Gears of War

ehandlr

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hrmm..I dunno what to say. My wife gave it to me today as an early Xmas present cuz she knew I really wanted it. I don't know what to say....I was expecting something that blew Resistance away.

I think what I did was I set my expectations too high due to the hype.

I'm at a loss for words really because I think I'm over judging it because there is no way it can be a bad game. I mean everyone likes it.

Its not that I even dislike it or anything...its just I think Resistance seems to be the better game (so far...very very early judgement).

I was hearing the hype of the graphics and I'm not sure its any better then Resistance.

I dunno..don't take this as fanboyism...I'm more upset at myself for overhyping GOW and it is a truly awesome game...

I'll play it more and see how my thoughts change on it.

Give me some feedback and let me know what I'm missing and stuff.

bradas

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Woah, im pretty darn shocked!

I still can't beleive a game like GoW has been made, even for the 360!

Yeah, i'm surpriesed you don't like it as much as what you hoped to.... If you had have played GoW first and THEN Resistance i expect your opinions would have changed...

I was really hyped for Fifa 07 and was let down, meh you should have seen how hyped i was :(

Bootaaay

Nibelung Valesti
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
This is the main reason I totally ignore hype, I knew GoW was going to be a great game back at e3, I didn't need to repeatedly look at every screen, every snippet of in game movie and hype myself up so much that the game was a total disapointment - same goes for Zelda; I knew it was going to be awesome, so I just ignored it until it released.

If you are having trouble getting into GoW there is one solution; co-op mode. Play co-op online, or split-screen with a good partner on hardcore and you'll be freaking hooked. The reason I like the game so much is because once you've got the hang of the controls and the cover system everything really flows together.

As for the graphics, I wasn't too wowed at first - I noticed some cool little things like the steam coming from your gun when you reload, but the majority of the surroundings are very similar at first and I had trouble differentiating between Locusts and other COG soldiers - the later half of the game is much, much more visually impressive.

For me, what makes GoW so freaking awesome is the fact that it feels very, very fun to play and that it's actually ruined other games for me; I now can't play Rainbow Six: Vegas because the covering system feels awkward compared to GoW and your teams slow pace feels painful after being able to run, snap into cover, and jump back out again the the space of a second in GoW. Also, I can't play Red Steel because I keep wishing it had some form of cover mode...but mostly I can't play this because the game freaking sucks so much ass it's unbelieveable.

Last edited:

bradas

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
I now can't play Rainbow Six: Vegas because the covering system feels awkward compared to GoW and your teams slow pace feels painful after being able to run, snap into cover, and jump back out again the the space of a second in GoW.

Also, I can't play Red Steel because I keep wishing it had some form of cover mode...but mostly I can't play this because the game freaking sucks so much ass it's unbelieveable.
Wow that may have saved me £40 from buying Rainbow Six.... Also i doubt i will be getting a Wii for a while now cause Red Steel is teh main game i want.

ANyway, ehandlr, I feel teh same as Bootaaay, i didn't watch any videos on GoW or Pics.... However Fifa was a different story, pics, videos etc... Once you have got the hang of the controls it's so easy to use, and online/offline multiplayer compltely wins my vote.

GoW=the best game ever made!

Bootaaay

Nibelung Valesti
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
If Red Steel is the main game you wanted - they yeah, do NOT waste your money. My god that game sucks, seriousley - I fail to understand how this even made it far enough to be released; it feels so very, very shoddy - you feel like whenever you want to turn left or right that you have to drag the whole screen with you - it isn't smooth in the slightest. What would have saved this game is a simple snap-cover feature and bullet-time; which would have fixed the two main problems with the game; 1) You have no where to hide while your character is spazzing out looking at the ceiling just because you tried to turn the camera and 2) Everything about aiming just ****ing sucks. It's hard to be so precise with such a retarded targeting recticule, and the Wiimote is almost too accurate in this occasion.

Also, Rainbow 6 is great for a R6 game. If you liked previous R6 games, go for it - it's still totally awesome in comparison to them. Gears of War is really much more arcadey and this is more realistic, and as such is much more challenging - but i'm too used to GoW to properly play it.

ehandlr

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I like the GOW covering system. I've gotten a good handle on that already. I think what bothers me is the the similarity in the guns and ammo. Its all very similar and the weapons kind of look and act the same so far.

