where they are making a stand, not sure which. In some areas I'm content to let them withdraw without close pursuit as the troops in those areas need to rest and refit. Fifth Corps is fully deployed and ready for the Rebs, who seem to have quickly hurried quite a force into their path. Another infantry Corps is on the way and I've also received a full cavalry division, which is going to be busy seeing just how well the Confederates have anchored their flanks. The victory level is approximately 1000 points above those needed for a Rebel major victory but the 1000 point hex in Gettysburg is tantalizingly close here at the halfway point.

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Just finished turn 71. The Confederates have withdrawn a short distance and taken up strong positions. I'm not strong enough to eject them.....yet, so I'm going to be patient. Got another Corps on the road to the front and I'll use them to stretch the Confederate flanks even further. I may skip some turns as we complete this maneuvering.

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Have just completed the 10 am turn on July 2 which almost half way through this battle. Have decided that the Confederates are too strong to push right now as they have apparently decided that they have attacked enough for one battle and appear to be digging in on good ground. Rather then take casualties for little gain I've decided to hunker down out of sight and let him dig in. Meanwhile my reinforcements are going to continue to stretch his flanks to the breaking point. This also allows my battered troops to rest up so they will be able to go on the offensive later. I've attached a screen shot of the jump map so you can get an overview of the entire battlefield as it stands now. The troops on the upper part of the map are the cavalry division of Gregg who are going to explore further to my right and see just how far the Rebels are stretched.

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Another few turns have passed and the Confederates are setting up a pretty strong defense. I've decided to take the time to reorganize and get my command and control....well back in control. I had thrown brigades around willy-nilly trying to stop his attack and I've got units intermingled all over the map. Going to take however many turns it takes to get all the commands back where they belong. Want to make sure everyone is back in command and control before starting my attack or some of them won't hold together long. This will also give some of the highly fatigued units that are in place a chance to rest up. Also going to take some time to get the artillery reserve in place to do the most damage. I think that in the end I'll have superior ground for the gunsin front of Gettysburg and will be able to take the town and the 1000 point VP hex within. Also going to take some time to get my last fresh infantry corps in place. While that is taking place. Gregg's cavalry division is going to go exploring and see just what is out there on the right flank. Who knows, might find a farmer with a still or some food that hasn't been requisitioned or just a lot of empty roads. :)