Games You Are Playing not named Advanced Squad Leader

Faded 8-1

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Mark
Country
llUnited States
It's a big hobby! The last couple decades especially have seen a huge amount of wargamey (and non-wargamey) goodness get published. I'm guessing most of us play some other games too.

So what else has been on your table recently? Solo or with friends? Wargame, Euro, Ameritrash, D&D, Classic - what kind of games do you like?

ASL will always be the game most of us keep coming back to (it's a lifetime hobby, no doubt), but you can use this thread to let us know what else you are currently playing.

And if you ONLY play ASL, that's cool too.

Honza

The Art Of Wargames
Reaction score
First name
Jan
Country
llCzechia
Only play ASL, but have recently purchased some ACW games, OCS, BCS, Death Ride Kursk, and La Bataille games to explore later on.

olli

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llGermany
SFB, GBOH all the Solo sub games and zeppelin ones from compass and gMT, then a slew of WWII games

Vinnie

See Dummies in the index
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
This past week.
Sheriff of Nottingham, Khan of Khans and, one night werewolf and a little bit of DnD.
I'm trying to lay through my games collection just now.
Next up, Once Up in a Time, coup and Carcassonne.

DVexile

Reaction score
First name
Ken
Country
llUnited States
Shorter family cooperative games such as Pandemic, Forbidden Desert and Forbidden Island are popular with my daughter. She loved Quests of Yore (lightweight D&D kind of thing based on the game in the movie Onward).

We’ve had Great Western Trail (or as I call it, Advanced Cow Leader) on the shelf for a number of months, but the rules burden is high enough the rest of the family hasn’t been keen to jump in nor I interested enough to solo it first.

JoeArthur

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
one night werewolf
One night a week I go to a games club and make like a parasite - I just play whatever is going.

This week was:

The quality of modern board games is just so good - both in the manufacture and the thought that has gone into them.

At the end of the evening they sit down and play Werewolves or Secret Hitler which are great fun. I think maybe they should have thought of another historical figure other than Hitler for the game but hey.

There was another game somebody had where you goal was to kill Hitler - that one was much worse..........you were encouraged to take a photo of the group at the end and post it on the "we killed Hitler" website.🤢

Craig Benn

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
World in Flames 5th edition tonight.
Ongoing pbem 'fighting wings' games - I'm running a Guadalcanal air campaign as referee.
Also started GMing a MERP role playing campaign set in first age Beleriand.
Pokemon card battle game with my 7 year old son.

ASL on Friday.
Need more time to fit it all in!

olli

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llGermany
This past week.
Sheriff of Nottingham, Khan of Khans and, one night werewolf and a little bit of DnD.
I'm trying to lay through my games collection just now.
Next up, Once Up in a Time, coup and Carcassonne.
Ah and add the first three of this post to mine as I’m at Vinnies at the moment !

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
I'm looking at playing the opposite end of the spectrum, World in Flames.
Interesting...

In fact, I bought a lot of this stuff, because (I think) I like the economy/supply/logistics part of it. And theoretically, it could be combined with Days of Decision.

There is even an electronic version of it (that never seems to get completely fixed).
And a larger convention/tournament in Germany.

But I have yet to have a go at it.

More time needed...

von Marwitz

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
Also started GMing a MERP role playing campaign set in first age Beleriand.
Good man!

I played Rolemaster on Middle Earth for decades. But my campaigns ran around 1640 T.A.
I've got almost everything ever printed by ICE on Middle Earth. Good times!

von Marwitz

JimWhite

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
...all the Solo sub games and zeppelin ones from compass and gMT...
@olli

Curious...what games exactly are you referring to here?

Wondering because I've heard about Compass games and am wondering if they are worth the investment.

Gamer72

Reaction score
First name
Ian
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Been playing the Hexasim game Last Eagles Quatre Bras with a mate, we’re moving on to the Ligny game tomorrow night. On Vassal, I’ve been soloing A Time For Trumpets, although that’s presently stalled due to playing Brevity Assault scenarios on the gaming table.

RRschultze

Reaction score
First name
Ian
Country
llUnited Kingdom
I’ve been playing Arkham Horror the card game as I’ve heavily invested into buying everything that’s been released. Also bought ‘Target for Today’ and just finished reading rules and about to take off with my first mission aboard ‘the Lepper Colony’ a B17F.

olli

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llGermany
@olli

Curious...what games exactly are you referring to here?

Wondering because I've heard about Compass games and am wondering if they are worth the investment.
The Hunters, the hunted, silent Victory, beneath the Med, Raiders of the Deep(WWI) and Zepplin raiders

Manilianus

His Royal Fubar
Reaction score
First name
Michał
Country
llPoland
The One Ring RPG, plus couple of other RPG's with my non-wargaming friends. And going to start my first Up Front soon.

I'm going to look into OCS/GTS, Johnny Reb / Across a Deadly Field games, too.