Get in CHAT!!!

Redwolf

Member # 3665
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Can't we use a chat server that allows connection by normal IRC clients?

I cannot upgrade to Java 1.4, 1.3.1 is required for equally badly written stuff I need to use :(

Dan Neely

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I've begged the same myself, unfortunately the only decent java IRC clients I found were payware, and the admins don't want to spend money on the chat system. SO unless someone is willing to write one from scratch, or buy one for wfhq we're not going to see an improvement :(

Redwolf

Member # 3665
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Well, it starts fine with my 1.3.1 but when I click connect nothing happens. I *know* I cannot upgrade to 1.4 because it breaks more important stuff for me.

My point was to get rid of that Java crap and have people require to use their own IRC clients instead of trying fancy Java tricks.

At least that is what we had to do and did for the TacOps CPX community. The users complained and cried and screwed the installation of their clients up in all possible ways, but in the end all succeeded and are chatting happily ever after.

It is a sad fact that Java just plain and simply sucks, even if people are willing to use some variant of Sun's VM (Microsoft's is bejond repair anyway).

Siberian HEAT

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I would love to start our own IRC channel and just have people use their own clients. However, most people here seemed to be against that. Yet, if several people can't even get into our chat because of java issues, we might yet need to consider IRC.

Redwolf

Member # 3665
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
You can have both.

There are free Java chat clients that use IRC. It requires that you post the Java classes .zip file on the same machine as the IRC server which is a hefty download. That also means it has to be free (or to be bought) to be put up on your server. And of course each single of them only works in some browers.

I did that for a different IRC server of mine. In the end people didn't use the Applet much because the real client was more convinient/fast but as a first step to get people in it was nice and worked in the then most current IE version.

Last edited:

Dan Neely

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
IMO setting up an actaul IRC server is massive overkill for what we actually need. Simply creating a channel on a stable preexisting network should be more than adequate.

John Paul

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I don't know about all the rest but my problem was i got a message saying i had a corrupted Java file,but i'm was also getting that my server doesn't support the site?!i don't know,tried to update and the darn thing won't download.

Mantis

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
That's not really true.

Although chat is empty most of the time, there are many times during the day when I notice I am on at the same time as many other members. I send a quick PM to the people I know, and post a quick message saying I'm going to be in chat.

Over 80% of the time, I get some people in, and quite a few times we've had a nice little crowd in there. It can be a lot of fun, but you have to work at it a bit to get the most out of it.

Redwolf

Member # 3665
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Originally posted by Headshot
no one is ever in chat anyway, whats the point?
Very funny. I am not in chat because it doesn't work for me. And while I know how to fix it (new VM) I cannot fix it because other equally bad written java stuff require my current Java version.

Give me a standalone chat program and deal. As I said, since there are IRC Java clients you can have both, at the expense of high downloads.