Gap in Wall and LOS

hayman

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Can units at ground level trace a line of sight through the gap (gate?) in a wall depiction when neither unit are in the wall hex? e.g. Board 43 M9 to R9. Note: the LOS does not run along an entire road depiction.
Or does the wall block LOS regardless of the gap depiction?

RandyT0001

Elder Member
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
First name
Cary
Country
llUnited States
Can units at ground level trace a line of sight through the gap (gate?) in a wall depiction when neither unit are in the wall hex? e.g. Board 43 M9 to R9. Note: the LOS does not run along an entire road depiction.
B9.1 "... represents the wall/hedge and will affect any LOS through it, except for obvious breaks in the depiction such as 6W9-X9 ..."

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
It can trace a LOS through the gap as stated by Randy per B9.1.

If a unit during its MPh [Edit: as well as during its RtPh or APh] moved behind that wall and the Defenders LOS is through the gap, then the moving unit does not get Wall TEM.

If a unit is located behind a wall and fired on during the DFPH (i.e. Final Fire), it does get Wall TEM even though LOS goes through the gap in the wall. Still, LOS is not blocked if it goes through the gap when Final Fire is targetting units behind the Wall hex even though unit in the Wall hex do get Wall TEM.

von Marwitz

Last edited:

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
It can trace a LOS through the gap as stated by Randy per B9.1.

If a unit during its MPh moved behind that wall and the Defenders LOS is through the gap, then the moving unit does not get Wall TEM.

If a unit is located behind a wall and fired on during the DFPH (i.e. Final Fire), it does get Wall TEM even though LOS goes through the gap in the wall. Still, LOS is not blocked if it goes through the gap when Final Fire is targetting units behind the Wall hex even though unit in the Wall hex do get Wall TEM.

von Marwitz
Almost correct but the gap in the Wall/Hedge exists during the RtPh and APh as well. As B9.3 points out "If the LOS crosses the wall/hedge hexside through a road/gapJ11 depiction (such as 6W9-X9) the wall/hedge TEM can only apply if the target is a non-moving unit. " Since during both RtPh and APh units are considered moving (B10.4 ...Broken units may neither attack in any way nor move except to rout during the RtPh; 4.7 ADVANCE PHASE: Infantry units which are neither broken, pinned, TI, nor marked with a CC counter may use the APh to move one hex... & 3.7 ADVANCE PHASE (APh): The ATTACKER may move any of his Infantry units capable of movement...), the gap can have some impact in both of these phases as well.

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
Almost correct but the gap in the Wall/Hedge exists during the RtPh and APh as well. As B9.3 points out "If the LOS crosses the wall/hedge hexside through a road/gapJ11 depiction (such as 6W9-X9) the wall/hedge TEM can only apply if the target is a non-moving unit. " Since during both RtPh and APh units are considered moving (B10.4 ...Broken units may neither attack in any way nor move except to rout during the RtPh; 4.7 ADVANCE PHASE: Infantry units which are neither broken, pinned, TI, nor marked with a CC counter may use the APh to move one hex... & 3.7 ADVANCE PHASE (APh): The ATTACKER may move any of his Infantry units capable of movement...), the gap can have some impact in both of these phases as well.
Good spot! I have corrected my post to include this.

Cheers,
von Marwitz

lightspeed

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Is there any option to cross the wall (with a gap) at 1MF + COT and get the wall TEM? I don't think so.

I do remember a discussion about gaps in bocage, Fort said that using the "gate" (gap) was optional.
I don't think his comment is supported by the rules.

indy

Larry

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
B9.3 - If the LOS crosses the wall/hedge hexside through a road depiction (such as 6W9-X9) the wall/hedge TEM can only apply if the target is a non-moving unit.

Larry

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
That rule applies to bocage: B9.5 All rules pertaining to walls [EXC: HEAT NA (C8.31)] are applicable to bocage except as modified below.