Geoboards - ideas wanted

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
This has more stuff on it.

View attachment 6965
On this one, I would indeed have one single connected hill-mass rather than two separate ones. You can create this situation with separated hill-masses in a horseshoe configuration by using two regular geo boards. But for a single horseshoe hill with some room around it, you need the Fort board.

von Marwitz

Tuomo

Keeper of the Funk
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
On this one, I would indeed have one single connected hill-mass rather than two separate ones. You can create this situation with separated hill-masses in a horseshoe configuration by using two regular geo boards. But for a single horseshoe hill with some room around it, you need the Fort board.
DON'T FALL FOR IT, DON!

Don: Here, I've got this cool board
vM: It needs stuff on it

Don: Here, I added some stuff
vM: It needs the hills connected

Don: Here, I connected the hills
vM: It needs <insert niggling detail here>

This is why we don't do Art By Committee.

DWPetros

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Well, making any revisions is pretty easy given that we're just sketching here, but as Tom subtlety mentions, this could go on all day!

The main point of all this is to get the serious scenario design guys to link up with Tom and I to put some meat on the bones and think about an AP or something that might work. Along that line, think in terms of Themes - PTO, Normandy, Italy, Korea.... the board ideas are there for any of these plus other board ideas. We already have about 200 sketches here with no home. Many of them are along the same lines (ie. Ukranian villages - something that Pittman got me going on a year ago), but there are a lot of other ideas waiting for guys who have scenario design and PT skills.

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
DON'T FALL FOR IT, DON!

Don: Here, I've got this cool board
vM: It needs stuff on it

Don: Here, I added some stuff
vM: It needs the hills connected

Don: Here, I connected the hills
vM: It needs <insert niggling detail here>

This is why we don't do Art By Committee.
Hey there - I am German! ? So who should ask for niggling details if not I?

Besides, I am quite consistent with my idea. I voiced it already years back. And also in the variant as an idea for an overlay 'connecting' two standard geo-boards to create the one-single horseshoe-hill mass. Illustrations of that were 'dumped' by a former forum update just as my avatar has been by the latest one.

von Marwitz

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
OK, so I found a (partially) horseshoe shaped hill among the sketches. Can be used anywhere. Provides horseshoe on one side - large hill on the opposite side.
View attachment 7280
Von M & I have similar thoughts about what he calls a horseshoe effect and what I deem is a draw (in military terminology: maneuver room at the lower elevation end and diminishing maneuver room at higher elevation end usually depicted on maps with contour lines forming a wide U or V pattern. The center of the U or V may normally carry a water course.)

If one uses such a description as a broad guide, some of your depictions just seem wrong (e.g. placement of streams/gullies). The most natural place for the placement of a water course would be where the terrain makes such a U or V as constant erosion would wear down the walls of the forming valley/draw/ravine and create streams/gullies in its center. You have applied this somewhat to your pic here, but somehow it just looks all wrong. JMHO of course! I do love your work though!

DWPetros

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
This is good feedback. It is challenging to depict realistic elevation changes and other natural terrain features within our limited board sizes. Waterways are especially difficult; they either: 1) originate as a River at either end of a geoboard (4 hexes wide), 2) as a Stream, Canal or Gully - they can go anywhere, but must both originate and end on board (or spread out to 4 hexes wide on either side which looks odd). Streams, in my view, should start and stop on Level 0 (end on -1 OK), and in my view would look weird starting on +1 or above terrain levels. Gullies on the other hand, seem more flexible or realistic starting on higher levels and hence, I use Gullies when I use Hills. Below is a snip of another map, showing a Gully dropping from Level 3 down to Level 0. This seems to be the most realistic way of showing this sort of thing.

7314Now, if you have a sketch or other way of showing what you mean, all contained on any standard sized board - I'm all eyes :)

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
Still waiting for a waterfall. Why? I don't know but I think it would be neat (not to mention let 'em figure out how to handle it 2-level drop?).
Just a cliff. I expect you would need to point out "Climbing is NA."

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
On further thought, that would be a good exercise in how one rule can affect all the others. Drifting boats and swimmers would be eliminated, so you'd have to cross-reference those sections also. How about a boat-mounted multi-hex FG on both levels (above the waterfall and below)? Ah, no matter, E5.4 already prohibits FG.... What about a frozen waterfall? Would climbing still be NA? Or would you need permit an SSR permitting any Climbing unit designated as having ice axes the ability to climb? And you've have to alter B21.121 to ensure that current always flows toward the waterfall at the upper elevation and away from it at the lower.

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
On further thought, that would be a good exercise in how one rule can affect all the others. Drifting boats and swimmers would be eliminated, so you'd have to cross-reference those sections also. How about a boat-mounted multi-hex FG on both levels (above the waterfall and below)? Ah, no matter, E5.4 already prohibits FG.... What about a frozen waterfall? Would climbing still be NA? Or would you need permit an SSR permitting any Climbing unit designated as having ice axes the ability to climb? And you've have to alter B21.121 to ensure that current always flows toward the waterfall at the upper elevation and away from it at the lower.
Add a cave and you've got something there! (auto Mist at the lower level for a really big one?).

Gordon

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Not a geoboard idea per se, but with boards 80 - 83 being able to be positioned to form a long valley rather than a large hill. What about an overlay/overlays that would span the length of the valley with a river (maybe only 2 hexes wide on average) with a road along it that might cross it at several points)? It could be useful to show some of the fighting along the Rhone river during Blaskowitz's retreat from Operation Dragoon.

Gordon

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Another thought. Was any consideration ever given to making transparancy based overlays? i.e., buildings, shellholes, hedges, walls, brush, (pretty much anything really) that could be placed over open ground on any level?

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
Another thought. Was any consideration ever given to making transparancy based overlays? i.e., buildings, shellholes, hedges, walls, brush, (pretty much anything really) that could be placed over open ground on any level?
Most useful would be roads or railways in the form of transparent overlays. Had this idea years back.

von Marwitz