Gavutu-Tanambogo: routing back to the boats

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
GT15 "If no suitable terrain (building or jungle) exists, the American player may invoke G14.41 (for routing to Beached LC only) for his units during the RtPh. The broken unit may then remain aboard until rallied; once returned to Good Order, G14.231 applies. Until vacant, the LC will remain Beached and is not subject to Recall as per G14.232."

While in the LC Passengers are CR instead of broken [G12.13], but once on hinterland hexes they break normally. If the landing is made on a hinterland hex next to deep ocean it is possible that the only place to rout to will be the LC. The problem is here:

G12.124 "ACTIONS: Aside from (un)loading (12.4-421; 12.45), the only actions allowed by LC Passengers are MC/TC resolution (△; 12.13), unhooking of Guns (12.42), wreck removal (12.43) and SW Transfer/Recovery."

In particular, rallying is not an option. Is the only option once the a unit has routed back to the boat to rout out of the LC per D6.1? If the LC is beached across a hexside, is the rout still to the same hex per D5.311 or is it to the hex against which the LC is beached? If it routs out of the LC to the "beach" hex and there are enemy units in that direction is the unit unable to rout out of the LC?

If, despite G12.124, rallying is an option, per G12.13 "No leadership ... modifier may be applied by/to a unit aboard a LC." Is this still true when rallying?

JR

Last edited:

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
Assuming rallying is possible on LCs despite G12.124, can an unbroken leader use voluntary rout to re-enter a LC? If an unbroken leader is on an LC with other units that are broken, must it unload from the LC ASAP per G14.231, leaving the broken units to self rally? Can a GO leader re-enter a boat that has broken units, or are the units on the boat only able to rally by self-rally?

JR

WuWei

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Tobias
Country
llGermany
Good catch! We didn't know, so we just rolled for Rally, but it clearly isn't allowed, so that was a mistake.
This makes it even harder for the Americans to win.

As a house rule, I would allow Rally rolls, and I would allow leader rallies and the leadership bonus for rally purpose. I also would allow a leader to stay with brokies on an LC, and to rout with them onto an LC, but I wouldn't allow a GO leader to enter a LC voluntarily.

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
Good catch! We didn't know, so we just rolled for Rally, but it clearly isn't allowed, so that was a mistake.
This makes it even harder for the Americans to win.

As a house rule, I would allow Rally rolls, and I would allow leader rallies and the leadership bonus for rally purpose. I also would allow a leader to stay with brokies on an LC, and to rout with them onto an LC, but I wouldn't allow a GO leader to enter a LC voluntarily.
I think the idea was that broken units could rally, and that the SSR missed that detail. I myself would allow GO leaders to enter LC with broken units too. It seems petty to force them to voluntary break so they can re-enter the LC so they can rally the units on it.

JR

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
Another question: what ML do units use to rally, assuming rally is allowed? Are they all eight ML per G12.122, even halfsquads, fanatics & leaders that aren't eight ML leaders?

JR

Last edited: