German ASL Tournament Grenadier 09

CKS04

Grenadier Tournament
Reaction score
Country
llGermany
Dear ASL fellows,

it is again time to begin thinking about the upcoming German ASL tournament "Grenadier 09" which will run from 05.11. - 08.11.2009 in Hergarten which is a little village in Germany about 30 miles near by Cologne.

It is my opinion that preparing a scenario in front of a tournament is not only part of the fun but also one tool to enhance play-skill and play-fun. To make sure that this can work, I will already announce the scenario list for the upcoming Grenadier tournament.

As I know from own (sometimes hard) experience, it is nearly impossible to satisfy all players in every tournament round with the selected scenarios. This year Michael Koch and me took a long go to find scenarios which are not only balanced according to ROAR, but are also fun to play and challenging for both players. Only the participants feedback at the end of the tournament will show how succesfull we accomplished that task. :D

We will return this year to the classic “choose one out of three scenarios” method. This means that the Axis and Allies team tournament is history. It was a good thing but now we go on and try something different.

The different thing this year will be the second round of the tournament. In this (big) round we offer some uncommon (for a tournament) scenarios. We have selected seven scenarios with very different contents and it is up to each participant to choose one. The new thing is that the choice of the preferred scenario can be made long before the tournament starts. After this decision an Email is sent to me and I will add the play whish to the Grenadier webpage. In the moment when two players play wish matches, I will fix the game. This means that most people can be sure that they can play their wanted scenario at Grenadier. Of course still the side is open.

This becomes more important if you are looking over the seven scenarios and find out that some (if not all) of them need a closer look at the rules. To make things a little bit more flexible I would ask to send me a play wish list which hold up to three scenarios in a “like-to-play” order.

The Grenadier webpage (www.asl-grenadier.de) is already updated. You will find the scenario list for Grenadier 09 by clicking on the "Szenariolist 09" Button.

Another often heard point is the (non-)availability of a “PTO-only” round. Guys, believe me - I really love PTO and I strongly recommend every ASL player, who had never played a PTO scenario, to give it a try. It is complete different to all ETO and its really fun. But in a tournament there are a lot of players who want to concentrate on what they are familiar with. I can understand this and that’s why we try this year to satisfy all players :laugh:

There will be no “PTO-only” round, but in rounds 1 – 3 there is always one PTO scenario included. Means that in rounds 1 and 3 you may decide to play a PTO scenario out of the three offered. Round 2 also holds a PTO Scenario which is something special (that’s why it is integrated in round 2 :smoke:). We will see whether this concepts work as I supposed it to do.

For Thursday late afternoon we are offering the “Three are two to much” Mini-Tournament. Nine players are divided into three groups and every group plays the famous ToT45 Scenario “Dogs of War” which is a classic three player scenario. The three scenario winners will play another round together and the final winner will be declared as the Mini-Tournament winner :clap:.

One last word to those just starting playing ASL. Don’t think that you lack the skill to participate in an event like Grenadier. You will provably learn over this one weekend more about ASL then you can teach yourself within half a year. You’re welcome and there are always people willing to play with you and answer your questions. So don’t hesitate and join us at Grenadier. All old ASL veterans out there, don’t hesitate to pick up ASL starters in your reach and accompany them to Grenadier

See you at Grenadier

CK

nitro

Reaction score
Country
llFrance
Grenadier is one of my favorite tournaments and I should be going there this year too.

For those who don't know : Christian rents for the week-end a whole youth hostel facilities. The place has been done anew and everything's very nice.
We play and sleep on the same place (just like Arnhem) and hot food is prepared for the meals : this is all very convenient.

I hope we'll see many new faces there this year.

We have selected seven scenarios with very different contents and it is up to each participant to choose one. The new thing is that the choice of the preferred scenario can be made long before the tournament starts. After this decision an Email is sent to me and I will add the play whish to the Grenadier webpage.
Concerning round 2 : I'd gladly play "A bridgehead too wet" for I like Desert and DTO is seldom picked up in tournaments.

Cheers,
-B.

M.Koch

Grenadier TD
Reaction score
Country
llGermany
Concerning round 2 : I'd gladly play "A bridgehead too wet" for I like Desert and DTO is seldom picked up in tournaments.
That was the intention behind the scenarios of round two...Hopfully to serve something "special" for everybodys taste.

Jacometti

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
If lightning or other natural disasters do not strike me before November, I should of course be at Grenadier to defend my title.

