Get the counters out of the sheet

Spencer Armstrong

Canard de Guerre
Reaction score
First name
Spencer
Country
llUnited States
As said, punching the counters with one's fingers is fine, as nowadays counters are attached by the corners.
A counter clipper easily removes the fluff of the corners.
Previously, I used good scissors - I am too clumsy to avoid some "skidding" with a knife.
Steel ruler. And once you get good and efficient with it, it'll take a fingertip off before you know what's happened. Trust me on this. ;)

Spencer Armstrong

Canard de Guerre
Reaction score
First name
Spencer
Country
llUnited States
"Hey, that counter's not supposed to be red....ohhh..."
Been there.
X-ACTO and steel ruler is still my preferred method of cutting anything paper but I have a white oval scar on one fingertip to remind me to double check my finger position...

Justiciar

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
X-ACTO and steel ruler is still my preferred method of cutting anything paper but I have a white oval scar on one fingertip to remind me to double check my finger position...
Drinking and cutting counters is just as bad as drinking and ordering on line...each has a price one is red the other is green. ;)

Spencer Armstrong

Canard de Guerre
Reaction score
First name
Spencer
Country
llUnited States
Drinking and cutting counters is just as bad as drinking and ordering on line...each has a price one is red the other is green. ;)
Hehe. In my defense (?) I was stone cold sober when I sliced my fingertip off. Familiarity-bred contempt and no better excuse, sadly.

thedrake

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
First thing I do is take regular scissors and cut the full countersheets into two half-sheets.

Then I use the scissors again to make a small diagonal cut where the rows of counters end,just missing the corner of the counters on the end of each strip. This helps to weaken the cardboard allowing easier removal of counter strips,and sometimes the individual counters start falling off,depending on how deep the printer's die-cut is.

Last I use a #3 surgical scalpel (didn't know Paul Weir,or anyone else besides me,used this) to cut the cardboard from any remaining counter strips,and to cut apart each individual counter and clip the corners. Like Paul suggested use light strokes to prevent blade wear and slippage.

olli

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llGermany
Xacto knife with a curved blade to release the counters from the tree then Oregon clippers to trim the corners

Ray Woloszyn

"Fire and Movement"
Reaction score
First name
Ray
Country
llUnited States
First thing I do is take regular scissors and cut the full countersheets into two half-sheets.

Then I use the scissors again to make a small diagonal cut where the rows of counters end,just missing the corner of the counters on the end of each strip. This helps to weaken the cardboard allowing easier removal of counter strips,and sometimes the individual counters start falling off,depending on how deep the printer's die-cut is.
This works well but you need a heavy duty pair of scissors to do this.

boylermaker

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
You may want to look at carbon dioxide lasers too.

JR
And burn the sides of the counters!? No thanks! (I am laser cutting a custom storage solution for my counters, though, so I have some CO2 laser love).