Get on with it! (Please?)

viridomaros

Reaction score
Country
llBelgium
If it's because you want to focus on the scenario of your dream, that's a valid excuse :smoke: . If you need any help by the way viri has a lot of free time

Mantis

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
To answer your first comment, nope, it has nothing to do with this. Sit in front of a PC all day long with nothing to do, and you're not allowed to play games of any sort or install software. Reading/posting is all that's left! :) I'm just going through alot here right now. Family member passed just before Christmas, and we have 3 different houses moving now... Have to not only move them, but help look for 2 new places to live, and with the boom here, it is quite a chore to find something for rent. Have court coming up, and alot of lawyer crap to go through (which takes alot of time - I do most of the scut-work myself to save massive thousands on the final bill).

Truth of it is that when I finally get home in the evenings, it's almost time for bed, and I feel 90% dead, lol. Don't get on the PC much at all, for anything. (I really wish they'd let me install TOAW here!)

But as to help, yes indeed, Pierre, I'd love it! How are you with maps? :D

Mantis

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
I'll make a promise to all those that I owe turns - I can't get any free time this work week (might even have to take a day off to clear enough time), but I'll do my best to get each and every one of you a fresh turn in the coming week.

Wolf

Reaction score
Country
ll
I know the feeling - every now and then I get the same feeling:nuts:

The Vince

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The Vince versus Bill

Update turn 52 - 110

Soon after the last post Leningrad fell.
The Swedes joined the axis after a few turns.
After a bit of preparation i declared war on Danmark
and Norway. Used the Swedes and Bonus units who came
with railroad to the Norwegian borders.
Oslo and Narvik and rest of Norway and Danmark were
taken quit fast.

After the fall of Leningrad German forces did not do much
more then rest and clean up a bit. Till end of the winter
not much progress was made.
HRS reserves were like almost gone.

I still wondering what would have happened if France and
the UK would started some serious offensive in the West.

Besides some attempts to attack threw the Siegfriedline
no major trouble on the West front started. Bill did
started moving UK forces to the Middle East and invaded
Iran. After The fall of Iran he UK forces moved to the
Russian South front.

Around winter the East front was totaly rested again and
lots of new German panzer corps started to come in.

Winter came and went.
No Allied counter offensive using the winter bonus.

After the winter cleared i started attacking again.
Poking with armoured units, way more then in 1940 i
started breaking the Russian frontline again.
Like in 1940 again it looked like Bill placed every
Russian unit in the frontline.
Offensive was looking good. Slow, but i did manage to
open some gaps on some points. Then the cease-fire
event hit. Did not expect it.
Gave both sides some turns to rest and reposition.

After the Mud the offensive continued. Still with panzer
mech and bonus units mostly. Most infantry corps were
still top fit.
Due to the damage done in 1940 i think, Russian frontlines
began to break on some points.
I began pouring reserves threw the gaps and Russians began
to be cut off supply and surrounded.

Somewhere around turn 100 i thought it was time to go all out.
I started attacking wiht infantry corps also. Russians forces
already looked red tired on the whole frontline.

German HRS losses are just silly but after a few turns
Russian resistance began to collapse completly.

Currently at turn 110.

Moskou only Russian front that is alive at the moment.
Wont be for long i think.
Below Moskou Russian armies ceased to excist.
South collapsed also and Stalingrad is in reach soon.

Some pictures

Westfront http://i5.tinypic.com/40khmh2.gif

Moskou http://i5.tinypic.com/2d6p62x.gif

Center http://i10.tinypic.com/436e8g5.gif

South http://i14.tinypic.com/482iw75.gif

Dont know where the game goes from here but it looks like
Russia is gonne be out of the war.

Sidenote: How anyone playing Axis can defeat Russia in 1
year beats me. I know i cant.

The Vince

Lines around turn 78

Westfront http://i5.tinypic.com/4gzl2s3.gif

Leningrad http://i14.tinypic.com/2dhwuhc.gif

Moskou http://i7.tinypic.com/2nq85z6.gif

Center http://i12.tinypic.com/4grurki.gif

South http://i5.tinypic.com/2v7ur9u.gif

Last edited:

Veers

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Update turn 52 - 110

Soon after the last post Leningrad fell.
The Swedes joined the axis after a few turns.
After a bit of preparation i declared war on Danmark
and Norway. Used the Swedes and Bonus units who came
with railroad to the Norwegian borders.
Oslo and Narvik and rest of Norway and Danmark were
taken quit fast.