I would love to play A Bridgehead too Wet against Bruno, but I prefer to play him in scenarios where he has 9-2 leaders and I have SAN 4 or 5.

Seeing such a nice young man explode in French expletives, as his precious 9-2 was taken, stacked with 3 7-4-7 squads in Rocket's Red Glare, was a priceless experience.

I will drop you a line closer to the tournament with my choice for Round 2.

PS: I think there is no problem at all in having a full PTO round in any tournament. Few players are unwilling to play - those totally unfamiliar with it are usually not gunning for the top 3 positions anyway - and it can be a great place to learn some Japanese for beginners.....

CKS04

Grenadier Tournament
Reaction score
Country
llGermany
PS: I think there is no problem at all in having a full PTO round in any tournament. Few players are unwilling to play - those totally unfamiliar with it are usually not gunning for the top 3 positions anyway - and it can be a great place to learn some Japanese for beginners.....
I agree, but I see the advantage of being able to play more then one PTO scenario (if I want to do this). I'm also able to avoid it at all. And last but not least does it give ME (as the tournament director) a bigger choice for scenarios - depending on the theme I choose. All in all I think it should be tested :)

Concerning the top positions in the tournament I made the experience that there are always the same candidates for the top positions. And every year there are one or two players who made the cut and score a top ranking too. But - and that is at least my impression - I found the Grenadier attendees always to be there mostly for the fun of the playing and I cannot remember an occasion when I have had trouble with anybody. That's - by the way - one important point we will have still an eleventh Grenadier :(

CK

M.Koch

Grenadier TD
Reaction score
Country
llGermany
Agree! That is the most important thing about Grenadier -and other tournaments as well
and...Beer :laugh: :toast:
At least it´s GRENADIER, you know

As i see the French are willing to fight, as well as the Dutch and the Amis. Hope to see again such a wide field of nationalities as last year :thumup:

Jacometti

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
The only reason to attend Grenadier is because it is Grenadier !

I first went in 2002 (I think) and have been there every time I could, if work did not keep me stuck on the other side of the planet. I have made so many ASL friends there, played fantastic games, drove through snow, ice and dark nights to get there, slept in bunk beds miserable with flue, showered in the swimming pool rooms, ate the Grenadier Suppe and Tosti Hawais.....

There is something about this gathering, that just has me coming back every year, every time I can. I really like CK's szenario selection, always some big games included for the night crawlers.....

When I am there, I also play as well as I can......of course.

ecz

Partisan Captain
Reaction score
Country
llItaly
I agree, but I see the advantage of being able to play more then one PTO scenario (if I want to do this). I'm also able to avoid it at all. And last but not least does it give ME (as the tournament director) a bigger choice for scenarios - depending on the theme I choose. All in all I think it should be tested :)

Concerning the top positions in the tournament I made the experience that there are always the same candidates for the top positions. And every year there are one or two players who made the cut and score a top ranking too. But - and that is at least my impression - I found the Grenadier attendees always to be there mostly for the fun of the playing and I cannot remember an occasion when I have had trouble with anybody. That's - by the way - one important point we will have still an eleventh Grenadier :(

CK

at IT-ASL-IA we have a "parallel" PTO-Only round adopted last year for the first time.
We'll use this rule again during IT-ASL-IA 2009, 11-13 septemeber 2009.

Parallel Round PTO:
In the 5th round a supplemental set of 3 scenarios featuring Japaneses and/or PTO is provided. Before the tournament starts all players who prefer the supplemental set instead of the ordinary list must communicate their choice to the TDs.
Then there are 3 possible outcomes:
A) Both players want to play "Japaneses and/or PTO": they choose a scenario from the "Japanese" list according the usual procedure

B) None of Them want to play "Japaneses and/or PTO": they choose a scenario from the ordinary list according the usual procedure

C) one would play "Japaneses and/or PTO" and the other disagrees: they choose a scenario from the ordinary list but the player who opted to play "Japaneses and/or PTO" has two minor advantages:
-1) if the players have deleted the same scenario giving different priorities, the player who opted to play "Japaneses and/or PTO" choose the scenario to play (no DR needed);
-2) If both players make the same identical bid the player who opted to play "Japaneses and/or PTO" is assumed to have won the choice (no DR needed).

So players are encouraged to play a PTO to avoid the disadvantages in the non-PTO scenario choice of the last round.
The choice (PTO yes-no) is made in advance, before the tournament begins, when everyone still hopes to play for the title in the last round!

