GDW's Series 120

Tiberius

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I'm just reviewing 1941 as I just read your post. Soviet counters are infantry armies and tank groups and corps.Germans are infanttry corps and Panzer groups (which are pretty damn big). Month turns. Everybody gets to move and attack twice on thier turn. 16 hexes from the border to Moscow. Southern Finland only. Don't remember if I ever played it. COunters are punched. Looks easily playable in one evening. I'd set it up and check it out if it wasn't midnight and I didn't have Foggy's Braunschweig move to do. Seem to recall having Dark Nebula too and thinking it was pretty cool.

Wolfe Tone

Reaction score
Country
llIreland
I still have the The Battle of Raphia, 217 BC around the house somewhere. IIRC you could stack units together during set up but could not break them down after unless due to combat losses.

I did set it up once and dabbled around with it but never got the chance to play it out face to face. :(

pzgndr

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I've still got 1941. It always made for a nice travel game, something to stick in my bag and be able to play in an evening.

How about Steve Jackson games, the One Page Bulge game for Wacht am Rhein, anybody remember that? That's even smaller than the GDW 120 box.

Hartford688

Reaction score
Country
llNetherlands
:crosseye: Snapshot...now I'm sure I played that...way back in Traveller days...but it is so long ago I can remember nothing of it (getting so old!). Bet no hexes...square grid?

I seem to remeber there was a big related game on a huge spaceship...lots of maps of the various decks...did anyone else ever play that? Forgot the name of course.

Anyone got any memory pills?

Tom DeFranco

Reaction score
I used to have the 1757 Battle of Prague 120 game. Played it once (it seemed too generic). Played another guy's 1854 Battle of Alma (again, way too generic for my tastes) twice.

trauth116

Webmaster: hist-sdc.com
Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
I got a couple I think still:

Got:
Beda Fomm (probably not so good condition though)
Prague (I thik too)

mentis

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Snapshot, MayDay, and Asteroid (all of which I still have). Traveller took the majority of my gaming time in those days.

JohnnyWilson

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Snapshot?

I don't think Snapshot was a Series 120 game. It was more like tactical rules for shipboard fighting that cleaned up some of the abstraction of the basic Traveller black box.

I used some of the asteroid maps as sectors in my Traveller campaign. I think we only played Asteroid once as a game.

However, I remember a Guilford Courthouse in that series and enjoyed playing it with a friend when we were in graduate school. It was great if you could keep those Tar Heels at the fence once the battle started.

I have a similar-sized game package from Mayfair called Morgan's Rifles. Anyone ever play that?

Jormungandr

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Beda Fomm's probably my favorite out of the bunch, though there is a contingent which believes the game to be "solved." (a foolproof Italian plan)

Best things about it are (1) the way it treats armor's advantages over infantry at this time in the Western Desert. (armor can pin infantry relatively easily and is fairly difficult to destroy except with your own armor) and (2) the system used for modelling the morale of the formations. (when units are forced to retreat or are eliminated, their formation loses morale, making the outcome more likely the next time it comes up)