Forum update to v2.0 in progress

Dr Zaius

Chief Defender of the Faith
Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
The forums will be getting a software update in the near future and will be closed for a few hours. This will update the forums to Xenforo 2.0.

After the update is complete, you will notice a few things have been moved around or will work slightly different. These updates will keep the forum software running smoothly, and the changes should not be drastic.

igycrctl

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Will it stop the spammers from posting links?

Dr Zaius

Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
There is no way to completely stop spammers. But we have significantly slowed them thanks to some server tweaks and the tireless efforts of the mods.

Sparafucil3

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Jim
Country
llUnited States
Tell me what I need to do.
Send a PM to Dr Ziaus and see if he takes you on. These days, the links are down to a couple a day. That won't last. In the recent past, it ran to 100+. -- jim

igycrctl

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Okay, thanks. Just curious, are these mostly robots or are people spamming the site?

Dr Zaius

Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
Unfortunately, we ran into a MySQL issue which prevented the update of the forum software. As soon as we get that issue resolved, the forum update will be done.

I don’t know exactly how long this is going to take, so the update could happen anytime within the next few days.

Doug Kirk

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Did something change with the forums? How did you change the color of the background? It used to be blue and grey, now it is black. Ugh! I have looked everywhere, I assumed the core theme at the bottom would change it, but no luck.

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
Welcome to the world of constant change - and quite often not for the better
Patience. Yesterday, the Resources section was not there, now it is. Probably and hopefully, it will soon be possible to upload files again. As long as it is not pink, lilac or other such things, I don't care about colors or their absence.

I am a friend of 'Never Change a Running System' and personally would not waste any time on any new software just for the sake of it being new. I just hope that if a forum software update takes place that there is some unavoidable reason for it.

That said, it's not my show, I ain't running the forum, I get it for free, so it ain't my call.

von Marwitz

Paul M. Weir

Forum Guru
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Country
llIreland
There are a few features that have disappeared.

• Colour schemes.
  • Sub-fora use a drop down list rather being overtly displayed (eg the producer's sub-fora).
  • A thread like this one won't use the full width available in the browser (Firefox in my case), thus leaving large blank space each side and stretching posts vertically.
  • "Mark forums read" is an all or nothing, before in most cases you could mark just one forum or fora tree as being read.
  • Sometimes a typo will cause all the text to be marked bad. This seems more a bug than a missing feature.
Hopefully these will are short term deficiencies, unavoidable in an upgrade.

Dr Zaius

Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
The forum was moved onto a new (faster) server and updated to Xenforo 2.0 yesterday.

As of this post, you are still seeing the old Core theme from Xenforo 1.0, which we cannot continue to use. I am working on transitioning to the Xenforo 2.0 default theme. Once I activate that, you will definitely notice some things will be moved around and/or look and work a little different. I intend to keep things pretty simple by just using the default Xenforo 2.0 theme instead of a custom theme which would have to be tweaked and modified every time there's an update for the forum. The look may be a bit on the basic side, however, that should ensure everything works the way it should.

Also, as part of the update we'll be installing the Xenforo Media system, which I had never previously bothered to add. That will give you some additional options for images and videos and enable member to sort things in user-created galleries. Look for that soon.

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
And so far I have not found the function that allows you to jump to the last unread post in a given thread (but instead only to the last page of that thread).