I was having a problem identifying COG soldiers from the enemies as well in some cases.

I'm sure the further I get..the more I'll enjoy it. Its a great game no matter what.

I will say so far Resistance has better textures in game and better collisions. But thats what Insomniac focused on so thats no wonder. They specifically wanted better reaction in game with certain scenarios.

Dunno I'll keep putting my thoughts in this thread and see what I can come up with. I'm enjoying the game no matter what.

Adamaniac 791

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
There is nothing better than when a game lives up to its hype but then there is nothing worse than when a game doesn't live up to its hype either.

I try not to get overly sucked into hype but if it is hype for a series I like (e.g. MGS) I can't help but become excited about it and form expectations based on the games that preceded it in the series.

Dernhelm

Reaction score
Country
llSingapore
You said i dunno what to say twice. :rolleyes:

But really, i didnt like the game at first when the first few trailers/shots/etc.. came out. But when i went to my game shop, i saw a last copy on the shelf so i picked it up and never regreted. ;) Its really a good game. The BEST so far on the xbox360 graphic wise.

Now excuse me i need to go play GoW :D

bradas

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
There is nothing better than when a game lives up to its hype but then there is nothing worse than when a game doesn't live up to its hype either.

I try not to get overly sucked into hype but if it is hype for a series I like (e.g. MGS) I can't help but become excited about it and form expectations based on the games that preceded it in the series.
IMO Sprig and SuperSnake are gonna be sooooooo Cheesed off when they play MGS (in my eyes, MGS Sucks....)

Adamaniac 791

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Gaaaaaaaaah!

IMO Sprig and SuperSnake are gonna be sooooooo Cheesed off when they play MGS (in my eyes, MGS Sucks....)
NEVER SPEAK (well, type :rolleyes: ) THOSE WORDS AGAIN! :bite:

:nuts:

Hehe, I'm also an MGS nut in case you can't tell. :clown: The thing is according to the reviews Portable Ops has lived up to the hype, most reviews have given it 9 out of 10. ;)

ehandlr

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
See I think COD3 for 360 looks alot better then GOW. The textures are kinda crappy.

I'm up to the party where you gotta lure the Berserker outside and use that sattelite gun to kill it. Actually I just finished that part and I'm moving on.

Its definetly a fun game..but the hype bug may have ruined it for me.

bradas

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
^ crap that level was a pain in teh arse... ^

Call of Duty looks better?!!?!?!?!?!!?

Must get it :)

Bootaaay

Nibelung Valesti
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
I wouldn't agree tbh...COD3 looks great, but the lighting especially in Gears of War is above and beyond anything in COD.

ehandlr

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I think the textures in COD3 were much more realistic. GOW seems to lack textures....like you can't distinguish charactors from enemies. Dunno..I'm too early in the game to pass judgement yet.

Bootaaay

Nibelung Valesti
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Have you played through the 'Nightfall' chapter yet? That was the first time the game really wowed me in terms of graphics.

ehandlr

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
not yet. I've just beat the Berserker and I'm on the next mission. I'll beat it in the next week or so. I gotta let a friend borrow it for a bit when I'm done then maybe I'll register online because I know thats the main draw.

I hate the fact you can't invert the X axis (or is it the Y?). It only allows you to invert the side to side one.

Dernhelm

Reaction score
Country
llSingapore
not yet. I've just beat the Berserker and I'm on the next mission. I'll beat it in the next week or so. I gotta let a friend borrow it for a bit when I'm done then maybe I'll register online because I know thats the main draw.

I hate the fact you can't invert the X axis (or is it the Y?). It only allows you to invert the side to side one.
Dont worry, there will be more beserkers for you to fight ;)

lilninja

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Have you played through the 'Nightfall' chapter yet? That was the first time the game really wowed me in terms of graphics.
Yeah im on that now when you're with Dom. Arghhhh i love the graphics especially the lighting off all of Marcus's armour... I've had no problems with it yet but this game has bought me back to gaming. because i hadn't been playing much but then i played that and i was like WOOOW!