Country
llUnited States
GAZ NZ After thoughts: “KM- Down the Donets Corridor†vs ER-Chaser
(posted for Gaz-NZ)

(see map DtDC)

I’m not much of a story teller – so ill be brief and straight to the point

Defending as Soviets:

I decided on a layered defense on the left hand side as the Russians
I moved a SMG squad up to the woods where the first group of Germans died – quite some way in front of the fortress as it was called on the attacking Germans right side.
Behind them moving to a depression of scatter trees was a AT Rifle, 2 mgs, and a Platoon HQ.

They slowed down ERs troops briefly but did not achieve the desired effect – delay – I was hoping for.

I had originally thought of mining in front of the fortress all the way along to stop a rush down the natural trench – depression all along the front but instead chose to mine on one side only thinking of ER sneaking around and not a direct assault Which later occurred to my disgust hehe.
I was to have TRPed the whole area he advanced through on the right hand side – German – but decided on placing TRps else where I did not use. As I discussed with Tripps – always play with instinct – do think about placement – go on instinct.

Right hand side – Germans advance – I was unable to get his stugs with my AT gun on the far left and my big HE KV tank before he died couldn’t hit anything as ER smoked.
Well placed smoke.
Again a simple tactic.

Running out of me a reserve group tried to hold and, failed, also a Company HQ missed in there attempts to blow up a stug in close with grenades etc as did 3 other squads for 3 turns.
That was real bad luck as I have never had that happen before.

Middle

I also went to place aTRP on the city for my 130mm at the start but also thought he wouldn’t end up there quickly enough – I was so wrong lol and moved that too to redundant location I didn’t use.

My men in the city died fast in his heavy artillery bombardment.
Was a straight forward and intelligent thing to do by ER.
Killing the city defenders and moving in under dust cover.

Mine field in the city was a waste as mine fields are useful in defending only with troops additionally mowing down attackers stuck in the field.
With my guys dead or routing it was a waste.
As I initially thought they should have gone in front of the fortress.
Next time ïŠ

Also one bad luck thing happened my AT gun right that the middle back opened up early – I forgot my armour arc was on.
I lost that Green AT gun early on.
As he was green he wasn’t supposed to open up that far away.
With that gone at the end it was all over as his stug charged up the middle to take the big flag.

And speaking of green – I got a lot of green guys when I bought regular troops and was disappointed I buying 1 KV green assault tank.
Next time Veteran troops all round will be bought.

The factory – left side defending as Russian

My defense worked as I thought it would save for his 150 guns pummeling it from all angles which nearly lost it.
At the end I managed to keep it neutral.
I was happy with that.
ERs pummeled the factory with 150s and really did the damage there the whole game.

My KV tank was sitting behind the factory, being green really caused a massive delay in shooting.
I should have kept him more in cover.
Taking one of ERs stugs out I got a bit cocky I think, although in saying that I was disengaging when he did take my tank out cause I felt it was too risky.

I was happy with my defense in some aspects but in others felt some bits should have been moved around a bit more and I wish I had bought vets instead of some regular troops.
That way the green AT guns and KV would still be there.
I also would have preferred to have stuck with my defense with the TRPs and mines moved as opposed to buying and defending with 5 or so KVs.

Attacking as Germans – left side

I actually intended to attack on the German left as a feint
I pushed up there.
Not much really to discuss there.
I got further than I expected though.
My Germans assaulting were mowed down at the end as 1 pioneer squad and 2 squads simply would not throw there explosives onto a 2 ** factory to blow it.
That would have given cover to the troops coming in.
I got frustrated and thought stuff it.

Like the KVs being in close my troops took there time throwing grenades taking it out.
Was a shock as in all games played had prior my guys take armor out fast. In close – Russian or german
Not in this game attacking or defending.

I had thought of putting 150s on the hill to pound the factory but felt it was too obvious a deployment to risk them being destroyed by counter artillery – mortar fire.
ER did it – I didn’t lol.
I moved some 150s up but didn’t really get good LOS to the buildings – one did but the rest were poorly set due to the way I set up and estimate firing arcs.
A lot of people may be surprised but my set ups for all cm games are fast, I estimate arcs etc and don’t really do a lot of checking as I don’t have time.
My style of play.
Cal it instinct and I will always play like that.
I check some arcs but most play guessing to an extent.

Apart from the left side guys not blowing the building and possibly giving me a draw there I was happy with the left side attack.

Middle

Was messy and slow.
I was disappointed at how many guys I had shooting at one Russian squad and how they didn’t pin or die.
Even spotting, some squads I couldn’t see with tons of HQs there watching.
I got lazy , careless and frustrated in the middle with this I think – with how it progressed but it was one of those things.

Yes I could have used smoke but with all that covering fire I felt I didn’t need it.

I had at one point 3 mg 42s up in a building and even with them shooting mgs don’t really suppress.
One of the reasons I’m sick of CMBB is with MG 42s not suppressing or mowing down guys they are pointless.
And I bought a lot.
I think I should have bought more stugs or a stuka as I originally said to Tripps I was going to buy one.

In the middle I played tango with his KVs chasing them around and doing a werid dance trying to kill them with some panzer Gs.
TO no avail I lost two panzer Gs, my stug got one, my AT gun and AA gun hammered one into submission and my troops got another.
I was happy with that.

With a layer defense ER slowed me down enough so by the time I was at the middle flag my guys were worn out to go any further and he had more defenses further on.
Good defending by ER.

Right side fortress

ER basically dealt to my guys attacking with his dug in infantry, my tanks should have been there earlier on with my guys attacking them but came in late due to a fear of AT gun emplacements.
I also should have taken an extra 2 squads from the middle to take the right side as backup.

His KV with canister dealt to my guys combined with there ambushing of my guys too its toll.
My guys did not throw nades at his tank so I blame them for there own deaths and failure.
They had opportunities – no irons crosses there however.
I placed a 150 and AT gun but both missed the tank when they had a chance also so with his KV pulled back, I couldn’t get him and he sat back in an unreachable position.
My PZ Gs tried going up the rear but also lucked out
Was hoping HC rounds would do the trick but found even on rear shots they had no chance.
I should have really taken stugs instead.
I took Gs as they had more HE.

Overall I enjoyed the games.
My only change would be to have taken maybe 3 -4 stugs and dumped 3 PZ Gs and maybe have used smoke more.

ER played well and it was a memorable game.
He deserved his wins. I totally enjoyed playing these sides – maps.

I really enjoyed this game and my last Vets tourney game against Scipio I must add.
The last two mirrored games have been tricky and fun.
I hope the last maps are great as well.
Good maps make the game more enjoyable.
Well done to all who make these maps how they are as it really helps make this all worthwhile.

Cheers

GAZ

ER_Chaser

Reaction score
Country
llChina
For those who aer more interested in tactics and strategy details, GAZ's AAR is much better than mine. I was just trying to be fun (actually might be a littel confusing :D ... not sure about the fun effect at all). But GAZ was right onto the point, very clear and logic.