Very interesting your idea of round two. I'm curious to see if it works and if achieves its objective.
I'll attend your tournament, sooner or later.

CKS04

Grenadier Tournament
Reaction score
Country
llGermany
at IT-ASL-IA we have a "parallel" PTO-Only round adopted last year for the first time.
We'll use this rule again during IT-ASL-IA 2009, 11-13 septemeber 2009.

Parallel Round PTO:
In the 5th round a supplemental set of 3 scenarios featuring Japaneses and/or PTO is provided. Before the tournament starts all players who prefer the supplemental set instead of the ordinary list must communicate their choice to the TDs.
Then there are 3 possible outcomes:
A) Both players want to play "Japaneses and/or PTO": they choose a scenario from the "Japanese" list according the usual procedure

B) None of Them want to play "Japaneses and/or PTO": they choose a scenario from the ordinary list according the usual procedure

C) one would play "Japaneses and/or PTO" and the other disagrees: they choose a scenario from the ordinary list but the player who opted to play "Japaneses and/or PTO" has two minor advantages:
-1) if the players have deleted the same scenario giving different priorities, the player who opted to play "Japaneses and/or PTO" choose the scenario to play (no DR needed);
-2) If both players make the same identical bid the player who opted to play "Japaneses and/or PTO" is assumed to have won the choice (no DR needed).

So players are encouraged to play a PTO to avoid the disadvantages in the non-PTO scenario choice of the last round.
The choice (PTO yes-no) is made in advance, before the tournament begins, when everyone still hopes to play for the title in the last round!
Also a nice idea. But I think that round 5 is not the best round for a PTO round. It is probably the final round for two players and I think there should be no additional poker possibility. But it sounds as a good idea for a round in 1 - 3.

CK

Ray Woloszyn

"Fire and Movement"
Reaction score
First name
Ray
Country
llUnited States
Booked my airline ticket today so count me in barring unforeseen circumstances. Will need to work on arrangements to get to the gaming site from Frankfurt.

M.Koch

Grenadier TD
Reaction score
Country
llGermany
Just a quick info

CK has updated the GRENADIER site with some pictures of the Gästehaus location. Nothing special for old hands but for first timers who don´t know what they will find there...

See link below and then click on location...

C U there :toast:

Stacks

Reaction score
Country
llFinland
Hi Christian,
Will not be able to participate but like to read what scenarios you have choosen,would reccomend that you deleted the special Balance for the scenario
Timoshenko´s Attack since I´m very convinced that the scenario is about
50-55% pro-German (and if Kindling is used it would be 56-60% pro-German).
Maybe instead delete one or two German LMGs.

Have played the scenario 22 times vs 13 different players and four additional
times as a multi-player scenario.

* The Szenario Timoshenko's Attack receives a special Grenadier Balance which is always in play:
"Add one 4-6-7 Squad and one 8-1 Leader to the German At Start OB"
The Scenario CH89 Old MAn Forward should simple be deleted since it is a complete dog - to the bone :D (or change the VCs).

with kind regards

CKS04

Grenadier Tournament
Reaction score
Country
llGermany
Guys,

Grenadier is near. There are right now 34 attendees from eight countries.

Most players sent me a wishlist for the "Specialilty" second round and mostly everybody can play his first wish.

For the first time not Klaus Fischer but I by myself designed a logo for Grenadier.
What a time consuming work if you are not comfortable with graphic design :blab:
But I'm very satisfied with the result which can be viewed at www.asl-grenadier.de

I have used the year and wrote a new computer program which supports me in organizing the tournament. I does all the work of pairing, accumulating points, printing and even assembling all data and sending it to the Area Master. All of you involved in some kind of computer programming know in what for tricky errors you migt run, even while you have tested as best you could :angry:
So I'm very cautious about this. But at least I have developed a strategy if some errors occur: Open a bottle of beer, drink, calm down and use a pencil :D

Beer is ordered too and I only can say "Let the show begin".

For those still thinking about joining. There is still rooom left. So you're welcome!

See you in Hergarten

CK

CKS04

Grenadier Tournament
Reaction score
Country
llGermany
For all still indecisive players, let me tell you that there are already over 30 Players pre-registered for the Grenadier tournament. But there ist still place left. :nuts:

If you think you lack the rule knowledge to participate in a tournament, I truely disagree. Even with Starterkit knowledge you will find opponents at Grenadier who will improve your playing skill in the course of the four day event up to a level you may hardly reach within six month while learning the rules by yourself.

See you at Grenadier

CK