After the fall of Leningrad German forces did not do much
more then rest and clean up a bit. Till end of the winter
not much progress was made.
HRS reserves were like almost gone.

I still wondering what would have happened if France and
the UK would started some serious offensive in the West.

Besides some attempts to attack threw the Siegfriedline
no major trouble on the West front started. Bill did
started moving UK forces to the Middle East and invaded
Iran. After The fall of Iran he UK forces moved to the
Russian South front.

Around winter the East front was totaly rested again and
lots of new German panzer corps started to come in.

Winter came and went.
No Allied counter offensive using the winter bonus.

After the winter cleared i started attacking again.
Poking with armoured units, way more then in 1940 i
started breaking the Russian frontline again.
Like in 1940 again it looked like Bill placed every
Russian unit in the frontline.
Offensive was looking good. Slow, but i did manage to
open some gaps on some points. Then the cease-fire
event hit. Did not expect it.
Gave both sides some turns to rest and reposition.

After the Mud the offensive continued. Still with panzer
mech and bonus units mostly. Most infantry corps were
still top fit.
Due to the damage done in 1940 i think, Russian frontlines
began to break on some points.
I began pouring reserves threw the gaps and Russians began
to be cut off supply and surrounded.

Somewhere around turn 100 i thought it was time to go all out.
I started attacking wiht infantry corps also. Russians forces
already looked red tired on the whole frontline.

German HRS losses are just silly but after a few turns
Russian resistance began to collapse completly.

Currently at turn 110.

Moskou only Russian front that is alive at the moment.
Wont be for long i think.
Below Moskou Russian armies ceased to excist.
South collapsed also and Stalingrad is in reach soon.

Some pictures

Westfront http://i5.tinypic.com/40khmh2.gif

Moskou http://i5.tinypic.com/2d6p62x.gif

Center http://i10.tinypic.com/436e8g5.gif

South http://i14.tinypic.com/482iw75.gif

Dont know where the game goes from here but it looks like
Russia is gonne be out of the war.

The Vince
Wow, you really have him in the south. Looks like Stalingrad is an easy target.
Are you planning on swinign north with your central troops, south of Ryazan, since there are not more major objective in the centre?
Where was the front line at the beginning of winter?

Last edited:

Mantis

Reaction score
Country
llCanada

The Vince
Well, you have done some quite considerable damage in the limited attacks made to begin your Russian campaign. The difference in killing them in one year is simply a player's philosophy. Like James, I consider the normal state of my units to be 33/1 (eg: glowing cherry red).

The question isn't 'how high is my supply', it is 'am I *in* supply? Yes? Good enough - Banzaii!' This is not due to any fault in your playing, it is simply that some of us recognize some weaknesses in the game engine, and we play to said weaknesses. When I hit the Russians to open the show, I hit them hard, and with virtually everything that I have.

Yes, there are the typical things going on in the backgroud, reserves, redeployment, etc; but the point of it all is that I don't give the Reds a second to breathe. I hit them hard, everywhere, and I make sure all their units are also in 'normal' condition - 33/1% (Readiness/Supply). And, under such circumstances, you can really slap those early Russkie units around. Difficult to take the three major cities? Most certainly. But next time you play a game, try starting your offensive this way. (With the infantry, mech, everything advancing...)

Also, there are other considerations - don't worry about a solid line as you advance. I typically advance in two large thrusts (with a third that is mainly composed of Minors) that branch out once we start gobbling terrain. To be sure, I don't let errant Reds cut off my supply or create havoc in my rear, but it takes very few units (split down into divisions and spaced out) to ensure the integrity of your advance.

Also - I like to offer 'openings'. See an area that is well-defended, the Russians are rested, fortified, defence in depth? Well, time for some maneuver, obviously, but give the Russians an opportunity to smack you. Offer them any number of opportunities to attack you and come right out of that fortified status.

