Generation Kill

Forum Conscript
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Ok I thought I saw this posted a few days ago....but can not find it here????
I was wondering what the take on this show is from the US populations point of view. I think it gives a little truth to the possible real life of the guys on the ground. Even with its stupid title/name....what numbnut came up with that????

Last edited:

Forum Conscript
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Well isn't this special....13 views and not one comment......?????

Is it to close to home guys? Sometimes hard to face the facts????:nuts:

kawaiku

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I wish I had HBO to watch it... luckily I was at a hotel and caught an episode. After watching it, it reminded me of Jarhead in a sense. And no it wasn't the desert that was reminding me, it was the feel of the movie that gave the feeling. Overall, I'm buying it for dvd if it comes out so I can watch it as much as I want... the great thing about the episode tho, was I FINNALLLY learned why they wore woodland BDU's in the invasion.

O and it's based off of a very popular book on the subject if you are wondering where they came up with the name Numbers.

Forum Conscript
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
well after watching each week ....The character developement is quite good, I wonder how much is based on truth and / or fiction. If based on facts/history....it is a sad statement on the US military and planning.:smoke:

Honus

Reaction score
well after watching each week ....The character developement is quite good, I wonder how much is based on truth and / or fiction. If based on facts/history....it is a sad statement on the US military and planning.:smoke:
Well, considering that the basis of the story is the book written by the reporter who was embedded with them, and that is has several scenes taken verbatim from the book, it seems to me that the accuracy factor is probably quite high.

Unless of course one assumes that the "Liberally biased" reporter just made it all up (he was from Rolling Stone after all). One of the HBO promotional pieces had interviews with a couple of the individuals portrayed in the mini-series who were also technical advisers, and they indicated that it was pretty much spot on...for whatever that might be worth.

Markdv5208

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Ok I thought I saw this posted a few days ago....but can not find it here????
I was wondering what the take on this show is from the US populations point of view. I think it gives a little truth to the possible real life of the guys on the ground. Even with its stupid title/name....what numbnut came up with that????
The book was fantastic. As a former US Marine I really liked each of the characters ie the Professional Marine (the Sgt who gets combat meritous S/Sgt), the crazy driver...gee, it's been 3 years since I read the book...so a lot of details are hazy....

As to the TV series, well, I intend to watch it FREE when it comes out via the public library system in 1 to 3 years (it's how I've seen John Adams and Rome). It's not that I'm cheap, it's that I'm broke and frankly can live without HBO esp since I know that if I'm patient I'll have complete access to it soon enough....

Mark DV
Ada, MI

Markdv5208

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Very good show and reminds for some reason of band of brothers.
Yeah, what is it with cable TV able to get the really good mini series?

I mention ROME, FROM THE EARTH THE MOON, JOHN ADAMS, BAND OF BROTHERS and now GENERATION KILL (which I will eventually see....)

Oh, and there's PACIFIC out next year with Dale Dye producing it (think BAND OF BROTHERS except in the PTO-based on the books HELMET FOR MY PILLOW and WITH THE OLD BREED)

So, what is it with HBO doing good innovative TV? Must be the fewer restrictions...

Mark DV
Ada, MI

Honus

Reaction score
Last night's episode was the best yet. That Captain reminds me so much of why I hated the Army--or at least one reason.

Honus

Reaction score
Yeah, what is it with cable TV able to get the really good mini series?

I mention ROME, FROM THE EARTH THE MOON, JOHN ADAMS, BAND OF BROTHERS and now GENERATION KILL (which I will eventually see....)

Oh, and there's PACIFIC out next year with Dale Dye producing it (think BAND OF BROTHERS except in the PTO-based on the books HELMET FOR MY PILLOW and WITH THE OLD BREED)

So, what is it with HBO doing good innovative TV? Must be the fewer restrictions...

Mark DV
Ada, MI
If it is closely based upon With The Old Breed, I would suggest not watching during dinner. I definitely will be interested in seeing it.

Forum Conscript
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Been watching it on Surfthechannel.com each week free and no advertising.:smoke:

Forum Conscript
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Over all the series is taking on a character of it's own...I need to read the book but that would ruin the show...books are always better.:smoke:

Markdv5208

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Got it reserved, along with JOHN ADAMS from the public library. Hope to see it over the thanksgiving break.

GREAT book, can the series be equal or better? I've heard that it is exactly that...

Mark DV
Ada, MI