Gettysburg Campaign IV

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
As the clock tower struck 2pm Ewell's boys come boiling across the fields that separated them from the men of Howard's Eleventh Corps on the NE and E sides of Gettysburg and the fight was on. He also overlapped around the town to meet some of Cutler's men from Wadsworth's division. I'm of the school that defensive fire in the HPS engine is too weak but the lads of often denigrated Eleventh Corps gave as good as they got or better in some cases. Just wish my artillery on the hill behind us had been a little more active. Felt fortunate that we only had four units rout after the round of melees that took place but I had reserves in position to cover the gaps. We've pulled the men back to give them a little breathing space and a few more hexes to fire at as the Rebs advance, if they'll fire that is. It is really tricky trying to withdraw through town so moved up some reserves and put some guys into column and pulled them back to reserve position but gave up the edge of town. The Rebs will have to decide whether to move through town in line and disrupted or risk ambush moving in column and then deploying to line. Also decided it was time to start withdrawing First Corps to a better defensive line and one that will tie in where I hope to be the final stop line of the Rebel attack. Meanwhile even more troops are headed towards the sound of the guns. My opponent, Scott Kershner, has graciously not been looking at the screen shots and I'm therefore going to include them more often and include more of the map.

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Well the fighting around Gettysburg intensifies as Hill's troops decide to make an appearance. My guns posted behind Eleventh Corps savage a couple of Reb regiments that get within two hexes and I expect them to rout this turn. I only had two units rout compared to three who rallied. Goes to show what maintaining good command and control can do for you. Another turn of decent defensive fire, especially from the Iron Brigade. As the fatigue and disruption pile up though I expect it to get worse. More troops are released as their commanders begin to get news of the fighting around Gettysburg. One Reb cavalry raider overran a supply wagon but we recaptured it and got a few shots in on them to boot.

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Another good turn for the Union as only two more units routed while two more rallied. Anytime you can exchange the kind of gunfire that we are exchanging and only have two of the poorly rated Eleventh Corps rally then you have to be happy. There were some serious volleys exchanged this last turn and the Rebs launched some very successful melees, one which cost me 102 casualties! Still we managed to hold and the Rebs will be forced to advance into my fire and guns one more turn, which is another turn that reinforcements get to hurry down the roads leading to Gettysburg.

(you readers will have to let me know if I'm updating too much or not enough as sometimes I just get in a writing mood and sometimes not)

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Well just completed the 2:40pm turn. Have fallen back from Gettysburg except for the last few houses. I've also fallen back further towards Cemetery Hill to the South since I've got a brigade in place their and this allows me to slide some of First Corps further south. Reb regiments seen coming down the Cashtown Pike were seeing taking a right turn which will put them on my left flank, thus requiring that I slide further that direction, at least until reinforcements arrive on that flank. My guns must be having the desired affect as the Reb regiments seem to be going out of there way to stay out of their line of sight. This has opened a gap in Ewell's Corp that I might have to consider exploiting in another turn or two. Only two units rout this turn which I still consider to be outstanding for Eleventh Corps. This should encourage Union commanders to use this body of troops like any other as long as good command and control is used. Meanwhile other troops are racing towards the sound of the guns but everyone has such a long way to go to get to the action.

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Here is the victory info screen after the 2:40 pm turn. You can see the intensity of the fighting by comparing this one with the one I posted earlier with the 1pm victory info.

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Well Ewell's troops keep extending my left. I was forced to use a couple of cavalry regiments to slow them down. Word has come back that they have broken under terrible fire from the Rebs but the worst news is that gallant General Buford, who bought us the time to get deployed at all, was killed. It is sad that he finally paid the ultimate price in slowing down the Rebs. I pulled back as far as my fatigued and disrupted units would let me towards Cemetery Hill and now trying to stretch towards Culps Hill also. It will be a race to see if Ewell's forces can get there before reinforcements arrive. Slocum is pushing his troops up the road as fast as they can march so I'm crossing my fingers that they can get there first.

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Well the toll of fatigue and losses is finally beginning to wear on Eleventh Corps. Six regiments routed this turn, all from that Corps. Only 2 units rallied for me. I once again pullled back as far as disrupted units would let me, which enabled me to stretch out to the right some more. Hay's regiments are really pushing me out that way. The best news is that I believe Slocum's Twelth Corps is going to arrive just in time to save the day. However I'm afraid I may have to split them up to save both Cemetery and Culp's Hill. Should get the release of the rest of Third Corps next turn and they will hit the pike running!

