Gamerswithjobs pre-view, claims "beta" demo next week.

junk2drive

Reaction score
Just poking fun at Canadians Mike. Eastern Canadians tend to pronounce bout more like boat. We, as in your Southern neighbors, would mimic them in jest with "oat and aboat in a boat" for out and about in a boat.

Back to games.

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
Just poking fun at Canadians Mike. Eastern Canadians tend to pronounce bout more like boat. We, as in your Southern neighbors, would mimic them in jest with "oat and aboat in a boat" for out and about in a boat.

Back to games.
I'm familiar with the meme, but seriously, I've spent weeks in the east during summer courses and have several friends from Ontario - I've never heard anyone pronounce it like that except in skits on (American) TV.

Then again, I've never actually met anyone with a Boston accent either. So maybe I'm just not travelling in the right circles. I've always wondered if thewood and redwolf pahk their cah too fah from the bah....

EDIT - having said that, I did encounter two Newfoundlanders in the last year at work whom I just noticed for the first time pronounce the letter "H" as 'haitch" - with a voiced H as in "house". Wild stuff.

Last edited:

junk2drive

Reaction score
Could be more of a rural thing like our rednecks. I grew up near Detroit in a factory town where a lot of the workers came over from Windsor every day. Or got green cards and lived in the US.

My parents had a friend who was Scot Canadiian that talked fast and you couldn't understand half of what he said.

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
Could be more of a rural thing like our rednecks. I grew up near Detroit in a factory town where a lot of the workers came over from Windsor every day. Or got green cards and lived in the US.

My parents had a friend who was Scot Canadiian that talked fast and you couldn't understand half of what he said.
If you're saying you've actually heard it, you have been exposed to a piece of Canadiana that ironically I have not - colour me jealous!

Part of my job now is doing the occasional transcription of dictation tapes for a Scots doctor. Luckily he is educated and the transcriptions all tend to be similar, but throw in Latin terms and specific medical jargon and anyone just starting out is driven to distraction if not familiar with the dialect. Worse was actually going to Scotland many years back and trying to listen to the Jocks of the Scottish Division in the other ranks' club after a pint or two...

junk2drive

Reaction score
Most of the time that I was around him, it was my parents, him and his girlfriend, playing cards and drinking. As the night went on, it became even more difficult to understand him.

Last Halloween a Los Angeles talk radio host of Scot Canadian decent, read a version of Jekyll and Hyde. Between the brogue and the old English words it was beautiful.

Last edited:

Geordie

CM Moderator
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Most of the time that I was around him, it was my parents, him and his girlfriend, playing cards and drinking. As the night went on, it became even more difficult to understand him.

Last Halloween a Los Angeles talk radio host of Scot Canadian decent, read a version of Jekyll and Hyde. Between the brogue and the old English words it was beautiful.
Well I can say with some confidence that I have no trouble understanding Scots!

Mad Russian

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
And "we" can say with some confidence that even when you write the words down we have some issue understanding you! :p

Good Hunting.

MR

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
I have to seriously doubt that PCO is even on the radar at BFC. There has been no public mention of the game there, and even when the first two releases were at their height of popularity, how many people did the official forums draw? 20?

Don't get me wrong, I'm a fan of Panzer Command and have volunteered for the beta test team because I think it will be a viable alternative to the new CMX2 game engine for those who enjoyed the "abstract" model of CMX1. But PzC:O is going to be a free download - and certainly no threat to BFC.

Does anyone seriously believe anyone - least of all BFC - would see it as a threat?

It's a ridiculous notion. I plan on owning both games and hope that I will enjoy both of them. I also hope both game series continue to flourish.

It's laughable to think that BFC is worried in the least - or even watching what Matrix is doing - unless you have evidence to present to the contrary?
Just as an update....a PzC:O coder posted this at Matrix:

From what I have seen of CMBN in videos and read in AARs, I don't think there is any real point comparing the two games anymore.

Sure, they both play very differently, but that is perhaps not the point. One game clearly has had a lot of money invested on development of the code and graphical assets. The other has had exactly nothing ($0) spent on it, and sadly it shows. Now of course Matrix is giving away their game for free for the most part. I guess they really had to do this otherwise they would have been seen to be making money off the backs of a lot of volunteers hard work.

And boy did those boys work hard! I know! But still they all had day jobs, and work was done on an "interest only" ad-hoc fashion without any Matrix leadership input or a even a cohesive design plan.

Bottom line is if you are lucky enough to have money and time to play both, then great do that and enjoy. But if, as I suspect, most of us only have time (or money) to devote to one game "system", I strongly suspect you would be better off with CMBN.

All IMHO (as the coder of PCO).

S
An interesting set of comments given they are coming from someone connected strongly with the PzC:O product.

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2789512&mpage=3&key=&#2797824

BlitzCanuck

Pretend Command Sgt. Maj.
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Interesting comments from Stridor. He recommends CMBN over PCO based solely on PCO having no money spent on it's "code and graphical assets".
Not sure what that means in practical terms but interesting nonetheless.

BlitzCanuck

Pretend Command Sgt. Maj.
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Speaking of demo's....has there been any indication as to whether the official demo would be released prior to the actual game, or perhaps at the same time or even later?

Geordie

CM Moderator
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Speaking of demo's....has there been any indication as to whether the official demo would be released prior to the actual game, or perhaps at the same time or even later?
From what they tell me, possibly a few days before.

Geordie

CM Moderator
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Either that or your really Steve, with a cunning plan to take control of all the CM message boards around the world!
Actually, I get all my info from official sources. You can get quite a lot from little bits here and there!