Getting Started - Vassal Design Process

travillaintim

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Brent is spot on about the design process. So I guess a thread is in order on that subject for those starting out, where design tips can be shared

Generally before starting a new module, look at the entire game as a whole, and try to visualize how it would work in vassal (In other words what I spend most my time doing)

With the entire game layed out and a plan of how to do it emerges, look for common denominators in the game one can use to cut down in the amount of work required - anything from unit types, sides, common values such as attack / defense, even colors etc., all or any of which can be applied to prototypes so you never have to keep duplicating the same information again and again.

Apart from using a pad to help plot out cordinates, x and y values for your maps, I've found it's useful to keep notes as the design progresses. As the module develops the more cross relationships you may discover, possibly link by some method, something you hadn't thought of doing etc, and it helps to keep a note of these things so you can know what your doing, why, where, or simply be able to backtrack and find where you may have made an error later on down the road.

There is nothing more frustrating than having to search for where a relationship was stored, what command key does what, did I use that command key?, did it affect other pieces?, why isnt this doing what I told it to? etc.. that pad will come in handy :)

Using your plan, start simple and build up, you dont have to put in everything at once that you have visualized, as you can always revise the mod - the initial goal should be to get the basics working. Add those special features, or traits as you become more comfortable in how things work. My first 3 modules avoided Global Key commands entirely, a powerful trait, as I didn't fully understand how to make them work the way I wanted. Now, after much experimenting have I grasped it and begun employing it effectively.:devious:

GJK

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Good suggestions!

What I like to do for my notes is make a xerox copy of the rulebook (I'm lucky enough to have my own copier :)). I then will highlight rules and scribble my notes for things such as where a global key could be used or draw piles and other various traits.

What I need to learn how to use is the new "AutoImages" feature. I've played with it a bit but I'm just stubborn and continue to use my process of counter creation using Photoshop. I need to open up a module that someone sent me (who that is escapes me at the moment, sorry) and see how it is that they used it.

Swampwallaby

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Prototypes...

The most important time saving thing you can do is to start using prototypes right from the start to classify your units into similiar groups.

Even if the prototypes have nothing in them at this stage, there is basically no overhead in having them there and they will be worth their weight in gold when down the track you suddenly find the need to add a specific command to a sub-group of counters.

GOLDEN RULE OF VASSAL # 1
If you have to add the same trait to more than one counter, add it to a prototype instead and add the prototype to the counters

If you have done your prototype analysis correctly, you will find yourself only ever adding commands to existing prototypes anyway!

Every game is different of course, but for a basic hex & counter wargarme, I find I generally need to set up three hierachical sets of prototypes for the active units in the game:
  • Type
  • Political
  • Capabilities
Some games, you find you need to combine these to a certain extent. Sometimes you need more (Movement, Combat etc.)

Type covers the unit type. This is pretty essential. Every Chit, marker and unit should have a Marker named Type that defines what type of unit it is. This is pretty essential for using Global Key Commands. This is where the really basic level commands (Delete, Text Label, Movement Trail) are added.

Marker, Chit, Unit

Political covers who controls the counters, what nationalities, Divisions, Formations etc. Here is part of the Prototype hierachy from TDC:

Protoytpe 1-Para = [Marker Formation="1st Para", Prototype 1-AB]
Protoytpe 1-AB = [Marker Division="1st Airborne", Prototype Allies]
Protoytpe Allies = [Marker Army="Allies"]

Each unit in the 1st Parachute brigade gets only the prototype 1-Para. From this prototype and the 2 higher level prototypes, the units pick up 3 markers defining the Formation, Division and Army they belong to. That's basically it for the political side of things. Because I don't any capabilities to the political prototypes, I can add the same prototypes to any Chits and Markers belonging to 1st Para which allows Chits to affect their matching counters using Global Key Commands.

Capabilities is where you add specific commands to specific sub-groups of counters. A simple capability prototype hierachy might look like:

Combat -> Infantry, Vehicle, Gun
Infantry -> Engineer, Sniper
Vehicle -> Armed, Unarmed
Gun -> Mobile, Fixed

Sometimes you need to mix in some political depsending on the need to use differing counters or commands for different:

Engineer -> German-Engineer, Allied-Engineer

The secret is that if you do not know the game well, you need to Read The Rules and have a good idea of what capabilities each counter needs.

Keith Todd

Reaction score
Good suggestions!

What I like to do for my notes is make a xerox copy of the rulebook (I'm lucky enough to have my own copier :)). I then will highlight rules and scribble my notes for things such as where a global key could be used or draw piles and other various traits.

What I need to learn how to use is the new "AutoImages" feature. I've played with it a bit but I'm just stubborn and continue to use my process of counter creation using Photoshop. I need to open up a module that someone sent me (who that is escapes me at the moment, sorry) and see how it is that they used it.
Gary, did you ever use the "AutoImages" feature?

Keith

GJK

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Gary, did you ever use the "AutoImages" feature?

Keith
Nope. Call me hard-headed, but I went ahead and recreated each counter from scratch as well as the map(s). :nuts:

Oberst_Hero

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
GJK hero counter for sure....

