Gear Driven Content?

Palantir

Member #86
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
To get some discussions going…

Do you think Turbine will be including more of those special "gear driven" only occurrences that rule in the WoW world? In LotRO the famous “Turtle Raid” in the Waterworks is one.
Those are raids/instances that are designed solely for the purpose of gaining special “gear” required so you can enter other special raids or instances you can’t enter without that special gear. The odds of you getting “the” gear each trip is set extremely low so you must run it repeatedly over & over hoping the piece you need drops this time – {these “raids” are not required to be done to advance the Epic Quest line}

It reminds me of WoW that had a lot of special "gear driven raids,” to do other content you had to have that gear for- quests were pretty much meaningless, gear was everything- it’s just not for me. I understand the instances/quests such as CD quest runs to get items needed to complete the quest. (That will drop each time)

I've noticed how seriously the "Turtle Raid" (getting that gear) is taken in places: plans made, tactics discussed, exact classes needed, links to other discussion on the issue, set times and dates for the runs, do them ASAP... just like in WoW.

So the question: is Turbine going to make more of these gear driven events? Do you enjoy them or want more of them in the game?
Maybe some players (obviously or it wouldn’t still be active) enjoy the challenge of repeating the “special” raids over and over to get gear - just to get to do another special instance that requires you to have that gear that has no bearing on quests/lines? Maybe it’s just the way things are now in LotR?

The concept behind having "gear driven" instances is it makes the players doing them “special” players – those that don't aren’t “special” & are not allowed to see or do those next really “special” instances Turbine touts. To me that run’s entirely counter to Tolkien’s entire premise of “fellowship” for all of Middle Earth. But then I’m a LotR lore guy, not a gamer guy. Could Turbine be conditioning players to think this is how they always intended LotRO to be- not as SoA was? Some players say they are just fun to do over & over, I wonder how many times they would do those just for “fun” if no special reward was given at the end.

I dislike the process of being compelled to repeatedly return to do the same thing especially Middle Earth when it is so vast. But sadly have found it necessary to do the crafting instances over & over (blah) to get that "mithril flake" required or get funds for that mind boggling expensive AH item never selling for less that 10G.

jayedub7423

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
One of the aspects that has turned off to WoW is the end game drive for better gear. And also that many of those who do the gear grind are also PvPing and if I want to be even close to competitive, I need to grind for gear as well.

But I do think that there does need to be something to do for a max level, and having something like weapons or gear to try to get is a way to keep a player interested in still playing the game.