A final thought: I use my paras like a madman. I have made some truly humongous encirclements. Yes, you *do* have to be careful. But from an Allied point of view, I see the opening of Barbarossa to be primarily an exercise in preserving your troops, while also limiting the advance as much as possible. As a German player, therefore, my goal isn't just terrain/objectives. I want to eat that Red Army! Also consider - if you can't quite wipe the pocket, and one or two of your paras (broken into 1/3rds) get overrun as the Reds bust out, well that's fine too! If you weren't behind them with the paras, they might not fall back. They might sit there, and still be fortified. Also, when the Reds attack with their starting troops, which also happen to be glowing cherry red, they are quite likely to see their turn end early. Nothing better than watching all the reds move a hex, then sit there in mobile deployment so you can mop them up all the easier on your next turn.

Veers

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Well, you have done some quite considerable damage in the limited attacks made to begin your Russian campaign. The difference in killing them in one year is simply a player's philosophy. Like James, I consider the normal state of my units to be 33/1 (eg: glowing cherry red).

The question isn't 'how high is my supply', it is 'am I *in* supply? Yes? Good enough - Banzaii!' This is not due to any fault in your playing, it is simply that some of us recognize some weaknesses in the game engine, and we play to said weaknesses. When I hit the Russians to open the show, I hit them hard, and with virtually everything that I have.

Yes, there are the typical things going on in the backgroud, reserves, redeployment, etc; but the point of it all is that I don't give the Reds a second to breathe. I hit them hard, everywhere, and I make sure all their units are also in 'normal' condition - 33/1% (Readiness/Supply). And, under such circumstances, you can really slap those early Russkie units around. Difficult to take the three major cities? Most certainly. But next time you play a game, try starting your offensive this way. (With the infantry, mech, everything advancing...)

Also, there are other considerations - don't worry about a solid line as you advance. I typically advance in two large thrusts (with a third that is mainly composed of Minors) that branch out once we start gobbling terrain. To be sure, I don't let errant Reds cut off my supply or create havoc in my rear, but it takes very few units (split down into divisions and spaced out) to ensure the integrity of your advance.

Also - I like to offer 'openings'. See an area that is well-defended, the Russians are rested, fortified, defence in depth? Well, time for some maneuver, obviously, but give the Russians an opportunity to smack you. Offer them any number of opportunities to attack you and come right out of that fortified status.

A final thought: I use my paras like a madman. I have made some truly humongous encirclements. Yes, you *do* have to be careful. But from an Allied point of view, I see the opening of Barbarossa to be primarily an exercise in preserving your troops, while also limiting the advance as much as possible. As a German player, therefore, my goal isn't just terrain/objectives. I want to eat that Red Army! Also consider - if you can't quite wipe the pocket, and one or two of your paras (broken into 1/3rds) get overrun as the Reds bust out, well that's fine too! If you weren't behind them with the paras, they might not fall back. They might sit there, and still be fortified. Also, when the Reds attack with their starting troops, which also happen to be glowing cherry red, they are quite likely to see their turn end early. Nothing better than watching all the reds move a hex, then sit there in mobile deployment so you can mop them up all the easier on your next turn.
I look less and less forward to the Axis invasion of the USSR in our game, Shane. :laugh:

The Vince

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
updated my previous post

Some more pictures from before the winter of 1940.

Thanks for the feedback Mantis and Veers.

The Vince

Veers

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Some more pictures from before the winter of 1940.

Thanks for the feedback Mantis and Veers.

The Vince
Awesome.
He really had you stopped quite a ways from Moskow before winter. Kudos for being able to get as close as you are after the end of winter. Let us know when you take Stalingrad and Moskow, and, thereofre, achieve victory in the east! :D

mcalpine

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
From the Allied Perspective (Vince vs. Bill)

Greetings all,

I am the playing Allies against Vince. I must say that I have been quite humbled by the way the Vince's Germans can simply cut through the Russians at will. I have fought him every way that I know how for almost two years, but you have seen the results. Moscow and Stalingrad will fall in perhaps 4 to 6 turns.

Vince is a fine player, much superior to me given his battlefield triumps over what I thought were pretty good defenses over the last three campaing seasons in the East (39, 40, and 41).

I know that I have been outclassed from the start, but I wonder what else I could have done to slow him down. Any EA vets willing to point out my mistakes here?

Bill

Mantis

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
We are trying to organize a chat (there is a chat area on the site) where we can discuss strategy and tactics, hopefully sometime today. Check the following thread to view the details about the chat:

Link