Nope. Call me hard-headed, but I went ahead and recreated each counter from scratch as well as the map(s). :nuts:
You know I read your post where you volunteered for a game company.
You know I read your post about your thinking on starting a new game.
You know I read your post that you love nothing but the pig-headed best for game graphics.
You know I read your post about how you felt that it is greatly needed to have fully documented and to some degree detailed code/features/ etc...
You know I read your post about just about everything that is required to be The author of a bona-fide well planned/put together/fully featured wargame that I've finally decided to stop thinking and to instead keep reading about you and two others who have some Great Threads going here, that apply to just about any wargame I've ever played.

Since I was reading about and recalling kicking around with the load continuation, and the map as a mere gif usage in Vassal games...seems pertinent that I ask for just 1 thing.

If you do make a game, please please please oh please please make it dual layered capable. Orders and battles for team vs team wargaming. i've never seen anything like that since I was a youngster reading about Submarine !

As an aid I linked to one of my posts, you'll forgive me for not listing everyone by name but ya gotta start some where ok ?

GJK is Aries, in mythology.
Godt of Wvar

GJK

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
You know I read your post where you volunteered for a game company.
Yup, actually doing some stuff for MMP and Vance Von Borries
You know I read your post about your thinking on starting a new game.
I've got a few ideas for some things. I thought of something covering the Iwo Jima campaign (yes, done in S&T some time back but I have some other ideas). A few other odds and ends in mind as well.
You know I read your post that you love nothing but the pig-headed best for game graphics.
Yeah, that's my true labor of love - love doing the graphics. I love the work that many gaming artists have put out recently (like last decade); Niko Eskubi's work, Craig Grando, Mark Simonitch. I also love the classics that Charlie Kibler and others did. And shoot me, but I was never a big Redomond Simonson fan. His work was highly functional and non-cluttered, but I think if those projects to be reworked today by some of those mentioned, you could get some really nice looking stuff.
You know I read your post about how you felt that it is greatly needed to have fully documented and to some degree detailed code/features/ etc...
I'd like to see the VASSAL documentation updated personally. There's a ton of new features (great work guys!) and I know that it's in the help section of the editor, but navigating that isn't the best or easiest; plus I think online documentation with a printable version would be great.
You know I read your post about just about everything that is required to be The author of a bona-fide well planned/put together/fully featured wargame that I've finally decided to stop thinking and to instead keep reading about you and two others who have some Great Threads going here, that apply to just about any wargame I've ever played.
Wow! Well, thanks. I'm afraid that actually making the game, playtesting, rules editing and the research would be the difficult parts. One day I'd like to give it a spin though. I've chatted with Adam Starkweather about it. Who knows!
Since I was reading about and recalling kicking around with the load continuation, and the map as a mere gif usage in Vassal games...seems pertinent that I ask for just 1 thing.

If you do make a game, please please please oh please please make it dual layered capable. Orders and battles for team vs team wargaming. i've never seen anything like that since I was a youngster reading about Submarine !
VASSAL has a lot of nice options for hidden units and piece ownership that would certainly be condusive to a "Submarine" type of game. Making a physical board wargame that incorpates that without having to rely on a referee is a different matter. Blocks, inverted chits, CDG's, a number of methods have tried to emulate complete FOW.
As an aid I linked to one of my posts, you'll forgive me for not listing everyone by name but ya gotta start some where ok ?

GJK is Aries, in mythology.
Godt of Wvar
I'm not sure that Aries will agree, but I thank you for the compliment!

Oberst_Hero

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Servers. Vassal based, VASL based, Virtual PC based, or OS Management ?

Is it the classics I love or is it the short burst graphics/arcade computer I love
I as slowly getting into playing online. I must admit however comfortable I had felt with multi-boot WinOS's and simple LANs et, installing anything. Now I feel submerged by the sheer wealth of new settings choices and and systems. Oh boy. Now the firewall stuff and properties and server-side vs client's home computer, based support is well, a whole lotta new to learn.

When a new game is being made, what choices do you make and why ?

For instance:
Self sufficient game
How long is a game expected to be playable by the majority of game buyers.
C does change, as does Direct X. But hardware changes so much faster. My 95 and 98 to XP pro will soon be unable to start modern computers. My P4 cannot be run by Windows 95, nor can I even try to install it.
DOS is over but there are still current games that need it or Virtual PC to run and they won't be updated [Star Wars; SSI games]. Some of the Video cards are made to run specific games and do not support Windows Vesa or other system drivers. So they make obsolete everything I own etc ...

Server side support.
VASL is both dot.mod and exe. The Vassal is great since it allows for more options in choice of game start. Plus I would imagine that any game made that is dot.mod only, is bound to be easier to up date to a new Vassal than to be made into an dot.exe - no vassal needed.
Why is it better, or not, to have a game with both Vassal friendly dot.mod and dot.exe only ? I assume that server side support for online gaming is a substantial improvement over client only based support of yesteryear

Lastly, A crap shoot
The possiblity that actually it is hit and miss. Programming, hardware, 16-32-64 or greater bit processors, server side support program advances, plus anything new ... All these things make for a crap shoot.
So in reality computer games are about controlled obsolescence. If you are thinking like most board gamers do. That classics exist and will be around for ever. That, well then, paper/card board games allow for a classic that can be sold at the same inflationary Retail price year in, year out. But digital games are not that way. Ask yourself, is Real Physics gaming with slow play that important to you ? Or do you really just love a game that is loose fuzzy, appear-dissappear elements so that the action and tempo is always top-end [hence the AI cheats].

Oberst/