Gears of War Cost Microsoft $1 Billion

ehandlr

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
What the hell! This is retarded....even if every single person in the world who owns an Xbox 360 bought this..they still would not profit......

Full Text:

We'd say 512MB of RAM was probably to smart choice for the Xbox 360

During a podcast Q&A conducted by Microsoft's Major Nelson, Rein describes how he and Tim Sweeney, President of Epic, argued for a boost in RAM and a hard drive in the Xbox 360 to support HD games.

On a long-winded note, Rein explains how he "got a call from the chief financial officer of Microsoft Game Studio and he said 'I just want you to know you cost me a billion dollars'. And I said: 'No, we did a favor for a billion gamers'."

To sway Microsoft into going with 512MB of RAM, Rein said, "what Tim did was actually send a screenshot of what Gears of War would look like if we only had 256 megs of memory." According to Rein, this screenshot bolstered Microsoft into taking the more expensive route.

Rein goes on to explain the crucial importance of 512MB of RAM in the Xbox 360, stating, "you couldn't do this level of graphics if you had to both write your program and do your graphics in 256 megs. Nothing would really look that HD."

Sprig

Reaction score
First name
Luke
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Pssshh the game doesnt interest me one bit anyway.

Bootaaay

Nibelung Valesti
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
ehandlr said:
What the hell! This is retarded....even if every single person in the world who owns an Xbox 360 bought this..they still would not profit......
What are you talking about? Epic are going to make a truck load of cash from this game, the fact that Microsoft had to spend a loads of cash putting more RAM in their machine has nothing to do with the profit or loss of Gears of War.

Sprigner said:
Pssshh the game doesnt interest me one bit anyway.
Gutted. Looks to be one of the best shooters of the year and one of the best online games of the year imho - GoW ftw :p

Ewan said:
So does that mean the game will improve or get worse
Uh, neither - it just means that Microsoft were going to put 256mb of RAM in the 360 and that Epic convinced them that they would need 512mb to achieve the results they wanted.

Adamaniac 791

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Well if its to do with the hardware then this extra RAM will benefit all games, not just this particular one.

Sprig

Reaction score
First name
Luke
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Bootaaay said:
Gutted. Looks to be one of the best shooters of the year and one of the best online games of the year imho - GoW ftw :p
Ya? I think COD3 looks awesome and could easily be the things u just described imho-CoD3 ftw :p

Bootaaay

Nibelung Valesti
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
COD is going to be a great FPS, both offline and online - but Gears of War is offering somthing totally different, the only similarity being that you use guns to shoot things, if anything GoW is more comparable to Ghost Recon: Advanced Warfighter and as such is more of a tactical shooter than any FPS.

Sprig

Reaction score
First name
Luke
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Hmm ya i agree with the tactical thing and its definately obvious that this game and cod3 will be one of the top-sellers this year. :)
ya i dont wanna cause an arguement :p

ehandlr

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I misread the article...thats my fault. I thought the development of the game was a billion..not the RAM upgrade.

The RAM upgrade is well worth a billion dollars.

This game is going to be awesome...there is no taking that away from it.

I thin Resistance will be better honestly..but not by much.