Getting started in ASL

bergquistd

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I am a "newbie" looking to get started in ASL and have a couple of questions....

Is the 2nd edition of the rulebook sufficiently different from the 1st edition to justify paying the extra amount (assuming I can even find a 2nd edition for sale!)

Is it necessary to buy all the modules with VASL available? I imagine you don't have the scenarios without the modules, but there are quite a few scenarios available for public download (ie MMP site has quite a number)....maybe better off to just "bite the bullet" and get the Beyond Valor, Yanks (and Paratrooper) modules? Would need to the modules for FtF, but not aware of any other players in my area, so will be limited to solitary, VASL and PBEM (with VASL)...

Are there play aid programs available? I've got the ASLAP program and it seems to be quite helpful...I also have heard of ASL GAP, but reviews on that don't sound too great....SALSA is available for solitary play -- anything else I'm not finding?

Anything else a "future prospect" should know?

Thanks for any help!

Doughboy

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
bergquistd said:
It is a program that helps keep track of play of an ASL scenario....also provides dice roll (if desired)....very helpful to me in reminding about DRM's, sniper rolls, etc....it can be downloaded here....

http://www.pitt.edu/~pferraro/aslap.html
Hi,
it references that it was designed for Win3.1 and works with Win95 as well.
Are there any issues running this in WinXP?

regards

Doughboy

cujo8-1

The Earl of Burgundy
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
bergquistd said:
I am a "newbie" looking to get started in ASL and have a couple of questions....

Is the 2nd edition of the rulebook sufficiently different from the 1st edition to justify paying the extra amount (assuming I can even find a 2nd edition for sale!)
Yes. Pay the extra amount for the new rulebook.

I updated my 1st edition rulebook with all the available errata thinking I would basically have a poor mans 2nd edition and I was wrong. I found things in one of my friend's 2nd edition rulebook that still wasn't in the first.

I immediately put in a preorder for the 2nd editon.

Although many have asked on Consimworld about the publishing date of the 2nd edition, no word has been forthcoming.

bergquistd

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Thanks Mike...I'll have to keep my eye open on ebay for one, as who knows when MMP will get around to another printing!

da priest

Reaction score
Doughboy said:
Hi,
it references that it was designed for Win3.1 and works with Win95 as well.
Are there any issues running this in WinXP?

regards

Doughboy
Only issue I know has existed since Win95 and the advent of bigger better monitors/videocards. The damned dice look funny, still usable but the dice look funny.

GJK

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
da priest said:
Only issue I know has existed since Win95 and the advent of bigger better monitors/videocards. The damned dice look funny, still usable but the dice look funny.
Works on Win2k with no problems at all. I like it for the odds calculations in CC. Takes all the guesswork out of figuring those out - and believe me, lots of guesswork usually. :)

WaterRabbit

Reaction score
Country
llGreenland
cujo8-1 said:
Yes. Pay the extra amount for the new rulebook.

I updated my 1st edition rulebook with all the available errata thinking I would basically have a poor mans 2nd edition and I was wrong. I found things in one of my friend's 2nd edition rulebook that still wasn't in the first.

I immediately put in a preorder for the 2nd editon.

Although many have asked on Consimworld about the publishing date of the 2nd edition, no word has been forthcoming.
If you have Rulebook V.1 and Chapters E-Z, plus the errata is basically the same. However, you have to hunt for things more. The Glossary/Index of V.2 is quite a bit better.

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
WaterRabbit said:
However, you have to hunt for things more. The Glossary/Index of V.2 is quite a bit better.
And the OVR and OBA flowcharts are very helpful.
The Incremental IFT is also given and is a good thing for those who do like that option.
Some rules (Wall Advantage) have been revised in the 2nd ed RB - and note that errata and other changes that appeared in different modules [e.g. village terrain, Human Wave rules revisited] are included in the 2nd ed RB...
So, pre-order it at MMP's : you won't regret it!

cujo8-1

The Earl of Burgundy
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Robin said:
And the OVR and OBA flowcharts are very helpful.
So, pre-order it at MMP's : you won't regret it!
Also, some of the basic charts (close combat, etc.)have been updated with information and are different than the ones I have in the first edition rulebook.

I'm hoping to receive my 2nd edition shortly after New Year's.

I am remaining patient, however as I just got KGP II and BRT in the mail yesterday after ordering them during the great sale taking place on the MMP website. :D

Ciao for now.

Ole Boe

Reaction score
Country
llNorway
WaterRabbit said:
If you have Rulebook V.1 and Chapters E-Z, plus the errata is basically the same. However, you have to hunt for things more. The Glossary/Index of V.2 is quite a bit better.
Note that there is very important errata found in several modules, like Croix de Guerre and Doomed Battalions, so getting all errata is no simply task.

But even then, there are numerous differences. The biggest is the total rewrite of B9 for V.2, so its definately worth some extra cost to get V.2.

Another thing is that all new errata is directed at V.2, so it will be harder to keep the V.1 rulebook updated. Also, new replacement pages are also made to fit in V.2 only.