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Well it's 4pm and the situation is looking grim. Twelve units routed this turn and not near that many rallied. Gave up some more ground and slid and turned to get the line covered. Finally got some of the retreating batteries deployed again so that the weight of their fire may be added in future turns. The good news is that Slocum's Twelfth Corps has arrived though it will take a few turns to get them shook out and into line where they can be a factor. Also, the Confederates are starting to deploy out to my left so I expect that will be my next danger point. Reinforcements are also on the way to that sector but it will be another race against time. Just hope I can stifle the danger on the right before the left gets out of control.

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Whew, what a pair of turns these last two have been. At 4:20pm the Rebels launched a tremendous assault that just knocked my defenses back on its heels and took some guns. I was really doubtful of holding Cemetery Hill after watching the replay and seeing the routing I had. I had especially poor defensive fire from my gun sections as I don't think they fired upon one Rebel infantry unit. I was able to patch together a makeshift line out of the remnants of those stout troopers who held together. My guns made up for poor defensive fire by ripping some great holes in the Reb regiments during my offensive fire. Two gun sections caused over 100 casualties in one Reb stack alone. The next turn saw a much weaker Reb effort in their attack and I was able to throw some Twelfth Corps troops into the line to bolster the line and extend my right flank. Meanwhile other troops are racing to the scene of the battle to reinforce our defense. I think if I can make it for another hour we might be good for the day. I've included a screenshot of the main area of action at the end of the Union turn.

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Well the Rebs keep giving my boys a pounding but are paying the cost to gain a few hexes of ground each turn. My guns did yeoman's work during my turn. Gun sections were taking 20 to 30 casualties each at a range of one or two. I also advanced some regiments in front of Cemetery Hill where he was reluctant to go as they were in range of the grand batteries I'd set up on the hill itself. These lads got some nice volleys in. The Rebels keep coming as they keep undisrupting thanks to their better quality but they have to be racking up some pretty big fatigue numbers by now and I've got to keep hoping that my opponent will some pretty good routing one of these turns. The 5pm turn is over and I'm now watching the sun waiting for night to fall. The Confederates have almost two full hours of daylight and an hour of dusk to get their work done. At least at dusk the guns he has on Seminary Ridge will become quiet.

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
This turn had some significant overtones for both sides. Rebs only made three melees, one which lost 119 men to my 39. However another managed to carry through and take a slew of guns, of which I don't think any fired defensively. This managed to get the Rebs to a major victory. Oh how I wish we wouldn't have started this battle before the patch came out. Full Defensive melee fire with all those guns would have been devastating. Instead my gunners sat there and waved at the Rebels as they came streaming by. The second melee the Rebs won advanced them next to Cemetery Hill but this advance was unsupported and I was able to surround these two regiments and they along with Brigadier General Doles will be shortly headed for the prison camp at Elmyra. My opponent also left a gap and I was able to advance one hex and snap up Major General Rodes. Hopefully this will throw the command structure of Rodes division in turmoil as there will be a Colonel Anonymous somewhere and there ratings are terrible. However the Union leadership suffered it's own tragedy as Major General Schurz was killed gallantly leading his troops. Since the Eleventh Corps officers aren't generally that great anyway it shouldn't hurt quite as much. A bad sign is the site of fresh Rebel troops coming down the road from Gettysburg so we'll have to gird ourselves for another wave of attacks.

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Well the 5:40 turn has come and gone. On my right the Confederates have pulled back a hex or two in most spots apparently giving up on that flank. In the center however they continue the assault and in the process Archer's brigade gains another hex and wounds General Geary in the process. However today the Iron Brigade, with a little help, have reaffirmed why they have that nickname. One regiment, and excuse me for not remembering which, has held numerous turns with the assistance of a gun section and whatever spare regiment I can find to throw in with it in front of Cemetery Hill. Once again this group, this time with a regiment from Candy's brigade withstood another assault, causing 76 casualties to their 26. Cutler's brigade has also turned in examplary service this day. More fresh troops arriving but I've also had another turn with more rallies then routs so my line is being strengthened each turn and should make Cemetery Hill secure. Another hour until dusk and then an hour to dark. It will be real interesting to see how long the Rebels will continue the attack. I had hoped that they were throwing everything towards Gettysburg but a cavalry detachment has found the lead regiment of McLaw's division swinging south off of the Chambersburg Pike between the Saw & Grist Mill and the German Baptist Church. Does this mean that all of Longstreet's First Corps is repeating history and deploying for an assault on my left on day two? Can't discount the possibility and I doubt my small scouting detachment will live long enough to tell me more so I'll have to deploy to counter. It's going to be a long night for Union troops as there is going to be a lot of reorganizing and digging for the lads who have fought all day and a lot of marching yet to do for some that have been on the road all day already. This is one spot where not having the patch will help me as the night march fatigue rule won't be in effect so my troops will arrive on the field fresh as a daisy rather then worn out from marching the better part of 18 hours or so. Did manage to move the victory point total closer to a minor victory this turn but didn't quite get there. I'm looking forward to finishing off this day's battle and seeing what opportunities and disasters await us with a fresh day....and fresh troops.....tomorrow.

