2 RR boards
One - like I already suggested
Two - a RR track rtuning between a could of small hills, minor woods, etc

footsteps

Just visiting
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
#9) A board with a horizontal river, the length wise river boards are fine, but a board (or series) with horizontal a river would be great!! We kinda of have this w/a fort board, but not the same . (IMO)
Some 6+ years ago I floated the idea of board-specific "vertical" river overlays. I called them SPDE (Solution to Problem that Doesn't Exist). I focused on bds 1-15 [EXC: bds 7 & 8 are NA] with a mind to 'rejuvenating' the use of those original 13 boards (SL Dozen).

Here's what they look like when "a river runs through it".
spde big 1200.png

Gordon

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Some 6+ years ago I floated the idea of board-specific "vertical" river overlays. I called them SPDE (Solution to Problem that Doesn't Exist). I focused on bds 1-15 [EXC: bds 7 & 8 are NA] with a mind to 'rejuvenating' the use of those original 13 boards (SL Dozen).

View attachment 6854
What a great idea!
A variation on that approach using several city boards could be a great way to achieve a port town/city effect.

Last edited:

DPetros

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

View attachment 6854
Interesting idea.. Lots of possibilities.

footsteps

Just visiting
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
What a great idea!
A variation on that approach using several city boards could be a great way to achieve a port town/city effect.
Interesting idea.. Lots of possibilities.
With the advent of Fort-style vertical rivers, I wonder about re-visiting this idea with compatible overlays for each half of a geo-board.

Who needs new river boards when overlays can do the job for you (and cheaper to boot)!

xenovin

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Vincent
Country
llUnited States
With the advent of Fort-style vertical rivers, I wonder about re-visiting this idea with compatible overlays for each half of a geo-board.

Who needs new river boards when overlays can do the job for you (and cheaper to boot)!
Maybe there is an opportunity for making a new overlay pack with rivers, diagonal hills, RR stations, etc for Fort and regular geo boards?

Carln0130

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hi Carl,
Yea, reusability. That seems to be the key. I try to think about making boards that can be used widely; some for all fronts (generic), some for limited fronts (Normandy, Russia, PTO, Italy, Korea). There are merits to both having more generic and specific boards - but they should all be useful for a wide variety of battles (some again within specific theaters). We don't have good Russian, enough Normandy, Korean, or PTO boards - but do have a lot of generic, too busy, inauthentic looking boards.
Look forward to seeing your releases. Can you give any hints about what they are?
Hi Don,
One was for a specific firefight in the French Indo-China War. I was able to get a VERY detailed description of the fighting there and the terrain of the battle. I jotted it down on a cave complex map from the RB and it was translated over. Definitely reusable.
Another stemmed from a debate about the ramshackle fences that seemed to dot a lot of Russian villages. I thought up an SSR to utilize their special characteristics and a map was made for a specific Russian village fight. It was not in the Steppes and isn't too far removed from a lot of the little village maps of Russia that we do have. That said, it did have the fences in there and the surrounding terrain was authentic.
Last and probably least reusable, was an excellent map for Iwo. If it were to be combined with a couple of other Iwo maps, it would likely have greater versatility, at least in depicting Iwo itself. It was a one map, narrow front scenario that it was made for though. Don, if you would like a look at them, please shoot me an email and I can send the VASL boards along. You would need to be able to use VASL to view them though, so please let me know.
Carl

DPetros

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Carl,
Sounds very cool - I'd be really interested in seeing the maps sometime. The 'Russian fence' thing - would like to hear about the SSR on that one. I've been substituting using Hedge artwork and rules for this very terrain type. Unfortunately, I needed to work within the existing rules - but I think for now, Hedges have a fairly similar design for effect. On the upcoming Ponyri HASL however, Wooden Fences are shown (and again, use Hedge rules).
Iwo is always of interest - terrain wise. Would like to see how that is shown and how the rules apply. I cannot access VASL, so no worries on sending but thanks anyway.

Gordon

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Now I'm fascinated. Even a reduced size image would show the overall approach. Assuming that wouldn't step on anyone's toes, so to speak. Great discussion, regardless.

Carln0130

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Carl,
Sounds very cool - I'd be really interested in seeing the maps sometime. The 'Russian fence' thing - would like to hear about the SSR on that one. I've been substituting using Hedge artwork and rules for this very terrain type. Unfortunately, I needed to work within the existing rules - but I think for now, Hedges have a fairly similar design for effect. On the upcoming Ponyri HASL however, Wooden Fences are shown (and again, use Hedge rules).
Iwo is always of interest - terrain wise. Would like to see how that is shown and how the rules apply. I cannot access VASL, so no worries on sending but thanks anyway.
Don, PM forth coming.

62nd Army

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

View attachment 6854
Very nice!! This is exactly what I was thinking, would put some life into some over used boards as well :)

Gordon

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
While I've been away, I've sketched several of the ideas mentioned above and will post them. For now, Here's one - a fort-style slanted hill..

View attachment 6954
Yes, very nice. Hard to know with just the black and white, but would more brush to break up some of the open ground be useful/wanted?

DWPetros

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I think someone wanted a -1 Ravine - here's that one using the Fort style and a village and a Level 0 causeway.

1548881002783.png