German Order of Battle references and usage hints

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
I was going to reply to this thread until I realized it would be a necro post: http://www.gamesquad.com/forums/index.php?threads/question-about-a-german-regiment.108714/

But I do want to share the best reference I know for German order of battle stuff, and some tips for using it.

It is in German, but Google has the ability to translate entire pages at a time. You can then hover over the translated text to see the original text in case something looks fishy. For example, "Abteilung" is usually translated as "department" when in military usage, it translates more directly as detachment, or often as battalion.

This online German-English MILITARY dictionary is invaluable to help in cases like this:

Google doesn't know a lot of the military terms, or how to use them in context, but the military dictionary will assist greatly with that.

For anyone looking for contextual material regarding the Eastern Front, David Glantz's book is very good:

Slaughterhouse: The Encyclopedia of the Eastern Front

It has sketch histories of all the divisions, breakdowns of the unit types, bios of high-level commanders, and a brief history of the war.

Other good sites are the Axis History site, and as noted in the other thread, Feldgrau.com Both are very useful as well.

Andrew Rogers

Reaction score
First name
Andy
Country
llAustralia
The following references (in English) contain a detailed breakdown of each Armored Division employed by the Germans on the Western Front between June 44 and Feb 45 - Dugdale, Panzer divisions - Panzergrenadier divisions - Panzer brigades of the army and the Waffen SS in the West: Autumn 1944 - February 1945.

Blofeld

Reaction score
Country
llGermany