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Well startled looks cross the faces of Howard, Reynolds, and Slocum at the same time! Are the Rebels really retreating??? They've backed off a few hexes and taken up positions out of sight of my guns but still close enough for a final charge. Two more turns of full daylight left and they are in position to fire away with infantry and all their artillery. I'll be so glad to see this last hour pass by. Good news though in that we had five more regiments rally and none rout. Stannard's brigade with his large regiments are on the scene now and the first troops of Third Corps are just entering the scene so we are feeling much more confident then we did an hour ago. Of course those troops of McLaws are now out there menacing my left flank somewhere because as predicted my little cavalry scout died in the first volley.

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Well the Rebs weren't done yet as Anderson's division comes roaring out it's resting place to put pressure on the left flank of Cemetery Hill. Fortunately the boys held despite heavy losses and we had just enough reserves and were able to slide regiments to the right to cover any gaps. Also, the first of Third Corps troops are beginning to arrive and should be able to influence the action in another 30 minutes or so. Also, it will be dusk next turn and some of the superior Reb artillery positions will be out of sight of Union forces and that shall help. We did get in some pretty good volleys on his advancing troops so hopefully we can burn out this fresh attack quickly. Had to swing some of my guns on Cemetery Hill around to face this new attack and they will be in position to rake his troops each time they move or fire. I just have to hope that the majority of these 8 guns sections will fire when given the opportunity. Included a screenshot to show the latest positions.

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Anderson's Division continues it's assault causing some serious losses in places but taking some also during my turn. Sadly, my gun section that has been a rock holding in position in front of Cemetery Hill was finally uncrewed. Those lads will have to get special commendations for their bravery in this battle. The two turn respite we received gave us time to straighten out our command and control and get some reserves in place so I'm confident that we shall repel Anderson when it is all said and done. We are scheduled to receive a steady stream or reinforcements throughout the night and the next day. I shall have to see about shoring up my flanks but I'm also probably too aggressive for my own good so the search will be on for the Reb's flank also.

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Well the Rebs persist in attacking in the lessening sunlight and even added to their assault by renewing the attack on Culps Hill. They were repulsed in several places and not in several others. Fortunately they were repulsed where it counted the most. Did have 7 units rout but had reserves in place to fill in the gaps, though not as strongly as I would have liked in a place or two. They extended the assault to my left but this was right into Ward's brigade and they advanced to meet the Rebs and gain an enfilade shot on several Reb regiments. However my horsey guys aren't going to be happy as I stumbled into McLaws boys again with another small squadron, this time much closer to my left flank. Looks like I know where the rest of Third Corps is going to have to go. Meanwhile Hancock's Second Corps is entering the field to the southwest and making forced marches to the sound of the guns. As much as I wished to be playing this with the new patch so as to get full melee defensive fire I'm glad I don't have to worry about night marching fatigue.

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Night has finally fallen and the Rebels have backed off in all locations except on the backside of Culp's Hill. Can't retreat so we'll have to keep up the night volleys. Meanwhile reinforcements march to the front and the Union Corps Commanders shuffle their troops around trying to reorganize and prepare for the next day.

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Well I've been forced to retreat one more hex on my side of Culp's Hill as I just couldn't stand and volley against the Rebs in place there. Now lets see if he wants to move forward in the dark. Also it appears that McLaws division is moving forward in the dark as they drove off my cavalry picket. I'm rushing reserves to the front as fast as they can go but the big question is "where do they go?". About 7 more turns of darkness to get troops realigned before the Rebs get enough light to start the fight all over again.

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Well the Rebs are being stubborn so we still have troops exchanging volleys in the dark over near Culp's Hill. The rest of the Union around Cemetery Hill is trying to get reorganized, rested, and dug in. Troops of III Corps have run into troops of Kershaw's brigade posted across the Emmitsburg Pike and will have to find a different route to join the rest of the army. Did have one Reb cavalry unit run into the lead columns along the pike and 30+ saddles were emptied in the dark with some more to come unless that unit routs out to safety. Be interesting, to put it mildly, to see how much more of McLaws division shows up.